Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using motorcycle handlebar muffs on their Indian Chieftain or Roadmaster during the winter months?

I live in New England and ride my Chieftain all year round (when there is no ice or snow on the ground). The only part of me that gets too cold is my hands. Heated grips are good, but the windchill on thick winter groves in 32-degree weather is still there.

There are a lot of different motorcycle handlebar muffs available, but I am not sure how or if they will fit over the big controls and clutch/brake levers and provide enough room for my had to safely operate my bike.

Let me know if you or someone you know is or has used motorcycle handlebar muffs on on an Indian Chieftain or Roadmaster. Thanks!`

·
Rider
974 Posts
I looked in to the muff and wind breakers, and didn't find something that was reviewed highly. Not to mention the absolute fugliness of the muffs.
So I gave in and bought a pair of battery (recharchable) heated gloves. They are very comfortable. No wires through the sleeves or up the a$$. Now after an hour of riding at 35-40 weather, me hands are still warm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked in to the muff and wind breakers, and didn't find something that was reviewed highly. Not to mention the absolute fugliness of the muffs.
So I gave in and bought a pair of battery (recharchable) heated gloves. They are very comfortable. No wires through the sleeves or up the a$$. Now after an hour of riding at 35-40 weather, me hands are still warm.
What brand gloves dis you choose?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a set of Hippo Hands that I have had for quite a while now and have used them on a number of bikes. I use them on my chieftain when the weather drops down below 40°.
Thanks Splitt, Do you feel like you have full control of everything with the Hippo Hands on your chieftain? And, how easy and quick are they to put on and take off the Chieftain?

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
A couple of months ago I also got battery gloves, and like them a lot. Good for snow blower time too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought a pair of 12v heated gloves from California Heat (a local Maryland company) in November. The wires connect into my heated jacket liner that I also bought from California Heat. The combination works great on my 30-45 minute commutes. I've ridden in temps down to the upper teens - stayed warm and was able to manipulate the controls just fine.

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
Thanks Splitt, Do you feel like you have full control of everything with the Hippo Hands on your chieftain? And, how easy and quick are they to put on and take off the Chieftain?
I have full control of everything with the Hippo Hands. The ones are vinyl with a synthetic fur type lining that use a velcro strap at the end that wraps around the handlebars, then a velcro seam that runs along the length of the back side and some buttons that allow it to be snapped around a mirror, brake reservoir, etc.. Besides keeping the wind off of my hands, the handlebars and grips do not get as cold. The grips are not as warm as heated grips, but without them its like holding on to an icicle.

I can put them on the bike in less than two minutes and remove them in 30 seconds.

There are only two downfalls to them that I have found. First, you have to run all of the controls by memory. (this is not an issue in the fall after riding all summer, but the first couple of rides in the spring gets the old gray matter churning) This wasn't an issue on my other bikes because there were no high-tech electronic controls like my chieftain. Just a start button, kill switch, high/low headlight switch, horn, turn signals and possibly a toggle trigger on the front of one housing. The second issue is their appearance. In no way do these enhance the visual styling of my chieftain, but I'm not that vain and I'd rather have warm hands. Besides that, I bought them 30 years ago and they have more than paid for themselves in that time.

·
Rider
974 Posts
What brand gloves dis you choose?
These guys, I really like them. They seem very good quality, hard knuckles, soft leather. Even warm without the heating element. 50F and above, I rarely need to turn them on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I‘m using glove liners in my winter riding gloves and plan to install heated grips — feels like the best way for me to go. Although the heated gloves also seem like a great option.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have full control of everything with the Hippo Hands. The ones are vinyl with a synthetic fur type lining that use a velcro strap at the end that wraps around the handlebars, then a velcro seam that runs along the length of the back side and some buttons that allow it to be snapped around a mirror, brake reservoir, etc.. Besides keeping the wind off of my hands, the handlebars and grips do not get as cold. The grips are not as warm as heated grips, but without them its like holding on to an icicle.

I can put them on the bike in less than two minutes and remove them in 30 seconds.

There are only two downfalls to them that I have found. First, you have to run all of the controls by memory. (this is not an issue in the fall after riding all summer, but the first couple of rides in the spring gets the old gray matter churning) This wasn't an issue on my other bikes because there were no high-tech electronic controls like my chieftain. Just a start button, kill switch, high/low headlight switch, horn, turn signals and possibly a toggle trigger on the front of one housing. The second issue is their appearance. In no way do these enhance the visual styling of my chieftain, but I'm not that vain and I'd rather have warm hands. Besides that, I bought them 30 years ago and they have more than paid for themselves in that time.
Are you still using the Muffs. Would love to see how they attach on your bike.

I'm looking to go this route with my Challenger.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
Are you still using the Muffs. Would love to see how they attach on your bike.

I'm looking to go this route with my Challenger.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I got some pics of the Hippo Hands mounted on my chieftain.

PXL_20210317_232034523.jpg PXL_20210317_232045635.jpg

You open the seam and slide them over the handlebars. It has a combination of both snaps and velcro that are used to close the seam. Also, on the far inside edge, there is a velcro strap that you pull tight to keep the air from blowing through. As you can see, the mirrors, GPS mount and drink holder are sticking through the seam.

It takes me three to four minutes to put them on and about thirty seconds to remove them. I can fold them up and put them in the saddlebags or strap them to the passenger seat if I don't need them. Yeah, they look goofy, but I don't care, they keep my hands warm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts