Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Chieftain Dark Horse

Having a difficult issue it seems: Started couple weeks back on a country road going 65 at cruise control the engine just stalled, the digital gauge started jumping around from 181 miles remaining to 0 to 30 to 131 to to and so forth. Every time it displayed 0 fuel it cut the engine. Electric stayed on all the way. Happened several times now, mostly when cruising around 50 - 85 MPH, gear doesn't matter, mode doesn't matter tried all Touring/Standard/Sport, fuel type or provider doesn't matter I've tried mid grade and premium 89, 91 then back to 93 octane, and tried other fixes:

1. replaced both the possible faulty breakers with actual 10 AMP and a 15 AMP fuse respectively
no change

2. replace battery with a new stronger higher quality 500 CCA
no change

3. updated all software and VCM directly through Indian RC control center
no change

Called the dealership they said to bring it in they see if they can replicate the issue. Doh, means they are putting different people on it to ride the heck out of it within a few weeks and nothing might happen because the problem occurs sporadically. Means I'll be losing riding time and the dealer has no idea what to do or where to look at. Seems to me it needs a fuel/efi/digital gauges expert if there is such a person. I've had 4 rides over 250 miles each w/o issues before today again it started cutting out showing 0 fuel with the digital remaining miles number jumping around every few seconds. Then again I was able to ride home w/o issue 15 miles.

This inability to be relied upon starts to be quite frustrating now. Any help and/or useful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
1,190 Posts

Having a difficult issue it seems: Started couple weeks back on a country road going 65 at cruise control the engine just stalled, the digital gauge started jumping around from 181 miles remaining to 0 to 30 to 131 to to and so forth. Every time it displayed 0 fuel it cut the engine. Electric stayed on all the way. Happened several times now, mostly when cruising around 50 - 85 MPH, gear doesn't matter, mode doesn't matter tried all Touring/Standard/Sport, fuel type or provider doesn't matter I've tried mid grade and premium 89, 91 then back to 93 octane, and tried other fixes:

1. replaced both the possible faulty breakers with actual 10 AMP and a 15 AMP fuse respectively
no change

no change

no change

Called the dealership they said to bring it in they see if they can replicate the issue. Doh, means they are putting different people on it to ride the heck out of it within a few weeks and nothing might happen because the problem occurs sporadically. Means I'll be losing riding time and the dealer has no idea what to do or where to look at. Seems to me it needs a fuel/efi/digital gauges expert if there is such a person. I've had 4 rides over 250 miles each w/o issues before today again it started cutting out showing 0 fuel with the digital remaining miles number jumping around every few seconds. Then again I was able to ride home w/o issue 15 miles.

This inability to be relied upon starts to be quite frustrating now. Any help and/or useful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
When the engine stalls are there any codes? You said you did an update through Ride Command? You didn’t have the dealer re-flash the bike? Are you using a PV3? (You can see stored codes with a PV3).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’d guess at a faulty sender unit in the tank. If it’s a faulty unit / intermittent connection it would explain the jumping around of the “miles remaining “ value. If it’s telling the ECU there’s 0 fuel, maybe its programmed to cut the fuel pump as a safety feature? (Again, just a guess….)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the engine stalls are there any codes? You said you did an update through Ride Command? You didn’t have the dealer re-flash the bike? Are you using a PV3? (You can see stored codes with a PV3).
No I don't have a PV3 they are around $500 from what I see. Also at the time it cuts out I can't call or look at the diagnostics page as its on the road, later when pulled over there is no code and the bike runs or starts again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d guess at a faulty sender unit in the tank. If it’s a faulty unit / intermittent connection it would explain the jumping around of the “miles remaining “ value. If it’s telling the ECU there’s 0 fuel, maybe its programmed to cut the fuel pump as a safety feature? (Again, just a guess….)
that could be. however the dealership said they can only replace a part based on errors like a diagnostic code or something they can determine it's faulty. unfortunately the bike "mostly runs" without issues and there are no error codes on the diagnostic screen.
is there a way to store errors that fix themselves for later review?

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,898 Posts
I think if it were me, I would try reseating a few connectors. The first being under the console, the connectors going to the pump / fuel sending unit. The second being the 3 ECU connectors.

·
Rider
1,898 Posts
Thanks. Can do the ECU as I can see them but not sure where to look for that fuel unit.
Your console is the cover over your gas tank. There is a screw at the bottom of it and at the top of it. If you remove the screw from the bottom you can lift it slightly and push it forward and then lift it off the screw that is at the front of the tank. there are a few electrical connections under your console.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is under the console of my ‘14 Vintage… View attachment 716687
The connector with the blue button is the fuel line and the thick black thing is the fuel vent.
Your console is the cover over your gas tank. There is a screw at the bottom of it and at the top of it. If you remove the screw from the bottom you can lift it slightly and push it forward and then lift it off the screw that is at the front of the tank. there are a few electrical connections under your console.
Thanks guys I'll try to reseat those connections this weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright done, reseated that fuel pump connector, looked fine and sealed tho. Also blew out and re-plugged the 3 larger VCM connections. Would be nice if that's the fix. Next step would be handing it over to the dealership. It has a few months warranty left, I just try to avoid that, haven't had much luck with them, was a rather bad experience.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Rider
1,898 Posts
What's up with the yellow sticker on the vent cap that appears to read "water tests"?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

no change

no change

no change

There's a recall on Scout and chief fuel pumps right now. This may require one as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts