Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Music devices

4K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  One-Eyed Jack 
#1 ·
What are some options for carrying music on your Roadmaster? Don't want to use my phone. I'm very out dated tech-wise. Last device I hooked up for a long trip was an iPod Nano. Any ideas are appreciated. Headed to Sturgis soon!

#3 · (Edited)
USB thumb drive
iPod - I use this a lot
Bluetooth my iPhone
SiriusXM - through FM tuner (I find the audio quality poor), have used it through DaveT Pilots cable connected into the NAV function with intermittent success (sounds good when it works but can’t get it to work now), and lately through Garmin Zumo 595 auxiliary input- but not reliable, worked one trip and nothing since.

#4 ·
Interestingly I too have no idea of modern tech and find smart phones too complicated too, blue tooth is a pain and I don't want to leave a phone plugged in the cubby hole as I would no doubt forget it when I left the bike.

Whilst clearing the garage recently I found an old MP3 player that has not been in use for over 10 years, I put a new battery in it and much to my surprise it still worked. I then wondered if it would work on the bike but did not expect it to as it is old tech, I plugged it into the USB connection and turned the bike on, much to my surprise the infotainment unit downloaded all the content and commenced to play it, even giving the song details on the screen.

In short an old MP3 player is small, will fit in the cubby hole and will store thousands of tunes and works no bother on the infotainment unit, no doubt they can still be found cheaply and I can leave it on the bike as its worth nothing.

#5 ·
I thought it was just me! Thats why I chose a Springfield, no Ride Command to not know how to use!
If I did have some kind of radio on a bike it would have to work via an ipod as I dont have (or want) a smart phone.
Didnt know ipods were being phased out I suppose with these new phones they do everything.
I have never bluetoothed anything in my life.... and I am quite proud of it!

#6 ·
Well maybe I can try and find a cheap MP3 player. Sometimes on the long rides you can't get anything on the scan function except the same 3 stations that no one wants to listen to lol. Congrats on your bluetoothing! I need to look and see if I can figure out why the most powerful radio station in my area won't work when I get more than 7 miles from the city. It scratches and fades out. But all the other stations come in clear.

#7 ·
I tried an Ipod Nano and ended up disconnecting it. My bike is a 15 RM and found out you can either play music in order by artist or in order by song. Anything I did to try to get the shuffle to work would not do it. Same with a thumb drive. Either by artist or by song in order. Don't know which year RM you have but you may have better luck with the Ride Command. A thumb drive works pretty well but last I saw you still had limited media that the system would recognize. Basically needed to do a MP4 to MP3 converter to get music playing. Once again there might be better luck on the Ride Command. On my bike the bluetooth with my phone with my music works the best. Besides if you have an Iphone and can use an Ipod it takes little effort to move your music to your phone. Dean

#9 ·
I know you don't want to use a phone but it's pretty simple and I'm no techy. I use the spotify app which allows me to make playlists and you can download the songs which eliminates spotty service. You can add or delete songs right from the phone. My phone is blue toothed to my bike. Everytime I use my bike the phone automatically pairs with it. I run a handlebar mount and this allows access to the phone and other apps like Google maps. This is the setup that works really well for me. Good luck with your search and have fun in Sturgis.

Phil

#16 ·
I know you don't want to use a phone but it's pretty simple and I'm no techy. I use the spotify app which allows me to make playlists and you can download the songs which eliminates spotty service. You can add or delete songs right from the phone. My phone is blue toothed to my bike. Everytime I use my bike the phone automatically pairs with it. I run a handlebar mount and this allows access to the phone and other apps like Google maps. This is the setup that works really well for me. Good luck with your search and have fun in Sturgis.

Phil
I use the same set up, that way I get music and google maps. Nothing better then keeping your eyes out for cages and then being told to turn left here.
Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge Tachometer

Reactions: Solo12
#12 ·
On my 2014 Chieftain, I use an iPOD nano hooked to the USB port. Sound quality is way better than the FM or bluetooth. Created Playlists in iTunes. The handlebar controls integrate directly with iOS providing access to playlists, artists, songs, recently added. Looks like the newer handlebar controls may have dropped the access to Playlists.

#13 ·
I find that when the thumb drive is plugged in it will read all the songs and then play them all. I set it to random and it jumps around. If I select an album it will play it but then stop and not continue and I have to start selecting the music.

#14 ·
Thumb drive. I loaded all my old CD's on my laptop, transferred that to three different thumb drives (in our three vehicles) so my music goes with me and I don't have to unplug and re plug in another vehicle. When I get new music via CD, Amazon or other, I transfer it to my laptop and update all three zip drives. Doesn't tie up my phone either.

I have experimented with using my Sirius phone app through the system (Bluetooth audio) which works but the volume is lower than through the radio or my zip drive. I've tried working with it but it still comes in at a lower volume. It works so that would be my last choice if I'm tired of my tunes or the radio selection.

#17 ·
I use a cheap $30 XM Onyx with the Power Connect (which is a built in FM modulator). Plug it into the 12v connection in the saddlebag and have the small XM antenna on the back fender. Works great. Rode all the way from Bridgeport CT to Rutland VT without having to change the FM station once. See how it does this weekend riding up to Bar Harbor ME.

#18 ·
Actually a good phone IS the best option - and it will stay charged when properly hooked up. I've had mine plugged in inside a saddlebag and connected via Bluetooth. Mounted to the handlebars you can use it for directions if you lack a GPS.

Reactions: clerkjane
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.