Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So reading the motorcycle.com e-mail, I notice their review on the Triumph Patrol Jacket having owned a Triumph Daytona. Then I look at the photo to see which Triumph he is riding come to find out he is on a Scout!!!

Triumph Patrol Jacket Review

They just crack me up.

Reactions: Edward Walsh

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Triumph knows the scout is a winner. Not a direct competitor.. But I think so.
All company's are trying to enlarge their market share.. Hence Triumph to sell motor clothes.
I bet you dollars to donuts that most money made in the motorcycle manufacturing is on the back end... Not the front end.. Take a loss on the bike... Make money on parts, clothing, accessories..indian had better get on the back end too! :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
All company's are trying to enlarge their market share.. Hence Triumph to sell motor clothes.
I bet you dollars to donuts that most money made in the motorcycle manufacturing is on the back end... Not the front end.. Take a loss on the bike... Make money on parts, clothing, accessories..indian had better get on the back end too! :)
If motorcycles were marked up like clothes most people couldn't afford them. A name brand t-shirt made in China has a bigger mark up yet. Dealers love it when somone says they are "passing through". That guy is about to buy and advertise for a dealer he may never see again.
If the competition could get the Harley brand loyalty the "Motorclothes" department starts paying the rent.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have heard say that "Harley Davidson is a fashion store" Wasn't quit sure about that until I went to a Harley store in Wash DC only to find they had no
bikes, only clothes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
get a grip Bobby...
A motorcycle magazine reviews a motorcycle jacket,,,,,,,,and just because ONE of the motorcycles in their stable happens to be something different than the Maker / Brand of the jacket they are testing,,,,,,somehow you find this odd?

why.?

with your logic,,,,anytime Motorcycle.com tests/reviews a Suzuki Jacket, they must ride around with the jacket while riding some kind of Suzuki...

Really?

they gave a good review of the jackets features and benefits........the makes and models of what ever motorcycle they tested the jacket on ,,, over how many days,,,, has ZERO to do with the review.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And you crack me up. They wont be reviewing that suzuki jacket on a harley... I bet.

The point i was making was

Im just giddy that they are using the bike that we are waiting for. Perhaps the words crack me up means something different than you.

Reactions: Edward Walsh

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
If the online magazines took the discretion to test the triumph Jacket while on a Indian... Poor taste. Except that the review made it clear that triumph was interested in selling the jacket to all types of bike... Riders. If triumph was HD.. I'm sure there would be severe consequences.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
It's only natural to want to identify with whatever brand your new bike is.... and there's an almost irresistable urge to buy their branded clothing. However, you end up being a clone, looking like everyone else. That's ok if you want to look like everyone else, but the fact almost everyone goes to lengths to add personal touches to their bikes tells me they want to stand out. So why buy branded clothing? Beats me...

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Come on that's easy to understand.. :)
It's more intuitive then women wanting to dress color coordinated.
Everyone seems to want to fit into some kind of tribe. Even if you fancy your self as a non conformer, its a tribe You ride a bike, especially a cruiser.. Your a biker or wanna be biker...(tribe) like it or not, it's a automatic association.

If your serious about personal protection on a bike.. You buy Vansen or some other top name brand. Aerostich Roadcrafter. It zips off and on in 10 seconds, adding race-level protection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Triumph Bonneville and one of their leather britt flag jackets. Its a great fitted jacket with nice armor. Great quality so far. Funny thing is i bought it at a Triumph dealer that has a huge Harley dealer as the parent Ray Price.

I do agree there is that sense of pride in your bike that for some you want to display. I really like my wife and I's shared Bonny but i am being pushed out of it as she wants it (plus i think we need to lower it for her height anyway). So if i get my way and thing go right i might be a first timer Indian owner running sround with a britt flag leather jacket....confused but would be damed happy with that!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Triumph Bonneville and one of their leather britt flag jackets. Its a great fitted jacket with nice armor. Great quality so far. Funny thing is i bought it at a Triumph dealer that has a huge Harley dealer as the parent Ray Price.

I do agree there is that sense of pride in your bike that for some you want to display. I really like my wife and I's shared Bonny but i am being pushed out of it as she wants it (plus i think we need to lower it for her height anyway). So if i get my way and thing go right i might be a first timer Indian owner running sround with a britt flag leather jacket....confused but would be damed happy with that!
I just think it was a screw up by the marketing people. oops. And who got their arse chewed out for missing that ???? Trying not to drink the coolaid.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The review was by motorcycle.com not Triumph. Interesting that they picked the Scout for the picture shoot. The idea that Triumph markets jackets without a large advertising on the back opens up the market to all riders. As much as I think I will like my Scout I think I will still wear my Harley FXRG jacket in cold weather. I found it has features that really have me rate it quite good. It does though have a Harley logo embossed on the back.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The review was by motorcycle.com not Triumph. Interesting that they picked the Scout for the picture shoot. The idea that Triumph markets jackets without a large advertising on the back opens up the market to all riders. As much as I think I will like my Scout I think I will still wear my Harley FXRG jacket in cold weather. I found it has features that really have me rate it quite good. It does though have a Harley logo embossed on the back.
What's "FXRG" stand for?

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Raysred1... People are gonna think you go both ways with that jacket! :)

FXRG..
I forget what it stands for.. You'd have to look it up.
But it's HD's high end, purpose "road clothes"

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I've never cared for English bikes..manly because of the parallel twin. They sound dumb and vibrate dumber.

You'll never catch me with a "English" jacket on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I love my bull-hide San Diego Leather Factory Type A-2 flight jacket.
Owned and worn it for over 20 years. been all over the US
And though my weight gain had made the jacket tight to wear, SDLF will gladly make the necessary alterations. - They also make biker jackets, as well.
They are down in National City..

Bobby, you should check them out. - You may be able to get
the best custom biker jacket made

There's another outfit in Santee on Weld. But they are more
production oriented.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
My better half showed me some cheesy Terrance Trent Darby (sp?) video from the 80's that features a kickass Springfield Indian in it. At the very end the guy turns around and his jacket says Triumph. Really ugly bedazzeled Triumph jacket. I said "WTF??"

·
Registered
468 Posts
My better half showed me some cheesy Terrance Trent Darby (sp?) video from the 80's that features a kickass Springfield Indian in it. At the very end the guy turns around and his jacket says Triumph. Really ugly bedazzeled Triumph jacket. I said "WTF??"
Bcause it's an Indian. That's why.
I think Triumph owners would rather ride an Indian than an HD.

That's the pecking order.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts