Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Super Chief Limited (Red)
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to pose a question I feel stupid for asking. My wife and I are having a good chuckle about the topic and admit we feel a bit lame for asking but figured what the heck. We also had some fun for the title of this post as they seemed to invite naughty responses. Ha!

We mounted a flag mount from The Pro Pad site. Really like the flag pole mount overall.

The one thing though that we’ve noticed is that, when going down the road, the flag doesn’t fly to the rear. I noticed this first in the shadow I created going down the road so I had her also ride beside me on the road to confirm. The flag immediately turns towards the bike and rubs against my luggage/luggage rack instead of flapping in the breeze. I’ve gone both ways down a straightaway and each time it is the same behavior. We have flags on cars and boats and we’ve never seen this behavior. The other flags always blows with the breeze. This one just spins and pushes towards the bike and seems to do so regardless of wind direction or how fast I'm going. Maybe the luggage rack with bag is doing something with the wind flow?

I know, sounds ridiculous, but I thought I’d ask if there is some trick to making sure it flaps correctly. I’ve attached a pic just to show how/where we installed it. I’ve played around with pushing the rubber ring on the bottom up or down a little to make the flag tighter but that makes no difference. I've pinged the company but they have not responded just yet probably because they are laughing at such a lame question. (Actually, just closed for the holiday.)

Tire Car Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,716 Posts
I'd wager the other flags you fly are in free airflow the one depicted isn't! Ditch the bag or get a longer pole to raise it above the bag. Ever heard of the venturi effect? Your flag flies in a vacuum and is being sucked forwards. Alternatively get a wire coat hanger cut it and make a frame for the flag, it won't flap or fly but at least it'll remain pointing rearwards.

·
Bronze member
4,068 Posts
I fly two flags on the back of my scooter.However,they are mounted off to the side ,[one on top of the other] not to mention,a bit higher then the one shown above.Why?? So they can move freely in the wind as I'm movin down the road. (y)

·
Registered
2019 Indian Chief Vintage Icon (Black/Yellow)
295 Posts
I'd wager the other flags you fly are in free airflow the one depicted isn't! Ditch the bag or get a longer pole to raise it above the bag. Ever heard of the venturi effect? Your flag flies in a vacuum and is being sucked forwards. Alternatively get a wire coat hanger cut it and make a frame for the flag, it won't flap or fly but at least it'll remain pointing rearwards.
What he said with a just a bit more. That's why NASCAR drafting and following too close to tractor trailers (NOT RECOMMENDED or ADVISED) allows for better gas mileage. Vacuum!

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster
365 Posts
I have a 1924 Model T. Back in September I decided I would drive it to a homecoming football game, and to show extra "spirit" I would mount a school flag in the back seat with the top down. I figured it would be cool to be driving down the road with the flag waving behind me.

Inside a half mile I figured out that was a bad idea. The flag didn't blow behind me, it spun around and flapped in my face the entire time. There must have been some sort of weird air pocket thing going on while the car was moving that waved the flag backwards. Driving a Model T in traffic is difficult enough due to the non-standard controls, let alone with the distraction of a flag whipping me in the face.

I finally pulled over and took the flag down. I mounted it again once the car was sitting stationary in the parking lot, at which point it finally waved in the correct direction.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
2017 Roadmaster / 2010 KM Vintage
2,504 Posts
KThe vortex changes based on several variables. Speed and distance of the flag from the wind block are the easiest to change. The flag on my wife’s bike does this at medium speeds. She didn’t believe me until I got a photo.

·
Registered
2014 Indian Chief Classic
341 Posts
The flag is flying forward because of wind drag created by the trunk bag, doesn't matter how fast you are traveling or wind direction unless the wind is moving faster than you are riding. You just need to use a longer flag pole to get it up in the free air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts