Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I am now at the 500 mile mark and it’s time for my break in service . I wanted to know who does their own, or if they have a plan through Polaris or a dealership.

Those do have a plan , how much does everyone pay annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Have always done my own maintenance and repairs. Pretty easy to do. Do a search on this Midsize section for a free Maint. Manual download. When changing your oil , use the correct grade,weight and a good filter ( or just use the Scout oil change kit). And always save your receipts . Get a small notebook to keep dates,mileage and any other notations, changes you make, modifications,etc. Not trying to take anything away from the dealers. I used to wrench for a living. Just in my opinion, I see a lot of inexperienced mechanic wannabes now-a-days. I trust no one else to do any work on my vehicles or bikes., but then again it’s because I can.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have always done my own maintenance and repairs. Pretty easy to do. Do a search on this Midsize section for a free Maint. Manual download. When changing your oil , use the correct grade,weight and a good filter ( or just use the Scout oil change kit). And always save your receipts . Get a small notebook to keep dates,mileage and any other notations, changes you make, modifications,etc. Not trying to take anything away from the dealers. I used to wrench for a living. Just in my opinion, I see a lot of inexperienced mechanic wannabes now-a-days. I trust no one else to do any work on my vehicles or bikes., but then again it’s because I can.
I’ll do that .. and thanks .. I used to be a mechanic too for a living but financially , is the oil and maintenance items cheaper to do your self? ( I ask from Indian being a premium line and that’s my reasoning for asking )

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes, a lot cheaper. Parts cost will be the same. At $100/hr labor or more you can see why. The 500 mile service is supposed to include a compression check, I bet that don’t happen much, but you’ll get charged for it.IMO. Checking the drive belt alignment /tension is part of the 500 mile too. Unless you complain of noise I’m sure they may check tension with special tool and not go further. ( the tool to check drive belt tension is inexpensive and you should buy one, I have two types). Many people on this forum have paid in access of $500 and up. Do a search on Scout 500 mile maint cost. Not Rocket Science. IMO-Things to pay attention to are:

1.Changing oil and filter at or before factory time/ miles with proper oil and filter.lots of debate on this. Book says every 10 k. I do mine at 5k miles or less ( this is after the initial 500 mile service.
2. Check drive belt alignment and tension ( read up on that one).
3. Check clutch cable adjustment. It’s critical -clutch lever gap (use credit card).
4. Check shifter linkage, rod eyes alignment and lube pivot points w/ syn oil.
5. Check brakes operation, feel of lever and pedal- should be firm. Check calipers .
6. Check coolant level. Correct / top off if needed.
7. Check battery voltage while running ( 13.8-14) is what you want to see
8. Check under the rear fender and wire tie any loose wires/ terminal plugs.
9. Check side stand and lube pivot bolt.
10.Check tire pressure and try to move tire/ wheel side to side.
11.Check all nuts and bolts. Use a good torque wrench.
12.Check for any leaks, or seepage at engine cases/ covers.
13.Check all lights and operation. Replace junk OEM headlight bulb.
14.Wash and wax. Use appropriate chemicals on seat.
15.Check over entire bike . I’m sure I’m forgetting something.
16.Buy more tools, good ones. Get a good wheel chock,and a floor jack.
Ride as often and as much as possible.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Best investment you can make is getting the service manual and doing it yourself. You'll need some specialty tools, but most can be found for cheap online or even rented from somewhere like O'Reilly and they're listed in the beginning of the manual. I'm a mechanic, so I have my "go-to" fluids and filters and like knowing that everything was actually checked properly. Having been in this industry for a long time, I know not everyone is honest when it comes to inspecting things on vehicles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think after the 500 mile, I’ll do it myself .. get the stuff and tools like you guys said .. you tube also is wonderful at showing tutorials on this stuff too

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best investment you can make is getting the service manual and doing it yourself. You'll need some specialty tools, but most can be found for cheap online or even rented from somewhere like O'Reilly and they're listed in the beginning of the manual. I'm a mechanic, so I have my "go-to" fluids and filters and like knowing that everything was actually checked properly. Having been in this industry for a long time, I know not everyone is honest when it comes to inspecting things on vehicles.
Any particular place to get the service manual ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Any particular place to get the service manual ?

I’ll link you where I got mine. It’s like half the price of the one you can buy from Indian, but has the same content word for word.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts