Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who likes the history of when Indian motorcycle was officially Indian Motocycle?

I wish Indian would have kept that distinctive spelling when Polaris took the name.

Just another way they could have distinguished themselves from the "pack."

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was. The "Motocycle" Na MN e was only used by Indian from 1924-1930, I think. Just would have been a cool thing, that's all.

Reactions: EZ Rider 55

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I had a cousin who owned a 2004 HD dresser, bought brandy new in 04,[I forget which model], AND, a 2001 Indian Chief,also bought brandy new in 01. [I think that was the last year of production for Indian until it was bought out by Polaris some years later] Anyways,he still had both machines up until last summer when he passed away.But we had riden together many times previously, including after I had purchased my Indian SDH,which he liked,A LOT!!.But he preferred riding the HD,verses his 01 Indian Chief because it had a bigger motor and,obviously more power.He was also entertaining buying another new Indian to replace the Harley,which I believe would have been the Challenger "IF" he was still around!!

·
Rider
1,192 Posts
I prefer the “Motocycle” spelling as well. But I doubt Polaris would be likely to change or even add that without some groundswell of support.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I repost my reply here from the message Motocycle Vs Motorcycle:

This online article might make the usage both obsolete and incorrect.
According to that, it was a name given to the horseless carriage.

Maybe it was resurrected with the thought of it being an early name for a motorized vehicle.

Before finding that I would’ve thought it had something to do with the earliest motorized bicycles.

addendum

And I considered appropriate enough before reading about that.
Well then again if the intent was somewhere along those lines I guess it could still be OK.
I really had thought it was original and specific to Indian, and then again it might still be.… For motorcycles anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts