Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there....

Anyone have suggestions on purchasing a motorcycle lift? I ride a 2019 Chieftain Limited. I went to YouTube and searched best mc lifts. J&P Jacks highly rated but boy are they pricey...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Following.

I have the same bike plus a VRod & I’ve had a Kendon on my wishlist for a while.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
I have now and had before a harbor freight lift table.
When I had before we sold it with the bike sale but ended up buying another.
Mounted the wheeldock wheel chock and just roll up and into position.
No straps no anything.
There is a plate that removes from under rear wheel where you can drop out the wheel.
Ive removed a rear tire from my vic hammer on this lift and it was a fat bob tire.
The only thing that might bother some is it is foot operated meaning you need to pump up with your foot. Really pumping with foot is no bother at all.
You can buy really reasonable if you use their coupon that is always available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Possible option, depending on what your primary use is; i.e., wrenching, cleaning, light maintenance, etc. but here are a couple of pics of my 2006 Big Dog K9 on a Harbor Freight Lift. I like it due to the limited space it takes when not in use. I believe the capacity is 1,100 pounds. Have not yet put my 2018 Indian Chieftain Limited on it.....

2013-07-09 15.56.09.jpg
2013-07-09 15.56.26.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Possible option, depending on what your primary use is; i.e., wrenching, cleaning, light maintenance, etc. but here are a couple of pics of my 2006 Big Dog K9 on a Harbor Freight Lift. I like it due to the limited space it takes when not in use. I believe the capacity is 1,100 pounds. Have not yet put my 2018 Indian Chieftain Limited on it.....

View attachment 598531 View attachment 598532

·
Registered
286 Posts
No straps no anything.
There is a plate that removes from under rear wheel where you can drop out the wheel.
Ive removed a rear tire from my vic hammer on this lift and it was a fat bob tire.
The only thing that might bother some is it is foot operated meaning you need to pump up with your foot. Really pumping with foot is no bother at all.
I have the same lift for about 5 years now and It works great.

·
Silver member
5,006 Posts

Let us know when you lift your Indian with it and how it works out. I'm looking at motorbike lifts and like the looks of this one. I have a '14 Chief Vintage with whitewall tires that need meticulous cleaning from time to time. And oil changes too of course.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a J&S jack. It is expensive and so was my bike. I like that it is mainly made in America, again, just like my bike. The hydraulic bottle jack is made in china. The company states that they can not find an American made hydraulic bottle jack to use in their lift. In todays world I would rather spend a little more on something made in this country instead of china.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts

I used to have this exact same lift jack.
I bought it it to use on my victory hammer.
Didnt trust it on the vic hammer as it twisted and racked side to side.
Those 2 lifter arms were twisting and the bike to me was very bouncey snd moved around a lot. You couldnt possibly work on anything this unstable.
My chieftain is way heavier than the vic was.
Would never even consider to mount up the chieftain to this lift.
I quickly sold it off.
I agree the concept and storage is good but using this to raise up my 28 grand chieftain aint gonna happen on those 2 weak square arms.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
Heaviest bike I put on it is my Full Dressed 2008 Roadglide and I believe that is about 900 lbs. and to clarify I’m using the harbor freight lift table. It handles the full dress bikes just fine.
Well thats a Horse of a different color then what was believed you were talking about.
Yes! I totally agree that the Harbor lift table is a decent unit very stable snd can lift the 850lb bike with ease. Its exaxtly what I use now with the Wheel Dock Chock. Very stable and the hydraulics hold where you put it.
It doesnt sink over time.
Some harbor freight stuff is good and some of it freakin junk. I have a battery Earthquake impact with extended nose 1200 ft pds torque and man that thing has so much power. It is such a nice tool more then the Snap-on.
That lift is really nice too. And will the coupon isnt it around 399.00? Or is that 299.00? Either way a decent unit.

·
Silver member
4,677 Posts
I have a J&S lift with Indian adapter I bought from a forum member. I recently purchased this:

So I do not need the J&S. Here's photo of it. If anyone is local to Tucson, AZ and would like it, I will make them a killer deal on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No straps no anything.
just wondering....some people say the harbor frieght lift needs to be a little wider for some stability. did you have any problems with stability with the lift

·
Silver member
5,006 Posts
So do you have to chock the bike upright before using the Harbor Freight lift? I have a Chief Vintage and I’ve never used a jack on my bike before. I’d appreciate some constructive input about how to do it before I end up dumping my bike on the driveway.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
just wondering....some people say the harbor frieght lift needs to be a little wider for some stability. did you have any problems with stability with the lift
Not at all but because of the weight of this machine 850lbs I choose to ride up the lift rather then run slong side of bike so the width is not wide enough to do so.
The work around which works well is I use car ramps along the sides. This give me stability to put feet flat down and ride right into the wheel dock chock.
I slide them away while using lift then when coming off lift I place them back along the sides and back out of the chock and down the ramp. So easy.
The lift I take all the way up and its solid and confident to do anything at full height.
I dont even use straps with the wheeldock chock.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
So do you have to chock the bike upright before using the Harbor Freight lift? I have a Chief Vintage and I’ve never used a jack on my bike before. I’d appreciate some constructive input about how to do it before I end up dumping my bike on the driveway.
The jack style lift harbor freight has one with the square tube forks. My experience with this is the bike needs to be level otherwize while its lifting its pulling the bike up straight.
Its very scarey when lifting and putting down as it tips. Those arms also just hang out and droop when lifting and this was on my vic hammer which is way lighter.
There is no way i would trust other then a small scooter on a lift like that.
You could drop your bike for sure, and even if you dont the stress you go thru lifting and lowering and the whole time bike is on that lift will almost kill ya.
If you use this lift after reading this and drop it dont post here back about it because I told you so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight platform lift, the one with the removable platform for rear tire change. A fellow rider gave me a Condor wheel chuck, which I installed instead of the one that came with the lift. The lift handles my '17 Chieftain Limited with ease, makes oil changes easier. I'm sure all of the changes that I've done to the bike would have been more difficult to access. Sure beats lying on the garage floor trying to reach those lower parts. The only thing that I would change would be a wider platform, there's not much room on either side. With that in mind, I'll share this incident that could have been a real disaster. Short version...bike fell off the lift when I was on it. This was maybe my third or fourth time riding up on the lift, and I hadn't quite got the front wheel locked in place. Since there was not much room to put my foot down, the bike went over and landed on its side.Thank goodness for engine and saddle bag guards. Not even a scratch. After that, I installed stair step gripper tape in a direct line with the wheel chock in addition to the on ramp. I am thinking about moving up to a J & S due to the space that the Harbor Freight lift uses in the garage. After buying the '70 Vette, the garage is filled with my toys and the wife would like to have her parking spot back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts