Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and a new Indian owner this year and I have already found this forum to be a great source of information! After about 1,000 miles on my Bobber I am definitely in need of a new seat so I thought I would ask for some advice/insights here. Currently I need to get off after about an hour on the stock seat when my lower back starts to scream. I am down to either the Mother Road Customs sprung seat or a Corbin solo seat. I love the look of the Mother Road Customs seat and I am willing to sacrifice some function in favor of the look. I have read through several threads with related comments and so far nothing has scared me away from buying one, but I still have a few additional questions.

1. I mostly do a 20 minute commute to work or go for a 75-100 mile ride on back roads on weekends so I do not need a touring seat, but want to verify the Mother Road seat will be comfortable or at least an improvement for a 2-3 hour ride.
2. How much does it change your seating position and how does that effect the wind hitting you? The majority of the comments I came across were in regard to it being slightly higher and more forward on the standard Scout where the seat height is lower than the Bobber if I am not mistaken.
3. Does it effect the center of gravity of the bike or the handling? Does the seat seem bouncy or floaty? I do not consider myself an overly aggressive rider but I do not want to negatively impact the handling or feel like I am going to fall off the bike in the corners either. On that note, does it keep you in the seat better when you give it throttle? I feel like I am going to slide off the back of the stock seat under any kind of enthusiastic acceleration now.
4. Specifically on the Bobber did you have any issues with installation or afterwards with the seat bottoming out or the springs hitting your fender? How have the seat and mount held up long term?
5. The biggest thing that has me hesitating is that the mounting plate looks to have rubber spacers between it and the frame which creates a gap between the two. In some of the photos on the website I could clearly see the positive battery cable showing. How noticeable is the gap and does it allow a lot of dirt and dust to build up under the mounting plate?

Any other comments or insights are very welcome. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
ive had mine on my bike for a good bit and basically everything you are worried about ive never had a issue with. only thing i say for sure to do is get the gel pad. ive done 400-500 mile days with mine and felt fine vs the stock seat i could do a 200 miles top and i would be hurting the next day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive had mine on my bike for a good bit and basically everything you are worried about ive never had a issue with. only thing i say for sure to do is get the gel pad. ive done 400-500 mile days with mine and felt fine vs the stock seat i could do a 200 miles top and i would be hurting the next day.
I was definitely going to get the added gel pad, thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was definitely going to get the added gel pad, thanks!
no problem, and i just noticed the bit about holding you in the seat. the mother roads dose it WAY better then the stock ever did for me. I could drop the hammer in first and still feel like the seat was doing its job of keeping me on the bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I put one of these seats on my new bobber.
(https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-scout-today.5293/page-306#post-3287502)
Well, truth be told, I couldn't do it myself - I followed the directions to the letter, watched the video about 20 times and still couldn't get the plate on over the wire bundles. Turns out the spacer that they told me to use was too thick - I sort of knew this from looking at it and I tried it without the spacer but the plate would then make contact with the fender. I was really frustrated but my local dealer saved the day by trying different spacers (and providing expertise and patience).
All in all, a great seat, softens the ride, looks super, good quality stuff, etc. etc.
My only negative with the whole thing is that Mother Road isn't very communicative. I tried to get them on the phone several times (the original shipment didn't have the springs in it) but they apparently only answer emails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put one of these seats on my new bobber.
(https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-scout-today.5293/page-306#post-3287502)
Well, truth be told, I couldn't do it myself - I followed the directions to the letter, watched the video about 20 times and still couldn't get the plate on over the wire bundles. Turns out the spacer that they told me to use was too thick - I sort of knew this from looking at it and I tried it without the spacer but the plate would then make contact with the fender. I was really frustrated but my local dealer saved the day by trying different spacers (and providing expertise and patience).
All in all, a great seat, softens the ride, looks super, good quality stuff, etc. etc.
My only negative with the whole thing is that Mother Road isn't very communicative. I tried to get them on the phone several times (the original shipment didn't have the springs in it) but they apparently only answer emails.
Good to know on the communication, thanks. I was planning to contact them to see about getting some leather samples to see what looks best with the Bronze Smoke.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I really really really want one but the few times the ol lady rides she's wanting something comfortable. Any luck with the p pads from anyone?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts