Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw several topics about helmets, but still can't find a helmet that doesn't make me look like an Alien.
I'm about 175 , 5- 10" average build and after buying 3 helmets I still look like a giant lollipop. I know this sounds ridiculous, but my head is a normal size yet when I measure it the size charts say I'm an Extra Large. No way ! The 3 Helmets I have are 2 mediums and 1 is large and they fit great. I can't even begin to think what I'd look like if I ordered a Extra Large Helmet. Am I measuring wrong ? I don't think so. I have a bobber and def want an open faced retro style type of Helmet. No full face and has to be low profile. I love the look of the Hedon Helmets and WOULD pay the price if I knew it would look good, but the size chart says XL and I know I'm not. Wish I could try it on before, but not an option. Just a little bummed that when I see my reflection at a light from a building I look like Kazoo from the Flintstones ( showing my age with this one ). Thanks in advance for helping.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My advice is to just not worry about what you look like. No one else cares, so why do you? Most people wearing helmets look the same way, and no one judges them for it. If you're going to wear one, base the choice on function and fit, not what you think you'll look like to someone else. That's how we get people running around in things that look like German infantry helmets. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My advice is to just not worry about what you look like. No one else cares, so why do you? Most people wearing helmets look the same way, and no one judges them for it. If you're going to wear one, base the choice on function and fit, not what you think you'll look like to someone else. That's how we get people running around in things that look like German infantry helmets. ;)
I could care less what people think, but I do care what I look like personally. When I go out for a ride I wanna look good and I wanna feel good. I also care about my safety and my motorcycle, so why not look good riding it and feeling good about the way you look. You don't have to sacrifice function and/or fit with style right ? We all go out riding with jackets, gloves, boots, etc...... There's a reason they make 100's if not 1000's of different styles. Thanks for the advice, but I'm looking for maybe someone who has or had the same issue and found something that worked for them.

·
German rider
737 Posts
I sometimes ride with a sky diver sporting helmet, which looks like the 'small or tight' ones that Mr. Steve Mcqueen used.

Take a search for Genseler Bogo III.
Its able to adjust the thickness of the inner liner, so I bought small one with smaller silhuette that fits my M or L head.

Btw. I 'survived' a hard landing due a ramming from behind.
The scratch is like a killmark, still ride with it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What really matters is outer shell size. If medium, large, and XL all share the same shell (they just vary the interior EPS size) then M will look identical to XL. Similar, in reverse if the extra large has its own shell size not shared with any other sizes, it can be much smaller. Different brands have different correlations and interior thickness, so you can’t generalize across models.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sometimes ride with a sky diver sporting helmet, which looks like the 'small or tight' ones that Mr. Steve Mcqueen used.
View attachment 637964

View attachment 637965

Its able to adjust the thickness of the inner liner, so I bought small one with smaller silhuette that fits my M or L head.

Welcome to earth.
lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 637964

View attachment 637965

I hope I never get rammed from behind . 🤣 Glad your ok though !

·
Silver member
5,103 Posts
As suggested. 3/4 helmet. No more mushroom head and better protection. Especially for your ears. I regret my 1/2 helmet years. I am 1/2 deaf due to the wind noise from those helmets, :).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
88 Posts
As suggested. 3/4 helmet. No more mushroom head and better protection. Especially for your ears. I regret my 1/2 helmet years. I am 1/2 deaf due to the wind noise from those helmets, :).
Definite issue. I like Alpine MotoSafe Pro Reusable Ear Plugs.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Micro DOT is fantastic

Reactions: amalfi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts