Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Raise your leg and step through the rider’s seat, keeping the other leg on the ground, once you are over the seat, then you can slide the rest of the way. If you have a Grasshopper backrest, you can pull it out of the slot, and then slide it back into the bracket once you are on. Nice feature for the vertically challenged.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ain’t easy being short! I found the lowering shock gave me some clearance. You can also get lowering links that are helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
3,862 Posts
A pair of your ol' ladies stilettos would prolly add some height to ya. Should make mount and dismount easy peezy :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I gave up. Wasn't worth the hassle. The only way I could get on was from the right side, stepping on the peg-- really awkward. Without it I can move around more on the seat and prolong my comfort.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I love my backrest... sometimes when the joints are acting up, not so fun throwing the leg over it though. The original Indian backrests do fold down nicely, and that is often what I do. The left foot on floorboard is another easy solution.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another solution some people use is to place your right knee in the middle of the saddle and swing that foot over the back rest and down to the floor board. The back rest is, for me, worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Another solution some people use is to place your right knee in the middle of the saddle and swing that foot over the back rest and down to the floor board. The back rest is, for me, worth the extra effort.
I'm having trouble envisioning what you mean. Since I would use my backrest if I could get on and off, I would really like to understand how to use your technique.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm having trouble envisioning what you mean. Since I would use my backrest if I could get on and off, I would really like to understand how to use your technique.
As you prepare to mount the bike from the low side(Left) place your right knee in the center of the driver's seat and rotate you leg up, over the back rest and down to the floor board on the right side. (almost like you were going to kneel the seat)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm going to go out to my shop and try this right now. I envision laying my torso forward on the tank to get my ankle over -- if I understand correctly. ... HEY! it works!! I feel like a dolt, not figuring this out for myself, but the mystery is solved. Thanks!!

Reactions: Flat Tire Fred

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raise your leg and step through the rider’s seat, keeping the other leg on the ground, once you are over the seat, then you can slide the rest of the way. If you have a Grasshopper backrest, you can pull it out of the slot, and then slide it back into the bracket once you are on. Nice feature for the vertically challenged.
This worked for me. It may just be a matter of getting used to it. I have the Indian backrest and another poster reminded me it folds down. Will try that too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tip. Question about the backrest. Do you have the pad adjusted to the lower back or higher up.....I guess I am assuming you have a version that adjusts for height. I have it lower right now and it feels like it forces my posture to put pressure on my tail bone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Question about the backrest. Do you have the pad adjusted to the lower back or higher up.....I guess I am assuming you have a version that adjusts for height. I have it lower right now and it feels like it forces my posture to put pressure on my tail bone.
I have the Grasshopper set at the lowest position and it works great for me. I do believe I did some bending on the upright adjustable bracket when I first installed it. Glad the tip helped.

·
Rider
737 Posts
I have had the OEM rider back-rest for 2 years now and I reckon it's great. I couldn't imagine the bike without it.

In the first 3 or 4 months I experimented with the height of the it, adjusting it gradually up and down, until I found the position that suits me best.

I suggest you need to find out yourself which position works for you, because we all have different needs as far as supporting our back is concerned. For some, it needs to be a bit higher, for others, the lower back needs help. Depends.

After my experimentation, I found if I push the rest down to the base and lift it up just one click, it is perfect - but that's just me.

It's really easy to do - just change it every ride for awhile and you will soon find out which spot is most comfortable.

Hope that helps - good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts