Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start a thread with embarrassing moments. And I'd like to hear yours as well. I'll start with myself... they all happened within my first couple of years when I started riding. I think.

I just bought my first ever bike, at 17 years old. It was a 2002 Yamaha R6. Showed it off to a co-worker friend of mines and rode it to his house. My friend who has been riding for a few years was giving me a few pointers and he got to the subject of, "Just be patient while you are learning. Practice your slow parking lot maneuvers first because if you don't you will drop your bike a few times." I took this as an insult and went about as I'm sitting on my bike saying "I'm not clumsy and I'll never be those people that drop their bikes, I'll be super careful at all times." Of course my friend says, "it's just a matter of time." While in mid speech I got off the bike forgetting the kickstand and I did a parkour flip to the left and my bike hit the ground. My friend calmly says, "I told you." Hysterical laughter ensues.

One time, a friend and I was at the mall after school and we had our bikes parked in front. There was a group of girls that were watching as we got to our bikes and we were getting ready to ride off. We started the bikes, put our gear on and click to first gear. We looked at each other and said, "ready"? Then off we went. We were both on the ground because we forgot our bike locks that was on the rear brake disc. Very embarrasing. Thank god for tinted visors.

And finally... I went to a local motorcycle garage shop to visit my friend working. It was located in a mall complex, so there were a lot of people. I took a sharp right to park in a stall and I misjudged the angle and the bike dropped as I attempted to park. The thing is, it was done in a slow manner and it looked like what you normally would do when you let go your bicycle in front of your friends house when get to his yard. There was a large SUV right next to my parking spot full of hot women. I left the bike on the ground hoping that it looked like I did it on purpose and I walked into my friends shop leaving my helmet on. As soon as I get in, I hide behind the shop counter telling my friend to please tell me when they leave so I can go outside and pick up the bike.

I got more but it's y'alls turn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh the stories we could tell....had my 2500cc Suzuki stolen while I was away in the service, so was seeking another dirt bike, found a 250cc Honda Elsinore MX bike, kick start was on the left....anyway, was taking it for a little test ride in the back forty by the shop, in second gear and decided to give her a little goose, next think I remember I was on my back and the bike was about 20 feet in front of me. Got back to the shop and the sales guy had tears in his eyes he was laughing so hard...said to me, "a little more power than you're used to?" My reply was, "I'll take it!" couldn't quit smiling the rest of the day.

·
Founding member
1,276 Posts
Ok, I'll play... Just one to start, but there are many to be honest.

So I had recently been elected Commander of our local Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association Chapter and as such I lead most normal Chapter rides. That's an unwritten tradition, not any type of requirement, just something that has always been done. One of the first things I did was start a Wednesday night ride, the "Mid-Week Break" during the summer months. It was well received and we were getting between 20-30 bikes showing up to ride somewhere to share some laughs and stories.

On this particular Wednesday we decided to go to a nice lakeside Bar & Grill to cap off an awesome ride. The Bar & Grill shared a parking lot with a local Motorcycle Club and they at times held "Church" on Wednesdays, so when that was the case we would ensure they were good with us parking in the corner of their parking lot closest to the Bar. Never an issue, but it's always good to show courtesy. On this particular night they were holding an informal "Church" and let us know it was fine, but understand we need keep the main lot open for their family. No problem for us, we parked up and went into the public Bar for some comradery..... Spent some time enjoying ourselves, then decided it was time to mount up and head out. Great night and many laughs....

Once outside we realized that their parking lot had in fact filled up pretty good and they were outside BBQ'ing and enjoying themselves. Because of the lay of the parking lots it was much easier for us to line up in front of the Clubhouse, but with their crowd out there we didn't want to just do that, so myself and another went to ensure they were good with us staging in front of their entrance. "No problem" was the response....

So I go outside and we talk about the ride out and home from there... ie Route, who's dropping out where, etc....

Anyway, long story longer, I'm on my Chieftain and I park in front of the BBQ area so everyone can get staged up prior to departure.... This would have been the spring 2016 timeframe, so seeing an Indian was very rare. Several of the MC folks walked around the bike and others jokingly made comments about it, but the point is, she had certainly drawn the attention of the MC members who were coming outside to hear how she sounded. The President had let me know he liked the Chieftain and most of his Brothers liked it also, as they had all given it a walk around while we were inside.....

So I'm waiting as my fellow CVMA members line up behind us, and with 30 bikes, it can take a minute or two... As I'm sitting there waiting for everyone to be ready I decide to stand up and look back to see how it's coming along...… Well of course with everyone looking at my amazing Indian, I think I'm the bees knees and my head is steadily getting bigger as more folks come out to check it out and the compliments are coming in..... All of the sudden I feel the bike hit my left thigh as it starts to fall.... It seemed to take forever as I try to grab the bars to hold her up, not sure why I had let them go, but I'm sure it was so I could strike an amazing pose! lol Well after what felt like a lifetime, the bike was down on it's side, auto shutdown worked flawlessly hahaha.... After a slight pause, everyone starts clapping and laughing.... I've stepped off her and not fallen and my Brother is already off his scoot and picking mine up and putting her on the side stand. I couldn't resist and took a bow of embarrassment and several come over to shack my hand and laugh... Not at me, or at least I didn't see it that way, but with me since I could do nothing but laugh myself. Awesome ending to an awesome night with family and a story that has been told several times over the years.

As a result of this event we developed a patch called "DropZone" which was awarded to any Brother or Sister who dropped their bike at a Chapter event. One patch that was passed to the most recent "dropper", which has also been the source of many laughs through the years.

Anyway, Life is Good!

·
178 Posts
One Sunday when I was a 17 year old kid in Idaho, I picked up my girlfriend on my Honda V45 Magna and headed up to the mountains to visit some friends at their cabin. On the way up we stopped for ice cream then at the river to enjoy the scenery. We arrived at the cabin to discover they were holding Sunday catholic mass in the yard. My friend, his dad (church deacon), the preacher and a couple others walked over to welcome us and say hi.

The preacher asked us why it took so long to get there. I told them we were just strolling and enjoying the sights. Preacher says, "Oh yeah, what sights were you enjoying?" as he pointed to my boot. When I looked down at my feet, I saw that my tighty whiteys were hanging half way out of my pant leg. The girlfriend looked like she wanted to crawl under a tree.

All I could do was laugh!

·
Silver member
5,305 Posts
My fairly recent one (1.5 years or so) goes like this.

I'm at the local biker pub. It is a fairly busy day. A club ride going on plus the guys like me that stop there. So bikes galore. I go out gear-up, start the bike, slap it into first gear, and the bike dies.

All the HD guys start talking shit about my Indian.

And you guessed it, 520267. I didn't kick the sidestand up, :).

In my defense some ass hat with a glide had parked so close to me I was more worried about bumping bars when I stood it up than I was thinking about taking off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I weighed 270 at 6'1" at the time and my buddy on his bike is less than 150 soaking wet. We were chasing daylight on our way to the mountains for a weekend and knew we were going to be close and we did not want to be on I-40 in the dark. We stopped in Winston Salem for gas at one of these mega gas stops and being afternoon rush hour the place was packed and cars were lined up and waiting. After filling up my Victory Cross Roads I move out of the way for my buddy and check in with the wife to let her know how wonderful we were doing on our progress while he fills up. Only problem is in my rush I too forget the kick stand. Slow motion fall to the left while I struggle to hold her up---and I loose.So my left leg is pinned under this massive bike and I can't wiggle loose as I am caught between the crash bar in front of the bag and the floorboard.So over runs my 150 lb buddy to rescue me and he can't budge this mammoth bike while a million people are watching. He lifts it enough for me to drag my leg free and we start lifting and looking for damage.

Good thing I was 200 miles from home and a stranger never to be seen around there again.

·
Bronze member
1,341 Posts
About thirty years ago and during a move to a new house, I did the ol' "bottom out trick" on my old XS1100 Yamaha while riding it up the moving van's ramp and just getting to the top of it.

Sure is a bad feeling to suddenly stop and then realize your feet are just dangling in midair because the ramp is too narrow to place them on.

Yep, ended up upside-down with that old Yamaha on top of me.

(...not a good way to learn about proper ramp angle-to-truck bed loading procedures, ya know)

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I had recently purchased "my" first HD, a used 1989 E.G. (I say my because my first one was a '72 EG that my dad and I had years before), and was riding with my regular, much older group down to Roads of Atlanta to watch some bike racing on a Sunday. These guys were much older because I was around 32 at the time and the next oldest feller was in his middle 60's. These guys had all done their HD service years before and were on GW and Kawi Voyagers and were much more aggressive than me but fun to ride with. Anyway, we had made this trip before and sat around different places on the infield so we could see all the different corners/straights, etc. This trip, they had ridden on in while I had stopped outside to visit an old friend in the area. When I met up with them, I had to traverse a grassy area where I knew was a ditch. The ditch, in previous visits, was very small and easy to ride over. This time, I was crossing it a bit further down and wasn't expecting it to be that deep. The EG would not cross that so I stopped, sitting at about a 45 degree angle to the ditch. I put down my right foot but, yep, my left foot was A WAY from the ground where I was sitting and ploop, over she went. No damage to speak of (a small scratch on the corner of the faring) since it was in the grass but boy, was I embarrassed dropping my bike in front of all those motorcycle riders. Funny that about 15 guys ran over to help me get it upright. I thanked them and, I know I was red faced, and said I wished that had not happened but specially in front of all y'all. Each one laughed and said don't sweat it, they all had dropped their bikes at some point in riding. It was nice of them to say but it was still stinkin' embarrassing...funny now after all these years.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Any time you put your foot down only to find 1) air, 2) loose gravel, 3)oily surface or 4)mud and gravity wins.
Can't say if it is more embarrassing in front of people you know, or at an intersection when a total stranger helps you get the bike back up. All hypothetical of course.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My previous bike was a Suzuki M50. The wife and I were out riding (she has her own), we get home, and pull into the garage. I shut the bike down and start to dismount. I'm halfway through when I realize I never put the kickstand down.

Just sit back down and put the kickstand down, right? I know there's a problem, just stop. I'm thinking this while it is happening, so, stop right? Nope. I just kept right on going. The bike falls over on me.

I'm laying there pinned under the bike and all I can think while I'm laying there is "what a dumb ass, you could feel it was going to fall over and you just kept right on going". For some reason, it struck me as incredible funny at the time, so I start laughing my ass off. The wife thinks I'm screaming in pain and starts to freak out. Thankfully, it was the side without the exhaust, so there were no hot parts on me and I wasn't hurt, other than pride. What do they say about pride and a fall and goeth and the order of said events? Talk about literal.

To this day: what a dumb ass am I.

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love the stories! I’m enjoying the reads while at work.

I parked at an incline in front of my bank just doing a normal deposit. I get back to the bike and I do that balance on the kickstand turn around and I’ve done it hundreds of times before. But my dumbass was doing it on a incline without paying attention. During the spin move just to get out quicker the kickstand buckles due to math and geometry and at the time my 95lb self was doing a 5 min hold on the bike doing my best to keep it from hitting the ground. After getting the balance point back I turned around and everyone stopped their driving just for entertainment. Lol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Great thread. It just goes to show it doesn't matter how young or old, eventually something will happen to you. It may be embarrassing in the short term, but in the end everybody laughs and a memory and/ or a bond is made.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
Where do I begin? I have so many, i could write a book! When I have an afternoon to type my novella here, I will do so. Hahaha! My friends call me "The Charlie Brown of the Motorcycle World", or sometimes "Motorcycle Murphy"... as in Murphy's Law, or "Kaptain Klutz"!
SAD BUT TRUE! Lol!

·
Bronze Member
1,818 Posts
The only time that I dropped a bike in public was one year in the mid 2000's. We were at Sturgis and they had a bunch of vendors somewhere along I-90 (it might have been in Summerset?) in a place that I think they called rally park? I was riding my '96 Royal Star tour classic at the time and as I was pulling into the parking lot, I thought that I would display my riding prowess by performing a full lock left-hand U-turn into one of the parking stalls. Just as I completed the U-turn, I lost momentum and the bike slowly went over on its left side.

At that point, I realized that I was making an a$$ of myself in public and that I had to minimize the damage to what little self-esteem I had left. Without killing the bike, I kept the clutch pulled in and lifted my right leg over the bike, gently letting the bike down. I switched holding the clutch with my left hand and grabbed it with my right hand. Then I reached back with my left hand and grabbed the passenger backrest and pushed back against the bike with my rear and picked the bike back up. A couple other guys came running over to help and got there just as I put the bike on its kickstand killing the ignition. One guy looked at me and said "Mister, in my lifetime I've seen a lot of bikes dropped, but I have never seen one set down that easy and picked back up again in one fluid motion without killing the engine".

I was still embarassed, but I must have looked good doing it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
At 17 I bought a used GPz750 turbo against my dads will, he was not against motorcycles(I was riding the since I was 8) just “ crochrockets”. He said I would kill myself on it. I was proud anyway and spent the afternoon at the car wash, washing waxing and putting armor all on the tires, was coming home around turn as my dad was leaving and laid it down low speed do to armor all on side walls. My dad drove by shaking his head.

·
King of the nuts
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great thread. It just goes to show it doesn't matter how young or old, eventually something will happen to you. It may be embarrassing in the short term, but in the end everybody laughs and a memory and/ or a bond is made.
Very well put sir!

·
Bronze member
1,341 Posts
At 17 I bought a used GPz750 turbo against my dads will, he was not against motorcycles(I was riding the since I was 8) just “ crochrockets”. He said I would kill myself on it. I was proud anyway and spent the afternoon at the car wash, washing waxing and putting armor all on the tires, was coming home around turn as my dad was leaving and laid it down low speed do to armor all on side walls. My dad drove by shaking his head.
Hey Kstone, this very nice 1984 GPz750 Turbo just went for $5800.00 on BaT...

(...your story reminded me of seeing this one while perusing through BaT the other day)

·
Rider
429 Posts
Going to the grocery store about 2 months ago. A large truck was blocking an open parking spot that was slightly uphill (easy backing out) so at the last moment I made a too sharpe turn at too slow a speed and over she went. Right out in the open for everyone to see.
The one time I really really wished I wore a full face !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fast forward, the year was 2009. I was teaching high school for a short time and ridding a new 1125r Buell. Got the first scratch out of the way in the school parking lot. Put my dress shoes down into sugar sand and it was like ice. Didn’t take long for the word to get around.
The GPz750 I had was sold to a friend for $500 in 1988, also sold my pristine ‘72 charger special edition with flip headlight grill for $1000 around the same time then entered the Marine corps. The charger is still with the friend.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts