Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm moving to the Phoenix are. Suburbs most likely. anyone out there have any advice. Coming from Chicago Illinois

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I'm from SoCal. Lived in the Phoenix area since 1986.. Half my life..
It's interesting how this place is laid out.
Central ave. (Phoenix) Runs north and south. Everyplace west of central is the west side, everywhere east of central is east side.

A lot is going to depend, if your working .. Do you want the sun in your eye's coming and going to work.

Every little city around Phoenix and Phoenix has good parts and not so good parts.

I can tell you that you don't have to ride far, no matter where you live to be in the country.. 2 lane heaven..
Desert have you.. :cool:
Or just a few miles and your in the mountains (high country). Lots of places to ride and explore the old west..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have fun and keep us up to date. Are you going to hire a company to haul the bike down? If so, who and how did it work out. Let us know when your all done and what you think. I am contemplating the same move so I am very curious. Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Its all suburbs. Check out the outlying cities like Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, etc. I hope you can stand the heat. Lots of over 110 degrees in the hotter months. True, its a Dry heat, but it was too hot for me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Lived there for about 2 years. It was kind of terrible in the summer. I guess that it won't be much different from winter in Chicago though. Everyone runs from A/C unit to A/C unit just like they run from heater to heater in Chi. Don't listen to anyone that says that it is "year-round" riding insinuating that it is enjoyable in the summer. It is not. I did it one summer and it was not fun at all.

There is a lot of sprawl because they didn't have to go up, they could go out. I lived in N PHX and also down in Chandler. There were pockets of cool downtown, but it all depends on who you are and what you want to do. The wife/gf will love the shopping. That is all that people seem to do there.

- "What are you doing this weekend?"
- "Shopping."
- "No after that?"
- "What do you mean?"

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Out here you can run straight pipes if you want. No emissions so you can tune the air cooled bike to run like its supposed to. ( cooler). Throw the cat away... 10 more hp and torque.
No helmet law.. unless you under 18.

I rode every day for 5 years to work. 70 miles round trip.. Mornings are fine.. Afternoon over 109, id say it's like ah....Well I don't know what you'd call it.. Heat from the sky, the asphalt, and the bike.
After 30 mins and your home from work.. Lets say your not ready to go right back out.

The sun goes down it can still be 100 or close to it.

Summertime ya take trips, leave in the morning, and get out of the valley.. It's cooler everywhere else.. (Concrete city holds the heat)

Still hot, but cooler. Unless you go to Payson, flag or Sedona. then your talking 80s 90s.. Or cooler.

Lots of places to go.. Even local.
Like the Hidaway in Cave Creek..

·
Registered
504 Posts
DirtyDan, man get on out there & enjoy yourself as long as you can. Ride as often & as long as you can. I envy you going out there. I was out there way back, poured concrete at night because of the day time heat. Let us know where you end up & how you're getting along. Take care & have a safe trip out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
East valley cities like Gilbert and Chandler are the best I think. You'll definitely find the best service at Indian Motorcycle of Chandler. Talk to Justin.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Here In the Phoenix Area we have many options for rides. You can go any direction and end up on a 2 lane to areas with history.
When I'm bored and not up to a long ride Ill go to Hayden AZ. (its south of Kearney on the map, Hayden not listed) Its a small mining town with lots of history and land marks. A Living legend, At least in my mind:). Highway 177 is a quiet 2 lane.

When I get to Hayden I look for the Ice Cream Truck and buy a snow cone to cool off a little with the neighborhood kids, before I head back.

Link to more info and pics on road
Arizona @ AARoads - Arizona 177

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
So i'm moving to the Phoenix are. Suburbs most likely. anyone out there have any advice. Coming from Chicago Illinois
What I know about Arizona would fit on the head of a pin with enough room left over for a Pentecostal Roller Skating Rink.
I was there exactly one time.
I had to change planes at the Phoenix airport years ago.
I flew in on a little regional puddle jumper so I had to walk down a roll around ladder and then across the tarmac to the terminal.
By the time I got into the terminal my batteries were on reserve.

I remember standing in the open door of the plane thinking that it was like standing in front of a blast furnace. I could see the terminal but the waves of heat coming up off the tarmac made it look all distorted, it was moving like a bowl of jello. Shimmering in the heat like a mirage in the desert.

Are you a "hat guy"?
I bet that if you are not a hat guy that you will quickly become one.
A nice wide brim straw, please.
Being as I'm a Texan, I had mine and the brim of that hat was the only shade for miles around and it wasn't enough.

My next impression was that I wouldn't walk down the driveway to the mailbox without packing a canteen of water.

The short walk from the airplane to the terminal made a profound impression on me. One that I never forgot. The heat of the pavement burned up through the soles of my boots. This is what hell must be like.

Now, this comes from a Southerner and at the time I considered myself "acclimated to the heat". I was used to a heavy humid heat like we have along the Gulf Coast....not this searing dry heat that stung the nostrils when you tried to breath.

Other than that, you will probably have a swell time.

·
Founding member
951 Posts
Been to Phoenix several times [twice in summer my sister lives there] The dry heat didn't bother me like sweaty Florida in July. Went for a 20 mile bicycle ride in 116 degree weather. Prefer the summer months because all the snowbirds fly away and hotels are dirt cheap. Went for a demo ride at Scottsdale Indian last February. Winter months too many people to make motorcycling enjoyable for me. But living in Chicago your used to lots of people.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
What I know about Arizona would fit on the head of a pin with enough room left over for a Pentecostal Roller Skating Rink.
I was there exactly one time.
I had to change planes at the Phoenix airport years ago.
I flew in on a little regional puddle jumper so I had to walk down a roll around ladder and then across the tarmac to the terminal.
By the time I got into the terminal my batteries were on reserve.

I remember standing in the open door of the plane thinking that it was like standing in front of a blast furnace. I could see the terminal but the waves of heat coming up off the tarmac made it look all distorted, it was moving like a bowl of jello. Shimmering in the heat like a mirage in the desert.

Are you a "hat guy"?
I bet that if you are not a hat guy that you will quickly become one.
A nice wide brim straw, please.
Being as I'm a Texan, I had mine and the brim of that hat was the only shade for miles around and it wasn't enough.

My next impression was that I wouldn't walk down the driveway to the mailbox without packing a canteen of water.

The short walk from the airplane to the terminal made a profound impression on me. One that I never forgot. The heat of the pavement burned up through the soles of my boots. This is what hell must be like.

Now, this comes from a Southerner and at the time I considered myself "acclimated to the heat". I was used to a heavy humid heat like we have along the Gulf Coast....not this searing dry heat that stung the nostrils when you tried to breath.

Other than that, you will probably have a swell time.

Yea Big Daddy, Your right about the Heat... I worked 150 feet from the sky harbor runway for 25 years. Its a blast furnace on a bike too.
I don't know at what temp you no longer have the chill factor thing, but when its hot, it doesn't get cooler when you ride.

If you cant take the heat and you don't like to ride when its cool, Id say you got about 6 weeks a year of perfect temps.

Most here would disagree with me.. and say you can ride year round. But a lot folks come here from the snow areas.. and they say they would rather shovel sunshine then snow. (yet you don't see em riding in to work everyday)

If you want to really enjoy year round riding here (in my opinion) , you gotta leave early in the morning and get out of the valley...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've lived in southern AZ (mostly Tucson, lived in PHX for a couple years in early '90's) for 17 years total, and commute to work daily about 30 miles total. I commute daily from about March - November. Temps June to mid August can often exceed 105, and longer commutes/rides wouldn't be too bearable during that period, but my commute is pretty short, so it really doesn't bother me.

I typically don't ride much December-February because it's too cold for me with morning temps in the 30's and 40's; however, there are stretches even during the winter that are quite pleasant and I ride occasionally in the winter. There are numerous day trips all over southern AZ, and I usually get out for 100-200 mile rides on probably a third of the weekends/year.

While I wouldn't say you can ride year-round in AZ, I would say AZ is a great place to be a biker...you can ride quite comfortably in AZ more often than not.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts