Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on German-Styled WWll helmets and the conversation going with it got me to thinking about the various things we -some - riders adorn themselves with in order to either send a message, make a statement, or whatever. Clearly, the general public is confused by the meaning of some of the things we put on our bikes or wear, whether it be our patches, helmets, get-back whips (for some), jewelry, chains, boots, etc. Some on this forum will certainly disagree or find some of these Motorcycle Cultural icons to be ridiculous or unnecessary, but regardless of your thinking, there are many iconic vestiments of our Motorcycle Culture worth exploring, discussing, or showing off. You can start with your vest, jacket, handlebars, whatever.

So, that said, what do you have on either your bike or yourself when you are riding that "says something"?

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IMG_0610.jpeg

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Reactions: Notaharley

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
As little as possible even though I rub elbows and get invited on rides and get togethers by a couple MC clubs even our 1% Club. I stick out like a sore thumb around these guys, but that doesn’t stop either me or the guys from having fun.

·
Silver member
5,480 Posts
Only patches I have on my vest is my Canadian Pride and my favorite whiskey; if I could find a patch that say's "Glenlivet" I would probably sew that on as well...:LOL:
I have a JD emblem and JD stickers on my Chieftain also.
That's all for me.

·
Founding Member
1,932 Posts
Prudence, justice, temperance, fortitude. Items that have true meaning to some are just “I bought it to look cool” to others, which is ok, but the poser may not know or does not care that there is deeper meaning or a real purpose (aside from a get back whip) to some things that they adorn themselves with, so it becomes a joke. Many wear the “costume” to fit in, without knowing most of the pirate gear is functional and has a purpose, which is in itself funny as they are wanting to fit in to a group that is supposedly trying hard not to fit in. I think as long as people are true to themselves and authentic in their choice of a piece of jewelry, a patch, or a trinket for their bike, it’s all good. You cannot tell the posers from the true believers anyway (unless they are sporting a get back whip), and there is room for all.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prudence, justice, temperance, fortitude. Items that have true meaning to some are just “I bought it to look cool” to others, which is ok, but the poser may not know or does not care that there is deeper meaning or a real purpose (aside from a get back whip) to some things that they adorn themselves with, so it becomes a joke. Many wear the “costume” to fit in, without knowing most of the pirate gear is functional and has a purpose, which is in itself funny as they are wanting to fit in to a group that is supposedly trying hard not to fit in. I think as long as people are true to themselves and authentic in their choice of a piece of jewelry, a patch, or a trinket for their bike, it’s all good. You cannot tell the posers from the true believers anyway (unless they are sporting a get back whip), and there is room for all.
All that is true, but true believers keep their judgements to themselves. A person’s character rides before him or her and is remembered long after they have ridden off.

·
Senior member / rider
1,345 Posts
The thread on German-Styled WWll helmets and the conversation going with it got me to thinking about the various things we -some - riders adorn themselves with in order to either send a message, make a statement, or whatever. Clearly, the general public is confused by the meaning of some of the things we put on our bikes or wear, whether it be our patches, helmets, get-back whips (for some), jewelry, chains, boots, etc. Some on this forum will certainly disagree or find some of these Motorcycle Cultural icons to be ridiculous or unnecessary, but regardless of your thinking, there are many iconic vestiments of our Motorcycle Culture worth exploring, discussing, or showing off. You can start with your vest, jacket, handlebars, whatever.

So, that said, what do you have on either your bike or yourself when you are riding that "says something"?
I always take both middle fingers with me when I ride. They can be deployed as needed at a moments notice. ;)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
CVMA vest if I am riding in civvies. If I am in uniform, I have to have a reflective vest, or reflective material in my jacket. CVMA vest has reflective material sewn around the armholes to fulfill the requirement.

Reactions: clif02

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you want to do some real research, go to a bike night and start asking questions, you'll see people there with chaps and vests with a million patches on it and it's 100 degrees out ans they are standing in the sun, or a Dude and his Chick with matching outfits, or a badass looking guy with this badass looking chopper with the glow lights flashing and tits still on the tires and the the bike is a 2000 whatever model with 1000 miles on it. You'll be surprised at some of the answers you'll get if they don't think they are to "cool" to answer your question. Just my thoughts at 6:30 am with only a 1/2 cup of coffee in me.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The whole "biker" thing is also the bike you ride.
I nearly lost the circle I rode in when I went to Victory. When I went to the Vision (a.k.a. Spaceship) some would keep their distance.
The Chieftain is big enough to be a biker's ride -- but it's just getting accepted.

Now that I'm on a Scout and wearing a full face, I am getting tons of attention from a younger, sportier crowd, and the "bikers" hardly give me a glance or a wave.

You'll never see something as childish as a come-back-whip on an Adventure bike or sportbike.

Guys on sportier bikes also tend to be in better physical shape, overall---
So maybe THAT'S something I take with me. I worked hard and am in the best shape since I was in my 20's (50's now).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,405 Posts
I never got the "dress like a pirate" weekend warrior types who pretend to be big bad ass bikers. I've been riding for fifty years and I wear a helmet, riding boots and gloves with whatever is comfy and functional clothing and gear. Group rides are getting worse each year with stupid people drinking and doing dumb dangerous shit out on the road. I'm to the point of giving up group rides such as poker runs and charity rides that do the same for my own safety.

·
Rider
1,609 Posts
I’m sure a sociologist may be able to shed some light on this. My .02 is look at It from different angles. Motorcycle groups had a start by returning war vets. On their military uniforms they have what job they perform or Tabs, and a unit, squad or division and ribbons or medals for what they had done and they still do it today for example 101st Airborne Division 7th Cav. Then you have jump wings, infantry , EOD pins, Spec Warfare has their own pins like a Recon Marine or SEAL. Then you have all the ribbons / medals that range for things like good conduct to silver or bronze stars for example.

HD had also started doing their club thing Or Harley Owners Group back in the day. Look a 1% or even a riding club they are patched out with a title, a chapter, and associated patches from things they have done maybe even a rank or pecking order. Heck we even do it on this forum, it’s categorized by bike, amount of posts and time on the forum.

The time period say 20s and up when motorcycling took off people were in my opinion a lot more judgmental of those who were outside the norm.

Look at a goth kid for example today and think about a guy wearing makeup and dying his hair black back then. He would have been either beaten into conformity or shipped off to a farm somewhere out of state and never heard from again.

Different attitudes / mentally based off of geography may play a part as well as brand affiliation. T.V. Shows like Sons Of Anarchy take it to a whole different level as well. Perception is reality and people get into motorcycles for all sorts of different reasons. My opinion is I wave to whoever passes me on two wheels regardless of who is riding, what kind of bike they are riding and what club if any they are affiliated with. That doesn’t meant if I pull into a gas station I’m parking next to a group know for bad things but I’ll wave or head nod and go about my business. I don’t wear anything motorcycle affiliated but a helmet and a black vest to put my pistol in. When it gets cools enough outside I wear tan chaps that I got at a deal.

·
Early joiner
21 Posts
I guess I’m just boring because I just wear boot, jeans, t shirt, glasses and a helmet unless it’s cooler then I throw on a leather jacket or vest and gloves. All with no emblems or patches.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I wear what I consider normal clothing, boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt along with a helmet and gloves. I do wear my CVMA vest often.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts