Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for anyone with "firsthand" experience(s) with motorcycle airbag vests. I'm particularly interested in "newer" vests that were worn in crashes during the past 0-3 years. The technology is advancing rapidly, so vests that were designed before 2017 may not fit my need. I'm interested in tethered and untethered vests that may be worn over and/or under a riding jacket.

I've always been somewhat leary of manufacturers' testimonials, so that's why I'm asking input from you riders who aren't in the business of selling motorcycle airbag vests.

Thanks again

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Helite GP that is just over a year old. It has been deployed twice by me separating from the bike and once to see what it felt like when I first got it. I race vintage bikes and I am a believer. I have witnessed crashes that I would have expected to see some serious injury and the riders hopped up and went on. I am far from saying they will prevent you from being injured but I think the likely hood of them reducing your injuries is substantial.

I will probably wait until next year to purchase new leathers as I want to buy leathers with integrated air bags and that technology is really in it's infancy in my opinion.

Would I buy Helite again? Absolutely. I received an email the other day from them showing new products and I am actually considering purchasing for street riding as well, but will also be looking for an integrated air chamber jacket for that as well.

There are deals to be had on them, I know many riders who have them and not one paid retail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, one learns something new every day. I did not know these existed. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Helite GP that is just over a year old. It has been deployed twice by me separating from the bike and once to see what it felt like when I first got it. I race vintage bikes and I am a believer. I have witnessed crashes that I would have expected to see some serious injury and the riders hopped up and went on. I am far from saying they will prevent you from being injured but I think the likely hood of them reducing your injuries is substantial.

I will probably wait until next year to purchase new leathers as I want to buy leathers with integrated air bags and that technology is really in it's infancy in my opinion.

Would I buy Helite again? Absolutely. I received an email the other day from them showing new products and I am actually considering purchasing for street riding as well, but will also be looking for an integrated air chamber jacket for that as well.

There are deals to be had on them, I know many riders who have them and not one paid retail.
thunderalley3, your review was exactly what I was hoping for and glad to hear that you did not receive serious injuries. I am 73 years old and have been riding 50 years. A full face helmet saved my life in 1978 and I try to "dress for the crash and not for the ride". I agree with your assessment that an airbag vest will reduce injuries and when it comes to safety, price doesn't matter. I recall a Bell Helmet's back page advertisement for their new line of helmets in 1976 and the tag line was "If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet".....kinda made sense to me. Thanks again and good luck with your racing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am 61 so not a youngster either. I remember the Bell Helmet ad well, actually owned a few of them at that time.

As we age our bones are more fragile as well as our internal organs being more susceptible to injury due to a decrease in muscle mass and tone.

Helite makes many models of vests as well as they now have a jacket that has the same protection. The GP is made for racing and I must admit it would probably become uncomfortable if worn for more than an hour or so at a time as you are well restrained in it. The street model, not sure of the name but it has the same "turtle" technology looks like it would be much more comfortable and is priced around 2-300 dollars less. They are great to answer questions on the phone and point you in the right direction. I was concerned on the sizing and they got me in the right one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts