Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rider
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VA I used before moving was full of walking Veteran billboards. I estimate at least 95% of the people there were wearing something advertising they are Veterans. That included on their vehicles in the parking lot as well.

Today, I had my first appointment at the Va where I now live and was hard pressed to find anyone that had any thing indicating they are a Vet. I never understood why so many guys wore the Vet shit at the VA anyway. I mean, it’s a no brainer that the majority of the people at a VA facility are Veterans.

Why do I care? I don’t have a clue.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Those guys wear it everywhere. There's no conscious decision to be a billboard specifically at the VA, some guys just love letting everyone know they served. As a young vet, I can tell you most of my buddies wear cammo baseball caps, or vet-this, vet-that tees, etc etc. They just love being recognized for serving.

Reactions: PE4CE and Max's 57

·
Bronze member
2,760 Posts
Saw a guy at a restaurant, he was an older jent.was wearing a lot of medals and a ww2 hat.i paid for his breakfast on the way out.when I hit the hwy,a cop pulled me over for speeding,but his printer was malfunctioning, I thank every vet I see now lol.

·
Rider
1,303 Posts
That’s ok Doc us old school cops know how to write tickets not print them out from the in-car printer lol. I’m a vet I don’t wear anything advertising it same with anything Police I don’t wear anything like that when off duty.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The VA I used before moving was full of walking Veteran billboards. I estimate at least 95% of the people there were wearing something advertising they are Veterans. That included on their vehicles in the parking lot as well.

Today, I had my first appointment at the Va where I now live and was hard pressed to find anyone that had any thing indicating they are a Vet. I never understood why so many guys wore the Vet shit at the VA anyway. I mean, it’s a no brainer that the majority of the people at a VA facility are Veterans.

Why do I care? I don’t have a clue.
I like the Vet markers ppl wear at the VA. If you met them outside the VA and didn't know they worked there but did know they're a vet there's usually an instant camaraderie of sorts. Seque that into the VA and it's an instant personal talking point you can identify with and realize there's a person behind the job. They're very overworked. I hope the MISSION Act alleviates some of that.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Rider
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I like the Vet markers ppl wear at the VA. If you met them outside the VA and didn't know they worked there but did know they're a vet there's usually an instant camaraderie of sorts. Seque that into the VA and it's an instant personal talking point you can identify with and realize there's a person behind the job. They're very overworked. I hope the MISSION Act alleviates some of that.
I wasn’t referring to the employees, I was talking about the patients.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I’m wasn’t referring to the employees, I was talking about the patients.
Ah. I've seen both. In Chicago & ATL VA hospitals I see Vet all over the place. If I get away from large metro hospitals and don't see it as much.

I suppose it serves the purpose of conversation starter. If I see a "Lele Makou No Na Puali" badge I stop & talk.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose it serves the purpose of conversation starter. If I see a "Lele Makou No Na Puali" badge I stop & talk.
I’ll sometimes do the same if I see crossed pistols. If you like to talk to people I guess that makes sense.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will sometimes wear this if it suits my mood
image.jpg

·
Senior member / gold
6,425 Posts
The only Vet thing on my bike is a tiny bar on the fender bib my buddy made for me.
20190531_154643.jpg
20190531_154626.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,884 Posts
I don't wear anything that would let people see I'm a Vet... including bumper stickers, vanity plates et al.... but I do wear a Folds of Honor ball cap... bought it at Dairy Queen on a run one day... must have been the first one they sold.. they were so appreciative that I got a free Sundae with it... or maybe it was the $5 lunch deal;)

·
Senior member / gold
6,425 Posts
People need to be reminded that other people have put their lives on the line to protect the freedom they enjoy. If this country would make a 2 year military service a requirement, like some other countries do, for every man and woman between the ages of 18 to 25, without any deferment or exemption, there would be no need to advertise being a veteran.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As for me, I usually don't advertise being a Vet. I know what I've done over the course of a 22 year career. I have maybe one hat with retired AF on it...and pretty much wear that only to specific Vet events...if I attend. A couple of French Foreign Legion Vets sent me a couple of polo shirts to celebrate our flying together in Zaire back in the 70's, and I wear those shirts now and then because the writing on them is in French...hardly anyone today knows French, so no big deal. :D Nothing on the cars or motorcycle either...with today's society the way it is, I WILL NOT make myself a target for the anti-military crowd. There seems to be no shortage of the type now.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
As for me, I usually don't advertise being a Vet. I know what I've done over the course of a 22 year career. I have maybe one hat with retired AF on it...and pretty much wear that only to specific Vet events...if I attend. A couple of French Foreign Legion Vets sent me a couple of polo shirts to celebrate our flying together in Zaire back in the 70's, and I wear those shirts now and then because the writing on them is in French...hardly anyone today knows French, so no big deal. :D Nothing on the cars or motorcycle either...with today's society the way it is, I WILL NOT make myself a target for the anti-military crowd. There seems to be no shortage of the type now.
I'm surprised things are like that around the Cape.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm surprised things are like that around the Cape.
Not so much around here...a pretty good military presence exist. More than half my duty section at NASA have military backgrounds. I was speaking in the macro sense about a large segment of this country when I presented why I don't advertise military service in my first comment. I will always keep my vehicles 'sanitized' to a large degree (i.e., no smart ass bumper stickers, no decals or stickers of political, ethic, religious emblems or symbols, etc.). I don't want to draw attention to myself or my family If I happen to end up somewhere in a bad part of Anytown, USA. I hope I make sense.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Not so much around here...a pretty good military presence exist. More than half my duty section at NASA have military backgrounds. I was speaking in the macro sense about a large segment of this country when I presented why I don't advertise military service in my first comment. I will always keep my vehicles 'sanitized' to a large degree (i.e., no smart ass bumper stickers, no decals or stickers of political, ethic, religious emblems or symbols, etc.). I don't want to draw attention to myself or my family If I happen to end up somewhere in a bad part of Anytown, USA. I hope I make sense.
Completely understand. Particularly if you come from that background and are traveling through Everytown.

·
Senior member / gold
6,425 Posts
I don't advertise politics, but I do advertise patriotism. I have never had anyone be rude or nasty to me. Give respect, get respect. I have had more, "Thank you for your service!" in the past 5 years, than in the previous 40 years before that. It has gone across all races, creeds, and age groups. I am not arrogant about it, and ALWAYS RESPECTFUL to everyone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts