Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured it out. If you've been following this thread, Electrical And Fairing Help Needed Indian Motorcycle Forum, here's the end result.

My Garmin Zumo 660 was purchased for my HD and had a decent HD mount that would not cross over to my Chieftain. I emailed Garmin to ask for help and to offer my help in setting up a kit for the bike. I received a pretty weak response, suggesting a mounting kit. I could tell by looking at the picture that this kit would not work for what I had in mind. So, with a little imagination, I ordered a bunch of mounting parts, hoping that I could put together what I needed.
I used

Amazon.com: RAM Motorcycle Mount for Garmin Zumo 660 550 500 450 400 GPS: GPS & Navigation
I didn't think that the adjustable "link" would be long enough, so I added
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Double Socket Swivel Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: Automotive
The longer center piece worked perfectly.

image.jpg

The instrument panel pops right out. Pull gently on the edges and release the plug on the bottom of the cluster
image.jpg

I tapped into the 12vdc accessory outlet. The brace that you see is part of the windshield support and it does move, so ensure that your wires clear it.
image.jpg

There is clearance over the power button and it is easy to reach with gloves on
image.jpg

Here's my view from the seat
image.jpg

New Info! 8/4/2015
I have since changed my 660 to the 665 in order to have XM radio.
I also moved the power to the 12vdc switched plug in the fairing on the right side.
My latest and last change was to add DaveTPilot's Zumo adapter cable (it plugs in behind the fairing on the left side) in order to send XM to the bike's audio system.
So now, I can listen to XM through the bike's speakers or BT my Sena to the bike only. When it's on, I hear XM, FM, WX all through the Sena helmet set.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dan "The Man" Frisbie. Great write up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, how did you get into the fairing? I want to replace the power port. Can't see any screws for the face plate, but hate to start prying on things unless i know for a fact they "pop" out. Any help would be appreciated!

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, how did you get into the fairing? I want to replace the power port. Can't see any screws for the face plate, but hate to start prying on things unless i know for a fact they "pop" out. Any help would be appreciated!
The gauge panel just pops out. Feel along the bottom for the big electrical connector and just gently pry around the edges with your fingers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does your AUX switch turn off when the motorcycle turns off? Mine in my Indian does not turn off ever. So I did not use that port for that very reason and installed a second bus. Also there have been a few issues using the garmin with bluetooth. If I play music through the garmin, as soon as there is an announcement of a turn directions, music never plays again. The garmin still sends the bluetooth signal, however, the indian radio never again switches to the music again. Only the directions will ever be spoken again. You having a problem like this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I installed this
  • Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module
to separate the channels so I did not leave it active on the bike when the bike was off. This bus is very awesome. My AUX plug never turns off even with the bike off.

Also if you guys don't know about these connectors, they are only take a second to connect a bus to. [h=1]Posi-tap Connector, 20-22 Gauge Wire[/h]
Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connector, 20-22 Gauge Wire, Pack of 5: Automotive

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your AUX switch turn off when the motorcycle turns off? Mine in my Indian does not turn off ever. So I did not use that port for that very reason and installed a second bus. Also there have been a few issues using the garmin with bluetooth. If I play music through the garmin, as soon as there is an announcement of a turn directions, music never plays again. The garmin still sends the bluetooth signal, however, the indian radio never again switches to the music again. Only the directions will ever be spoken again. You having a problem like this?
The aux port on the dash is hot all the time. I use it for my battery tender, too. Since I only use the Garmin occasionally, it's not mounted all the time.
I use my Garmin for visual navigation only, the audio out is not connected, no music through it, no bluetooth. I don't use bluetooth on the bike sound system, either.
Not much help with your issues, sorry about that...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I mounted the PDM60 right under the seat. its tiny so I mounted it right nextto the top of the battery on the right where the big space is with Velcro. Thenthe wires are the right length to go straight to battery. As for tapping, Iused Positap that came with the kit. I already had run one wire from the autostore under the gas tank up inside the front faring. On the Chieftain if you goto the front where it looks like a train, there are only a few screws holdingthe plastic front piece on, and if you take those off the front you have accessdirectly to the wiring. The Positap needs to plug into a trigger; all thatmeans is that anything that comes on with the bike. For some strange reason, hecigarette lighter stays on all the time, which really to me does not makesense. So the Aux Lights on the Chieftain made since because I can push thebutton and turn off the aux lights and it will turn off all Accessories aswell. Because on one of the lines I also installed Fog Lights on the separatewire, along with the Garmin. I have been happy, because I usually leave the Auxlights on all the time so I hope a driver can see me.

So if you usethe AUX lights, they only come on if the engine is started, and the preprogrammed7 seconds later the lights and the Garmin power on.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
I figured it out. If you've been following this thread, http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/forum/19-indian-chieftain/1051-electrical-fairing-help-needed.html, here's the end result.

My Garmin Zumo 660 was purchased for my HD and had a decent HD mount that would not cross over to my Chieftain. I emailed Garmin to ask for help and to offer my help in setting up a kit for the bike. I received a pretty weak response, suggesting a mounting kit. I could tell by looking at the picture that this kit would not work for what I had in mind. So, with a little imagination, I ordered a bunch of mounting parts, hoping that I could put together what I needed.
I used

Amazon.com: RAM Motorcycle Mount for Garmin Zumo 660 550 500 450 400 GPS: GPS & Navigation
I didn't think that the adjustable "link" would be long enough, so I added
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Double Socket Swivel Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: Automotive
The longer center piece worked perfectly.

View attachment 1439

The instrument panel pops right out. Pull gently on the edges and release the plug on the bottom of the cluster
View attachment 1440

I tapped into the 12vdc accessory outlet. The brace that you see is part of the windshield support and it does move, so ensure that your wires clear it.
View attachment 1441

There is clearance over the power button and it is easy to reach with gloves on
View attachment 1442

Here's my view from the seat
View attachment 1443
Wow, be very careful here. The way you have that mounted if the ram mount looses up at all you can easily get it stuck between the handle bars and the gas tank. Not good if you are going down the road! Dean E

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I took a completely different route, the short coming of my choice is you have to be able to follow verbal directions because you are unable to access the map.
I have an iPhone with MotionX Drive app. It is a navigation app that has voice prompts and a map display. I connect it to the USB port in the right side fairing compartment, switch the radio input to USB. Turn on the MotionX app and Pandora. I now can navigate to my preset playlists with the handlebar mounted radio controls, when MotionX has directions to relay to me my iPhone automatically cuts the music, voices the the directions and then turns the music back on again. I used this same set up on my old Indian (2003 Chief Vintage) blue toothed into an intercom setup on my helmet. I rode from Washington DC to Key West, from DC to Branson, MO, and countless shorter trips without any equipment related issues.

Just don't care for the GPS device cluttering up my beautiful Chieftain....

·
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update;
There a few threads on GPS, Bluetooth, XM, etc and I staarted a few of them and contributed to others.
I think that I have figured out my dilemmas and maybe this will save others some of my frustration.
1. The bluetooth connectivity of the Indian radio/electronics package is not that great. Both the radio and iPod cut out for a fraction of a second every minute or so. This is as aggravating as Hell when when listening to music. With the phone, this doesn't seem to be such a big deal.
2. As a poster here informed me, bluetooth means one source and one destination at a time. The radio will not sync to two different headsets.
3. The Sena SMH10 headsets sound decent for conversation and music. It's not living room Bose quality, but I'm not in my living room listening to Bose speakers. Another bonus of the SMH10 is that it can pair to many devices, although only one can be selected at a time.

I upgraded my GPS to a Garmin 665 over the 660 because the 665 has XM satellite radio.
Soooo
1. Driver's SMH10 heaadset paired to the bike for phone use and control.
2. iPhone paired to the bike so that I can use the MFD to see who is calling.
3. Garmin paired to driver's headset for XM radio.
4. SMH10 haas "music sharing" so that passenger headset can listen to same radio/music as driver.
5. Passenger headset paired to her phone so that if she wants, she can talk without interrupting my music.

I may pair my iPod to the headset in the future, but in my other vehicles, I listen to XM 100% of the time, so right now I don't see the need.
All in all, this bluetooth learning curve has NOT been fun, but I suppose that I needed to get with it eventualy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know this thread has been around for a bit but I thought I would ask. Is there a way to tap the Zumo into the sound system and avoid the bluetooth connectivity issue with the XM portion? Is there possibly an adapter to tap into the ipod plug? Garmin has the hard wire harness available that has a head set output jack? So I'm thinking could I plug it into that ipod port?? Would that work??

·
Registered
105 Posts
GPS Cradle Harness Adapter for Indian Chieftain Roadmaster
I know this thread has been around for a bit but I thought I would ask. Is there a way to tap the Zumo into the sound system and avoid the bluetooth connectivity issue with the XM portion? Is there possibly an adapter to tap into the ipod plug? Garmin has the hard wire harness available that has a head set output jack? So I'm thinking could I plug it into that ipod port?? Would that work??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine was clearly visible on the top of the left fork in the fairing. I was able to look under and clearly see it. I didn't even have to remove anything to access it it's a little square white end connector. I did remove the headlight bezel in order to coil up the excess wire. You still have to buy the Garmin hard wire harness if it didn't come with your Garmin. Snap the Garmin into the hardwired cradle and then you plug everything together which is just primarily the one 5 pin connection and the headphone jack.... it's literally that easy. I'm assuming you got the Garmin harness from DaveTpilot?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts