Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been successful with this? The Denali fork tube brackets are definitely too lightweight for this and I'm returning them. I'm thinking of taking a ride to Twisted Throttle and/or Cycle Gear to see what they might have on the wall. Also thinking Memphis Shades Turn Signal Relocation Kit For Indian Scout 2015-2019 - RevZilla might do the trick. Possibly even rubber covered strap deals, but that's too low brow for my pet.

Help.

·
Registered
600 Posts
D4s, Wow, you're really planning on lighting up the way. I can see where they might be nice on some really long stretches of road, but the D2s are throwing plenty of light for my roads. What are you going to be using them for?
Probably need highway bars to mount them on for the clearance.

·
Rider
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D2 packs 2190 raw lumins per pair. D4 packs 8760! (Data Dim cuts this by half when on low beam). Do you really think its overkill? I want most light because the other night, I was crawling along on the highway because I felt very uncomfortable pushing it past 55 or so in case of critters. I figure the more the merrier. I have never been impressed with EOM headlight on Scout.

But I'm having a hard time finding mounting hardware that works. The Denali brackets are too weak, and I don't want the D4 on the highway bars because it will be too low. I want them snugged up alongside the main headlight.

About to order PIAA 360° Universal Bracket Kit | 15% ($7.27) Off! - RevZilla which looks like it will do the trick (others say so...) Still need to relocate turn signals. But maybe I need to rethink the D4 choice... :-(

·
Registered
600 Posts
I work nights and ride either to or from work in the dark on a narrow, curvy and hilly country road with lots of deer. The stock headlight was just dangerous. Upgrading to an LED made it safer, but still not great. With the D2s I feel comfortable at night. One or two others here have the D2s and like them.

The D4s are a beast both in size and output. I’m not sure how you would mount them on the forks. Maybe add a small fairing and mount to that?

·
Rider
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. I already have the D4's (not installed yet, so still returnable). Now I'm totally up in the air... thanks a bunch!

Videos I saw of the D4 were what sold me initially... very impressive. I think the PIAA fork mount I mentioned will handle it (others have confirmed this on Revzilla Q&A). (The Denali fork mount is not strong enough for the D4, IMHO).

Looking more at the D2 now, I also see the DR1 has similar light output, but further reach. So the DR1 must be designed like more of a spot light or tight-beam deal... and bigger then D2.

So the D2 might be a better fit, but less light. Is it enough? I like the idea of having more and not needing it, then having less and still wanting. What to do?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I work nights and ride either to or from work in the dark on a narrow, curvy and hilly country road with lots of deer. The stock headlight was just dangerous. Upgrading to an LED made it safer, but still not great. With the D2s I feel comfortable at night. One or two others here have the D2s and like them.

The D4s are a beast both in size and output. I’m not sure how you would mount them on the forks. Maybe add a small fairing and mount to that?
can you share pics/ info on how to mount the D2s? I'm on a Bobber too

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry MattBoy. You know these threads are designed to make you spend more money than what you've already spent. ;)
Figure out how to get them on there and see. I'm sure you'll love the D4s.

So first thing, replace the stock yellow Eddison bulb with a modern LED. That's got to be the first step to seeing. Then driving lights.
I went with the D2s, mostly because they are small and barely noticeable but throw a lot of light. At first I was going to use one as a spot and one as a flood, but the beam was just too concentrated on the spot so both are floods. I can drive without the headlight at night if I needed too. Not 75mph, but I could still get home at 50mph on my country road if the headlight went out.

I have the D2s mounted on my Sixty. I still haven't decided on the Bobber. I ride the Sixty at night, so I'm planning on putting the Denali DRL on the Bobber with the fender bolt mount.

Here are a few threads on these ideas:
https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/denali-d2-driving-lights.220980/
https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/fog-lights-my-2018-indian-scout.229380/#post-2600638

·
Rider
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kodiakisland. Yes, its always more, never less! I'm thinking to stay with the D4 if I can get them on securely. Because more is betterer! :)

·
Rider
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, So I have been struggling with mounting the D4 too long. Different brackets, side-mounts, etc., nothing I try is not secure enough. So I'm returning the D4 and just booked the D2 kit with two different mounting options (I'll keep whichever one fits best).

Thanks for the feedback and I truly hope the D2s work out. I'll have to play with spot/flood lenses, but I have higher hopes for these as they are much smaller and lighter (not as much raw lumins, but as they say: "Can't have everything... where would you put it?"). Thanks again, especially to @kodiakisland.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I didn’t get the kit and just ordered the individual lights to wire into the park light. I don’t think they need a dim option. The D4s certainly would, but the D2s on bright aren’t an issue at night.

I really hope you’re happy with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I followed @kodiakisland advice and directions. Simple install especially for a guy that is not a competent wrencher. My D2 are primarily for more visibility to cagers. It works well. Enjoy.

·
Rider
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I tried the Denali D4 light kit and they were just too big for the Scout. No mounting hardware would handle them. So I switched to the D2 kit with DataDim relay and am much happier. It fits and looks better. Had to use the Memphis Shades turn signal lowering kit and the Denali fork tube mounting arms, but it all looks and works great now. Still playing with alignment, but much better light on the road now for nighttime riding (saw a deer sneaking off the road last night...)

And a special shout out to all the folks at RevZilla for their help in ordering and returning things with a no-problem-attitude!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts