Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've followed a few threads on the alarm system and found that mine will work with the non-button remote (pushing just below the LED)... thanks to all who posted the info.

However a question or two as it doesn't seem to be covered in the handbook.

1. I can arm the alarm with the two presses on the remote, but how would you disarm it or does it auto disarm when it next senses the remote?

2. what sets the alarm off... is it vibration, moving the bike, hitting the power button whilst alarm is on or something else/all?

Had a couple of occasions (before I discovered the alarm) when I've pulled away and the horn has sounded once... scared the b'gee outta me.

·
Founding member
2,307 Posts
I'll answer in reverse order:
2. Movement (sensed by an accelerometer that is built into the microprocessor of the ECU, just like in modern cellphones) and/or pressing the power/start buttons as if someone was trying to start it up. There is a timed delay before the alarm begins to sound because,
1. You can disarm the alarm by starting (or moving the bike) while the fob is in range; or by using the PIN to power the bike on if the fob is not present. You can also silence the alarm, if activated, by doing either of these. On the bikes equipped with the two-button fob, you can also disarm the alarm by pressing the bag unlock button (either on the fob or on the tank).

If you're getting a honk while pulling away after the bike is started it's probably due to the battery in the fob beginning to get weak and needing replacement. The bike will communicate with the fob upon power-up and a couple times in the next minute or so (to make sure your fob is present and someone isn't riding off without the fob).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep, my fob had a low battery last week. It never honked but I could see the security indicator being displayed. Took the fob out of my pocket and it was able to communicate. While I was replacing the battery, the next day, I added a button to be able to easily set the alarm. It automatically disengages when you get within range with the fob.

·
Rider
792 Posts
It disarms by just walking with in range? The reason I ask is today I had to go back to the bike to get something out of the windshield bag. I was wondering if it stays armed. I pushed the button twice and nothing happened. I just powered up and down, then set the alarm.

·
Founding member
2,307 Posts
It disarms by just walking with in range? The reason I ask is today I had to go back to the bike to get something out of the windshield bag. I was wondering if it stays armed. I pushed the button twice and nothing happened. I just powered up and down, then set the alarm.
No, it will not disarm by just walking in range. You must be in range and either press a button or move the bike. These actions cause the bike to "ping" a signal looking for the fob - if a fob is in range, it will disarm (like when you are starting the bike); if a fob is not found, the alarm will sound. The bike won't be searching for the fob unless something is done to the bike and the fob will not send a signal to the bike unless it receives a "ping" from the bike; so if no action, the bike won't know if the fob has been brought within range.

·
Rider
792 Posts
No, it will not disarm by just walking in range. You must be in range and either press a button or move the bike. These actions cause the bike to "ping" a signal looking for the fob - if a fob is in range, it will disarm (like when you are starting the bike); if a fob is not found, the alarm will sound. The bike won't be searching for the fob unless something is done to the bike and the fob will not send a signal to the bike unless it receives a "ping" from the bike; so if no action, the bike won't know if the fob has been brought within range.
Thank you. Exactly the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Alarm overview. I think by now everyone knows how to turn their basic (no button) key fob into a multi-function key fob in order to use the alarm.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts