Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roadrunner Magazine named the Chieftian, motorcycle of the year. The pic on the cover is at a lean to the left and you can see the underneath of the right saddle bag is not painted. Some have complianed about this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/10/30/roadrunners-motorcycle-of-the-year-the-indian-chieftain/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Do you believe everything you read? I find this to be a little bit of a bold statement considering this is a brand new bike off the assembly line that does not have a proven track record for Polaris. Please make the check out to...........I'm just skeptical in that department since there have been no long-term reviews on the bike as yet. I'm sure someone out there will log close to a 100K on the bike in the next year and then we will see. I remember all the hype with regard to the Vision and being the most 'advanced and futuristic' motorcycle on the market. I think they got the futuristic part down with regard to the dress, but there is nothing advanced or anything that hasn't been done before on the Vision in addition to a belt drive vs shaft drive and no ABS standard on the earlier models.
They have the Indian demo ride scheduled the weekend of Nov 15th at my neck of the woods. I plan on going on Sat with friends, killing some time, throwing down some burgers, and seeing for myself, but I don't have an interest in purchasing anything in the Indian lineup. I think they did a good job with the styling all the way around that would appeal to the hard core 'old school' Indian fans. I think the motor looks very yummy and Indian is on par as far as pricing. I think the bike will appeal to HD folks in addition to Victory fans also.
I'm very big into the meat and potatoes of things, utility, function, as opposed to styling, marketing, and hype of anything out there. I'm also not sure how the Indian would hold up in the hands of someone like myself who will log anywhere between 15-20K on a bike in a year not to mention my cruising speed is 75-85 mph. That all remains to be seen. I will leave that to someone who has deeper pockets and similar riding style like myself to put the bike throught its paces. It's a good think that hopefully Indian is here to stay with the Polaris backing. Maybe way back when if Indian obtained the military contract as opposed to HD, everybody would be riding Indians instead? If Polaris is on a roll, there are other extinct motorcycle brands that I would like for them to revive. Any suggestions out there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, there have been multiple reviews. You can start by checking out cycle world. You should re-post after your demo ride. I have #297 black Chieftain, and traded my Vic 2012 CCT. Sorry no comparison. Really liked the Vic, but Indian is in a different class. The 111 motor is in a class by itself. Fit and Finish top notch. Both are good bikes but like comparing Chevy and Cadalac. Nothing wrong with either, just get a bit more of everything on the premium brand. As they say 'ride one and you will own one'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
16437 said:
Really? Do you believe everything you read? I find this to be a little bit of a bold statement considering this is a brand new bike off the assembly line that does not have a proven track record for Polaris. Please make the check out to...........I'm just skeptical in that department since there have been no long-term reviews on the bike as yet. I'm sure someone out there will log close to a 100K on the bike in the next year and then we will see. I remember all the hype with regard to the Vision and being the most 'advanced and futuristic' motorcycle on the market. I think they got the futuristic part down with regard to the dress, but there is nothing advanced or anything that hasn't been done before on the Vision in addition to a belt drive vs shaft drive and no ABS standard on the earlier models.
They have the Indian demo ride scheduled the weekend of Nov 15th at my neck of the woods. I plan on going on Sat with friends, killing some time, throwing down some burgers, and seeing for myself, but I don't have an interest in purchasing anything in the Indian lineup. I think they did a good job with the styling all the way around that would appeal to the hard core 'old school' Indian fans. I think the motor looks very yummy and Indian is on par as far as pricing. I think the bike will appeal to HD folks in addition to Victory fans also.
I'm very big into the meat and potatoes of things, utility, function, as opposed to styling, marketing, and hype of anything out there. I'm also not sure how the Indian would hold up in the hands of someone like myself who will log anywhere between 15-20K on a bike in a year not to mention my cruising speed is 75-85 mph. That all remains to be seen. I will leave that to someone who has deeper pockets and similar riding style like myself to put the bike throught its paces. It's a good think that hopefully Indian is here to stay with the Polaris backing. Maybe way back when if Indian obtained the military contract as opposed to HD, everybody would be riding Indians instead? If Polaris is on a roll, there are other extinct motorcycle brands that I would like for them to revive. Any suggestions out there?
I agree with most of your post so what bike other than the Indian would be the best of the year in your opinion? I dont see another that comes even on par.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cant take anything that serious, the so called best is all over the place here is one for example. In several other Motorcycle reviews the Vics and HD's no where to be found, clearly there is a Bias.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
11222 said:
Cant take anything that serious, the so called best is all over the place here is one for example. In several other Motorcycle reviews the Vics and HD's no where to be found, clearly there is a Bias.
I think the Crossroads LE is probably the best looking bike I have seen in some time.

Myfirstvic, if you look at the post you make and don't see what you are riding right mouse and refresh. Look left at your profile pick of the XR. So have you traded that for the Judge you say you are riding?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2009 said:
I think the Crossroads LE is probably the best looking bike I have seen in some time.

Myfirstvic, if you look at the post you make and don't see what you are riding right mouse and refresh. Look left at your profile pick of the XR. So have you traded that for the Judge you say you are riding?
The judge was my first real Vic I ended up with the XR because I love the classic look and this particuler one could not pass up the deal. Also had bad problems with the Judge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If money wasn't an option I would certainly consider the Indian as a in town bar hopper. I'm not sure about the handling qualities of the bike at speed on the freeway. Hopefully we will be able to do some freeway riding at the Demo ride. I am looking forward to the Demo ride by the way. Any time you have a chance to do some riding with your buddies on someone else's dime in addition to free food and live music why not.
I personally think the new water cooled BMW R1200GS should be in the running. I would totally Dakar mine out with cases, euro trash stickers, not to mention I would never wash it. I also think the BMW K1600GTL should be in the running because of that sick and twisted 6 banger powerplant that sounds like an absolute symphony of destruction.
I'm hard pressed to spend 25K on a car not to mention a motorcycle even though motorcycling is by far the most serious hobby I have. If you have it spend it, but this is not the case for me. I have always bought used and had good luck thus far, knock on wood. I think my 09 Vision Premium I bought used with 5000 miles this past year for 13,200 out the door was a good deal.
It is really an unfair comparision in the sense the GS and K1600GTL as compared to the Indian may appeal to a completely different rider. I personally can get into anything and everything and have no brand loyalty to speak of. Irregardless of what it is you are riding, if the bike does what you intend it to do and you are happy with it that's all that matters. I haven't rulled the goldwing out either once I win the lottery or maybe a retirement present and the only new bike I would purchase since I would owe it to myself. The GS:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont agree its just like you will always have that first girl. Ok maybe have to change to my third Vic, in 15 years it will change again to my 7th Vic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
11222 said:
Dont agree its just like you will always have that first girl. Ok maybe have to change to my third Vic, in 15 years it will change again to my 7th Vic.
I had to change my name when I got rid of my Kingpin. I still miss it but dont miss the problems.

I dont care what a mag says is the best. Its just their opinion, they can have their own. If we didnt differ we would all ride the say machine and that would just be boring. I dont want people to know that the Vision is actually the best. I keep it a secret.

If I didnt read about it here I wouldnt have known the bags belly was to be painted and it would not have bothered me. The way the bag side extends down past the bag belly i just thought they were saving paint.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It, s like brushing your back teeth right ! Waist of time nobody ever sees them anyway. Whos going to see under the bags!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3406 said:
It, s like brushing your back teeth right ! Waist of time nobody ever sees them anyway. Whos going to see under the bags!

It's almost like sticking your head in a toliet to see if someone cleaned under the rim.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A Magazine saying it is the Best will not convince me .. Riders out here and one that I know actually put in at least 25,000 miles, now that I will believe if checked the link on Cycle Worlds Top 10, 4 of them were BMW's .. No Vic, No HD, and No Indian ..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts