Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I have been going to the NYC Motorcycle show since the first "Great American Motorcycle Show" happened in the 1980s. That first year it was relegated to just a piece of an exterior corridor that circled Madison Square Garden. The entertainment was a movie projector showing of "On Any Sunday" in an area walled off with curtains and Doug Domokos "the Wheelie King" was doing wheelies on Honda trike ATVs. The show has grown since and been moved to the Jacob Javits Center, on the west side of Manhattan. And in the past few years it's shrunken down a bit, probably a reflection of the overall motorcycle industry.
20181201_152951 Empire State.jpg

This year was a good show. There were lots of custom bikes, including too many HD "Draggers" that had saddle bags and rear fenders that almost extended into the next zip code. They're cool enough, until you walk past what seems like a platoon of the darn things. The custom that got my vote was a shovel head.
20181201_094451 Shovel.jpg

The entire frame, coupled with a tank below the engine was the oil tank. The rear fender and another tank below the seat carried the gas. And it's got a couple thousand miles under it. I talked with the owner and he said that it's already sold to Pink. She's some sort of celebrity.

At the back of the show we were wowed by the Confederate display. They've been making truly amazing S&S powered machines for years. But the central bike was an exercise in extremes!
20181201_110150 Confederate.jpg

I have never seen any other motorcycle that visibly showed so much machining! The cam drive is visible behind clear plastic.That's gasoline visible in the tank under the seat (and in the aluminum cylinder in front of it). The engine is 132 cubic-freakin' inches! The guy at the display has already ridden it 25,000 miles and that included "the Tail of the Dragon". At $125K, I still wanted to remortgage my house for one.

All of the OEMs were there and they had lots of beautiful bikes to sit on and drool on. But when we got to the BMW display... OMG!
20181201_111549 BMW Nostalgia.jpg

I thought that I was looking at a one-off custom. A modern example of one of the most iconic BMWs ever produced. The original R7 was made in 1934 and only one was produced. It was the first motorcycle ever to have telescopic forks and it was gorgeous. The new one is based on the R NINE T. And you can actually buy them. Starting at $49,500. Only a strong (but weakening!) sense of fiscal responsibility is stopping me from going deeper into hock.

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No pics of Indians? FTR?
I sat on a couple of FTRs and lusted after owning one, but didn't take any photos of them. There are plenty of photos on the web already.
They ARE awesome! My wife really liked them too, but at 5 feet tall, she couldn't even put her feet on the floor if she straddled one. I'm 5' 11" and couldn't put my heels down. Riders of short stature may want to stick with riding a Scout.

·
Gold member
6,437 Posts
My wife and I have been going to the NYC Motorcycle show since the first "Great American Motorcycle Show" happened in the 1980s. That first year it was relegated to just a piece of an exterior corridor that circled Madison Square Garden. The entertainment was a movie projector showing of "On Any Sunday" in an area walled off with curtains and Doug Domokos "the Wheelie King" was doing wheelies on Honda trike ATVs. The show has grown since and been moved to the Jacob Javits Center, on the west side of Manhattan. And in the past few years it's shrunken down a bit, probably a reflection of the overall motorcycle industry.
View attachment 446608

This year was a good show. There were lots of custom bikes, including too many HD "Draggers" that had saddle bags and rear fenders that almost extended into the next zip code. They cool enough, until you walk past what seems like a platoon of the darn things. The custom that got my vote was a shovel head.
View attachment 446596
The entire frame, coupled with a tank below the engine was the oil tank. The rear fender and another tank below the seat carried the gas. And it's got a couple thousand miles under it. I talked with the owner and he said that it's already sold to Pink. She's some sort of celebrity.

At the back of the show we were wowed by the Confederate display. They've been making truly amazing S&S powered machines for years. But the central bike was an exercise in extremes!
View attachment 446602

I have never seen any other motorcycle that visibly showed so much machining! The cam drive is visible behind clear plastic.That's gasoline visible in the tank under the seat (and in the aluminum cylinder in front of it). The engine is 132 cubic-freakin' inches! The guy at the display has already ridden it 25,000 miles and that included "the Tail of the Dragon". At $125K, I still wanted to remortgage my house for one.

All of the OEMs were there and they had lots of beautiful bikes to sit on and drool on. But when we got to the BMW display... OMG!
View attachment 446606
I thought that I was looking at a one-off custom. A modern example of one of the most iconic BMWs ever produced. The original R7 was made in 1934 and only one was produced. It was the first motorcycle ever to have telescopic forks and it was gorgeous. The new one is based on the R NINE T. And you can actually buy them. Starting at $49,500. Only a strong (but weakening!) sense of fiscal responsibility is stopping me from going deeper into hock.
Thanks for posting, Football or the NYC bike show-no brainer (and my team is the worse team in the World) but they need me to watch. The Cincinnati Bengals! Ouch!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,847 Posts
Hey I've been a Browns fan for most of my life. You guys can have Hue. I think the Browns are the most improved NFL team this season. Last year they sucked though.

·
Silver member
5,050 Posts
Confederate motorcycles are amazing looking IMO; absolutely love there designs but can't justify the cash for one, way over priced.

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting, Football or the NYC bike show-no brainer (and my team is the worse team in the World) but they need me to watch. The Cincinnati Bengals! Ouch!
Hey! I know that game! Is Joe Namath still playing? I'll be he got a lot of baskets and home runs. I seem to recall that he did very well with the ladies. Or was that Magic Johnsten?

·
Bronze member
1,324 Posts
Even disregarding the whole cost issue of these ultra-high end bikes here, I'd take that Deco-styled Beamer way before that "Steampunk" Confederate, and although I thought I'd heard the latter mentioned company had gone out of business a while back.

(...but seein' as how I already have that "Deco-styled" Springfield sittin' in my garage and which cost me less than a third of what they're asking for that cool looking BMW there, I guess I'll stick with that one for a while)

·
Gold member
6,437 Posts
Hey I've been a Browns fan for most of my life. You guys can have Hue. I think the Browns are the most improved NFL team this season. Last year they sucked though.
And many many years prior. Bengals suck too! Not as bad as the Browns but it’s close-at least this year.

·
Bronze member
1,841 Posts
Is the ny show this time of year? Seems iffy weather wise. But then again I have never been to NY!
Nor a Motorcycle show per se. I have been to Daytona and Thunder Beach several times.

On a sad side note, Bengals fan here too. Relatives in Ky and Ohio that got me started on the Reds and Bengals way back in the 70’s

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the NY show this time of year? Seems iffy weather wise. But then again I have never been to NY!
Nor a Motorcycle show per se....
For too many years the NYC show was after Christmas. Last year and this year it's early December. Weather-wise, either way, the riding season is DONE for most of us. Yesterday was pretty decent in NYC, until the rain came in in the afternoon. Today (Sunday)... RAIN. But at the least, it is above freezing temperatures.

·
Bronze member
1,958 Posts
John Dorsey and Eliot Wolf will build a solid team in Cleveland.

As far as the show goes, that BMW is awesome.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,847 Posts
Who knows for sure? Anyhow in spite of the Browns' loss and shooting themselves in the feet several times they still are one heck of a lot better than they were last season. I'm not giving up on them.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
View attachment 446608

This year was a good show. There were lots of custom bikes, including too many HD "Draggers" that had saddle bags and rear fenders that almost extended into the next zip code. They cool enough, until you walk past what seems like a platoon of the darn things. The custom that got my vote was a shovel head.
View attachment 446596

View attachment 446602

View attachment 446606
Why is it that these people can figure out how to put the fuel down low under the rider, but a lot of our cruisers can’t? Moving 40lbs under the seat would help lower the center of gravity.

·
Gold member
6,437 Posts
Is the ny show this time of year? Seems iffy weather wise. But then again I have never been to NY!
Nor a Motorcycle show per se. I have been to Daytona and Thunder Beach several times.

On a sad side note, Bengals fan here too. Relatives in Ky and Ohio that got me started on the Reds and Bengals way back in the 70’s
It sucks to be us! You and I are the only fans left (and loyal too)!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts