Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Florida is one of those states that doesn't "require" motorcycle insurance to register a bike - but it's more complicated than that, and can be downright confusing. My wife - who is an attorney and also rides - recently did a blog post about what is required in FL and what it might be a good idea to have. Not my intention to spam this forum with business links, but this good info for FL folks:

·
Rider
426 Posts
Pretty good article, and while it does not say so exactly, explains why you can get bike insurance for under a hundred bucks in FL. might make you legal, but it's crap insurance. It also may be legal in FL but what if you go out of State?

Need to consider also carrying uninsured motorist coverage, and unfortunately, FL is one if the most expensive states to get that in, because so many FL drivers don't have insurance or enough insurance. I think one third of my premium is for uninsured motorist coverage.

Medical payments coverage is something to consider. A visit to an emergency room will set you back at least 5000 by the time they finish x rays, blood work, and invite a bunch of out of network Doctors to look at you. And that's if there is nothing really wrong with you, start patching up broken bones and such and you could be buying a new pickup. Most people who have health insurance these days have stupid high deductibles, so the first 5 or 10 grand is on you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty good article, and while it does not say so exactly, explains why you can get bike insurance for under a hundred bucks in FL. might make you legal, but it's crap insurance. It also may be legal in FL but what if you go out of State?

Need to consider also carrying uninsured motorist coverage, and unfortunately, FL is one if the most expensive states to get that in, because so many FL drivers don't have insurance or enough insurance. I think one third of my premium is for uninsured motorist coverage.

Medical payments coverage is something to consider. A visit to an emergency room will set you back at least 5000 by the time they finish x rays, blood work, and invite a bunch of out of network Doctors to look at you. And that's if there is nothing really wrong with you, start patching up broken bones and such and you could be buying a new pickup. Most people who have health insurance these days have stupid high deductibles, so the first 5 or 10 grand is on you.
Everything you say is true. When I tell people what I pay for insurance on two bikes (with a 300k UM/UIM stacked coverage) they smugly reply how I am overpaying because they pay (like you mentioned) 100 dollars a year. I reply "hope you never get hit".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts