Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

More LED lights on the back of my Chieftain

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Wharf Rat 
#1 · (Edited)
I previously posted a thread asking how difficult it was to remove the tail light assembly. The reason I asked was because of my plan to convert the yellow turn signals on my 2015 Chieftain to red driving and brake lights. So now, with CD’s plug-and-play Triple Play module, I am much more visible while cruising and braking. There are 9 different choices of flashing/solid/repeat or strobe/solid/repeat. Here is the final product with the bike off and when running (driving lights):

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Red Vehicle

Helmet Slot machine Machine Automotive lighting Games

See less See more
#4 ·
It wasn’t bad at all. And yes, my nephew could get his hand between the fender and tire. The best tip I can give anyone who is considering the project is to have two people. I held the assembly unit while my nephew loosened the three bolts (they weren’t very tight). My holding the assembly lessened the chance of scratching the paint. Once the bolts were out, I pulled the assembly away from the fender while my nephew cut the zip ties keeping the extra wiring in place. He then disconnected the four wire junctions and I pulled the assembly unit away from the bike. He removed the yellow turn signals and replaced them with the red ones. We then reversed the process and the new turn signals were installed. I need to mention that my nephew is a mechanic. Had it been just my wife and I, I’m sure this post would be a whole lot different!

#6 ·
One more thing, as you can in Wharf Rat’s pictures, the hole in the fender for the wiring to pass through is larger than the wiring tube. After we reinstalled the tail light assembly, my nephew filled in the extra space around the wiring tube with silicone. While swapping out the turn signals, we noticed dirt/mud dried on the back of the assembly unit caused by the tire spraying water and kicking up dust when riding.

#7 ·
OOOH ,, I like the set up and the ability for flashing etc...... Does this need anyother wiring execept to simply plug and play at the rear light location? Jst pull the light assembly, replace the turn-signals lights and plug-in?

Also, who is the Supplier? where do I buy them?

thanks

#8 · (Edited)
Custom Dynamics - they have several videos on their website explaining each of their products. The plug-and-play takes place under the seat. It’s very simple. So simple that I did that part of the installation! Again, they have videos explaining/showing each step of the operation - under the seat and back at the tail light assembly. You need to order the “Triple Play Module“ plug-and-play wiring harness. We called the company and the support staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. For whatever reason, the instruction sheet is for a HD. You simply need to reverse the switches when setting the desired flash/solid/repeat or strobe/solid/repeat option. They walked my nephew and I through it over the phone. So you plug-and-play under the seat, you swap out the turn signals on the taillight assembly, and then set the flash or strobe function of your choice.

#9 · (Edited)
The photos I posted are of the older version taillights from Custom Dynamics. These had to be spliced into the wiring harness. The new ones have plugs.

Here are the older models -- smoked lens.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.