Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a trip to China (partly business and partly fun). I own www.IndianAftermarket.com I found out that China is blocking all Google stuff. This made it impossible to get calls or emails while there. I did my best to work around. Anyway I discovered some interesting things about bikes in China. I will post some photos and later a video. About 99.9% of the bikes are small scooters. Most are electric. The others are 50 - 125 cc. This is for people that can't afford cars. But man are they creative with bikes. You can buy bigger bikes but they are very expensive so people usually buy a car instead if they have that kind of money. This explains why my Chinese wife was not that excited about my Indian at first. Now she understands how cool it is. Here are few samples.

IMG_7083.jpg
IMG_7065.jpg
IMG_7063.jpg
IMG_7081.jpg
IMG_7079.jpg
IMG_7058.jpg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spent time in Shanghai. The city is seriously beautiful. I am a out in the woods country boy but I could see living in Shanghai if I had a few million. I checked on line and found out you can buy an Indian Roadmaster for about $70,000 in Shanghai. Then tags cost about $15,000. A parking garage in a nice area can cost hundreds of thousands.

IMG_7667.jpg
IMG_7667.jpg

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Like it or not, we are living in a global economy. The Chinese HD posts are fascinating... but crazy expensive toys for the rich only. If there was a demand, then they would obviously develop their own "Indian" type product line and their consumers would not be paying 3 times the cost in import duties.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I always wondered how one becomes rich in a communist regime?

Reactions: Indian16RM

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Reactions: gasgas

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
China is a very complex place. Living there can be very good. Great cheap food and a lot of freedom. It has many down sides also. The government can be brutal if you go against them. They have far less safety measures in place. We have too many. The people tend to be friendly and happy but it is easy to find scammers also. And Indians are too expensive! Anyway, I have a little bit of China in my life at all times. My wife and dog went for a ride today in 74 degree weather in Georgia.
IMG_7904.JPG

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a neat product that was common in China. A bike lock that uses your phone to activate. These were rental bikes so they must have an app that allows them to change the code and lock up a bike that is not turned in. It can probably be located also. This seems like a good idea for motorcycle manufacturers to think about. I wish we at www.IndianAftermarket.com could make and sell a product like this but I fear there is not enough market.
IMG_7702.jpg

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
I hope to see more of Asia in the coming years... Have yet to visit China and South Korea... Been in Japan a few times and just loved it. Great food and such great culture. The only negative I found is the occasional racism (e.g. "Japanese-only" bars and restaurants).

And being a huge fan of any new technology... Asia is where it all happens!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Here is a neat product that was common in China. A bike lock that uses your phone to activate. These were rental bikes so they must have an app that allows them to change the code and lock up a bike that is not turned in. It can probably be located also. This seems like a good idea for motorcycle manufacturers to think about. I wish we at www.IndianAftermarket.com could make and sell a product like this but I fear there is not enough market. View attachment 363430
We now have four companies in Dallas doing this. But not for long. Half the fleet is in the tent cities under our overpasses...

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a bike I rented in China (not a motorcycle but very interesting) It has 4 sets of pedals. One guy in front steers and operates a hand brake. Great gas mileage.
IMG_E7754.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts