Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see who everybody is using for insurance on their Indian. I have received quotes anywhere from 325 a year to over 1000 a year on my 2020 Roadmaster. Which company offers a good rate? Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,301 Posts
Progressive is the best I’ve found. For my ftr and ktm 300 dual sport, with a $250 deductible, and 5k on accessory coverage on Both, my annual payment is $300. I’m under 40.

I have had a few friends total their bikes and progressive is great to work with and always pays out top dollar and within a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, tried them, they were almost 500 and I'm over 50, no tickets, no accidents, and safety course. Must have to do with the cost of the bike maybe.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,096 Posts
I pay 445 a year for my 19 rm a year with state farm....

·
Bronze member
2,301 Posts
Thanks, tried them, they were almost 500 and I'm over 50, no tickets, no accidents, and safety course. Must have to do with the cost of the bike maybe.
Perhaps. My fathers was a little more with his street glide.

They also decrease your premium over the years.

·
Belgian rider
555 Posts
In Belgium, I pay $ 350 (= +/- 320 €) a year for my Roadmaster. This includes the civil liability (required), + driver and passenger insurance against bodily injury in all cases of accident. I am 63 Y old.
An Omnium Insurance is almost impossible and if possible, depends on the insurance company, priceless. So in Belgium we almost all drive very defensively so that, in case of an accident with the motorcycle, we are in our right.
It means that, when we have made a mistake and caused an accident , we pay ourselves for our own costs to the motorcycle

·
Registered
266 Posts
Over 50, eh?

Join AARP and get a quote from them. Full coverage on my Scout is $325 or so a year through the Hartford.

Take advantage of your age if/whenever possible. Remember to tell kids to get off your lawn, shake your fist at the clouds for being lazy...

Also go for the Senior Slam at Dennys.

;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm clearly getting robbed! Or am I...? I'm a new rider - less than a year, over 50, no auto claims, no tickets, MSF course and I pay $850 a year with GEICO for my 2019 Chieftain! I'm sure the Northern Virginia (Washington, DC metro area) has something to do with it but $850?? What am I doing wrong?

·
Bronze member
2,301 Posts
Your insurance company. Shop around. Nationwide wanted almost 1k to insure my ftr. That’s with me having my house and vehicles bundled with it. I laughed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm clearly getting robbed! Or am I...? I'm a new rider - less than a year, over 50, no auto claims, no tickets, MSF course and I pay $850 a year with GEICO for my 2019 Chieftain! I'm sure the Northern Virginia (Washington, DC metro area) has something to do with it but $850?? What am I doing wrong?
Check around, I check all insurance about every 3 years. My home, auto, and umbrella policy are going to go down about 80 dollars a month. Need to keep looking for motorcycle insurance though. New quote was 400, staying where I am is 325 per year.

·
Rider
986 Posts
Progressive was the cheapest for me and that is with two bikes on the policy. Location also plays a part in the price. Ever live in New Jersey? Expensive!

·
Bronze member
1,567 Posts
Try Liberty Mutual. Link with your homeowners and auto policy for the BEST possible premiums. And ditch coverage to OTHER peoples property....when was the last time a bike destroyed a guys porch or bird bath!? The nice thing about Liberty Mutual, at least for me, riding and living in MA, they take into account that I will not be riding my bike from say November to March, due to time of year/weather. No turning in plate, no cancelling registration, no nothing.....just pay the renewal and you're good to go. Policy coverage on some of my bikes, which meets the low mileage criteria is a couple hundred feathers/bike. But I keep 3 or 4 bikes on the road every year. Nice to have options.;)

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
$160 every 6 months for the Scout with State Farm.

Personal opinion, insurance is a bloodsucking leech. Only thing worse is not having it!

My father bought me a used pick up truck as a gift a dozen years ago so we could use it to do things that needed a truck. I keep it on a property he owns. He’s always paid the insurance for it.
Just this year he asked me what’s going on with the truck now. It developed a transmission leak a couple years ago but I only drove it a few times since then and not at all since last summer.
He tells me the insurance cost $350 last time, or $700 per year!
I said stop payment on that.
When he remarried 8 years ago his wife had an old pick up truck that they still use. Found out they only pay about $150 a year for that.
Both trucks are 14 years old. Absolutely ridiculous difference in insurance costs. Mad at myself for not finding this out earlier. He’s 86 going on 87 next month.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have AAA and pay $190.34 for 1 year full coverage and no deductible on my 2015 Roadmaster. They also insure my house and 3 cars.

·
Rider
421 Posts
Think it's by state not area if you garage you bike in Va it should be by their laws. With that being said I paid 270 ish a year in Va for a 15 Chieftain through AIC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! I'm new to riding and to motorcycle insurance and wasn't sure how much my lack of experience factored into my rates. My house is with USAA but they don't do motorcycle insurance anymore. They referred me to Progressive, which was just as expensive as my GEICO policy but for less coverage.

Maybe I'm carrying too much coverage? What's the thinking here? I've got...

Bodily injury - $100K/$300K
Property damage - $50K
Uninsured Motorist Bodily injury - $100K/$300K
Uninsured Motorist Property damage - $50K
$250 deductible

I commute almost every day, even in the winter.

·
Rider
421 Posts
Ahhh. If you just got your mc license. Then that’s why your premiums are more.

IDK about that in VA you usually get a pretty big discount for having taken the class (which is the easiest way to get your endorsement here). When I got my first bike 8 years ago, a 02' Yamaha Vstar 650 classic the insurance for full coverage was $110.00/year

·
Bronze member
2,301 Posts
That was a very cheap bike and 8 years ago.

Full coverage for my gfs cbr500r is $600 a year since she just got her license. She has a clean record AND did the full safety class. Her bike is far less powerful and a 1/5th the cost of my Ftr and my insurance is less than half hers. Experience matters in most states as I had my
Mc endorsement for almost 15 years.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts