Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a rush last night and accidentally mounted the windshield incorrectly and liked it better.

I usually don’t like the windshield on the Chief Vintage. It’s stands above my line of sight, glares, and causes buffeting.

But I had a two hour nighttime round trip ahead of me. Thought it might get chilly so I put it on.

in my rush, I accidentally mounted the bottom hooks on the crossbar between the turn signal lamps. It titled the windshield further back, causing the top edge to rest just below my line of sight.

It was too dark to see what I did. I figured out this morning when the sun was back. While I was riding last night, I really thought Indian must’ve provided two mounting spools so the rider could choose the angle. And I really liked this new angle better. I could see clearly over the shield and almost no buffering. Was really happy about my new discovery.

this morning, when I figured out what I did, I was a little disappointed. I don’t want to keep mounting the windshield incorrectly and risk it flying off. But I really enjoyed it more the wrong way. Guess I’ll buy a shorter windshield for cooler weather and hope it reduces the buffering the same way.

·
Bronze member
4,681 Posts
That's a happy accident. I've thought of making up some slightly different lower mounts to tilt the windshield of my Springfield but the clearance behind the side lights is very restricted. I'll check it out again after reading this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually find my windshield cuts down of the buffeting considerably, but I'm 6'4" and it falls just below my line of sight. You're probably correct that you need a shorter one. Too bad there is no way to adjust the one you have!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a happy accident
Trouble is, I’m afraid to repeat it now that I know it isn’t the intended way. I don’t want to risk it flying off. Although it did do fine last night over the Mario Cuomo Bridge, where it happened to be very gusty.

But it gives me hope that a shorter 14” shield might just do the trick for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably correct that you need a shorter one. Too bad there is no way to adjust the one you have!
I so happy because I really thought I had found a feature that let me tilt the shield to a better angle.

i wonder if different year models came with different sized shields. I read one post where somebody said his was 15”. Mine is way taller than that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't see a huge risk in it flying off if you like that mount angle better. The bottom looks hooked over the light bar pretty good, and even in the stock spot the bottoms more or less just rest on it, and the top ones have the latch to keep the windshield in place. So long as it latches and holds just as well no problems, but if you're really worried, theres screw holes on the latches to keep them from popping too. Adds another min or so mounting it maybe. So while it may never have been intended to work as such, if it works better for you like that why not make use of it and save some coin not buying another shield? Course thats just my thoughts, do what your comfortable with. haha.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So long as it latches and holds just as well no problems, but if you're really worried, theres screw holes on the latches to keep them from popping too.
I’ll have to investigate those latches more. If it looks secure enough, it may possibly work better than a shorter shield even without the money-saving benefit. I’m thinking now that the height difference isn’t the only variable affecting the buffeting. Its proximity to my head must also be affecting it. The different angle brings the top edge closer to my head. So the turbulence is probably moved back behind me. A 14” shield at the stock angle may just land the turbulence on the top of my head again. Who knows? I’ll have to ride with it and shift my head around to figure out what’s happening.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bet CookieCK is right; it's probably more secure than you think. If you need more peace of mind, you could drill a couple of holes above the rubber and use those to secure it to the light bar. Or weld a tab on there that you can use for the same purpose. It will take a little longer to install or remove it, but if it makes the windshield work well for you it's worth it. And I'd bet your right that the angle matters about as much as the height.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,946 Posts
If that works well, keep it there. You could get a rubber mount to wrap around the bar for a tighter fit....

·
Founding member
821 Posts
This post got me interested so I went to my 14 Classic with the windshield off and mounted it on the lightbar. It was pretty stable, then I latched it and though it's not hooked in as tight as the "normal" way, it did secure the windshield. I can't see how it would blow off. I'll be testing it on the road in a little bit.

·
Bronze member
4,681 Posts
I so happy because I really thought I had found a feature that let me tilt the shield to a better angle.

i wonder if different year models came with different sized shields. I read one post where somebody said his was 15”. Mine is way taller than that.
When i went looking at shield heights it was very frustrating. The sizes of Indian shields are on their website, but good luck trying to sort it out. They have short, normal, and tall heights, and I think a new shorty tinted, but the measurements are all over the place. For instance, they quote the tall as being so many inches more than stock, but the numbers don't match.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had thought of getting a Clearview shield to screw into the existing Indian frame. The Clearview site explains exactly how to take measurements. And the designer owns a Chief Vintage. So chances are he figured the physics of the recurve right. On the other hand, if attaching my existing shield the way I had it looks safe upon further examination, I may keep it that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What we need is a power adjustable mount that moves the same shield up and down.
I cut mine down about 1 1/2 inches with a blade made for plastic in my jigsaw and got a good finish. I used painter tape both sides of the shield to protect the surface. to get the shape I traced the original on to card board cut it out and placed it on the shield and followed the curve.
I am only 5 foot eight and can now see over the shield but sure do notice it is much more turbulent.
The shorter screen is great for rain or at night but it would be great to raise it again when needed.
The other whish list item would be a non reflective coating on the back so I don't get blinded by my own chrome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been considering windshield visors/extensions like MRA's X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade. (There doesn't seem to be any standard naming for these things)
I'm looking to get some higher coverage on my Chief Vintage's windscreen. The adjustability might come in handy for changing temperatures and weather on longer rides.
Anyone have experience with these on a Chief Vintage?

·
Bronze member
4,681 Posts
Here's what I did on my Scout, which had significant buffeting with the tall shield. It's an MRA blade from another bike, held in place with two wedges of plastic foam packing material and double sided tape. The black tape covers the original mounting holes to stop whistling.

I'd earlier put a vent from a Goldwing in the lower part of the shield but that did nothing to help. The blade on top did work but looked bad.

·
Senior member / gold
6,749 Posts
I had a Clearview windshield on my Dark Horse with the recurve. I also ordered the option of adding the vent in the windshield. The recurve helped dramatically, but the vent also helped greatly. The vent kept the wind turbulence from beneath from hitting my face. They are an excellent company.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve also since figured out that the windshield plays more nicely with my half (open) helmet than it does with my full-face helmet. The tall stock windshield mounted properly (and even without lower deflectors) works fine with my half-helmet. Used it that way all day today. I guess the full-face helmet is aerodynamically designed for a head wind. But the windshield creates more of an up/down and side-to-side wind. So I feel it smacking against the larger mass of the full-helmet more. I’ve gotten more used to it and it annoys me a lot less now. But I still think the the windshield pairs better with the smaller helmet. And the full helmet likes the bike ‘naked”.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts