Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Motocycle Vs Motorcycle

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
Is it a two wheeled vehicle, aka cycle, with a motoR or a moto installed in it?

But we could also get into the debate on the differences Between a motor and an engine. But an enginecycle doesn’t flow very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
This online article might make the usage both obsolete and incorrect.
According to that, it was a name given to the horseless carriage.

Maybe it was resurrected with the thought of it being an early name for a motorized vehicle.

Before finding that I would’ve thought it had something to do with the earliest motorized bicycles.

·
Belgian rider
554 Posts
1. English is not my native language. 2. In my language (Flemish) we say MotoRfiets. 3. So when I should translate Motorfiets to English, I would say MotoRcycle or MotoRbike. 4. Without the R it doesn't feel natural to me.
But who am I..... Anyway, as long as we understand what we are saying it is alright for me. A biker is a biker, with a motocycle or motorcycle. Ugh

·
Rider
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For those unaware, the Hendee Manufacturing Company was formed in 1901.
In 1923, the company changed its name from that to The Indian Motocycle Company—no “R”. The company then used the “R” and “no R” in different places interchangeably until sometime in the 40’s when the “no R” fades from use. Just asking if, for the sake of nostalgia, some might want a return of the “no R” Motocycle?
Maybe on T-shirts or advertising or whatever.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last year for Fathers Day my son designed a T-shirt for me. He accidentally left out the "R" and nobody noticed at first. But even after we did, I liked it anyway for the nostalgic connection to Indians of old.

0822190918.jpg

PS... The "Est. 1982" reference was his and my wife's best guess of what year I actually had my own garage to work in. In actuality, I've been working on cars and bikes since I started driving in 1969. "Sproul's Garage" is fictitious also. While I work on a lot of stuff (mostly my own, sometimes for friends), I do not have a business.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,818 Posts
I go with moto since the Indian was resurrected may as well use the older name. I also have a jean jacket/shirt that uses the older version of moto. Now it's a one off so don't go getting your panties in a wad. We had it made that way and I love it.

Reactions: Kruzn

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
Now there’s Motaur too.
Okay, probably not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts