Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 scout sixty from the dealer last month. Went out of town and didn't ride it for 7 days and the battery is dead. This seems very unusual for a brand new (from the dealer) bike. I've had bikes sit for months without the battery dieing on me.

Also, big question... The battery tender jack on the bike from the dealer is different than my standard battery tender. Where do I find an adapter for it to fit my tenders??

·
Registered
113 Posts
As to where to find an adapter. If you live in Northern VA or DC, I purchased mine at Coleman Power Sports in Fairfax, VA.

Unfortunately, I live in a condo with underground parking. So, the time on the tender is limited. When winter comes along, I'll remove the battery and use the tender in my condo.

·
Silver member
3,602 Posts
tender jack on the bike from the dealer is different than my standard
That's a dealer add on (not Indian) so we can't really answer without seeing a picture or something. I would think the dealer could help.

Re the battery, could it possibly be sketchy connections or some other charging issue? Again your dealer should handle this as a warranty claim. I have both a 2016 and 2017 Scout 60 and the batteries have been strong, even after sitting for a few weeks or more in the winter.

·
Read Only
298 Posts
IMHO
Take it back to the dealer. have him add on the battery tender jack... you don't want an off brand because you may need to hook it up on the road.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
Short trips do not build the battery up to pre start voltage. However, first check the battery connections. Sometimes they are loose from the get go and sometimes they work loose over time. Since the tender pig tail is a dealer add on, I would check connections. The bike will start, run and operate fine one day and act like a dead battery the next.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Check Amazon.com for a tender that matches your connector. More than likely it'll be a common connector like the one use on the brand Battery Tender.
As for the battery going flat...you also don't know how long that battery has been sitting in the bike at the factory or how long that battery sat in the factory waiting for a bike. That said, it should not have gone flat in a week's time. Batteries can go bad or have flaws. That's why there are warranties.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
My experience is this is a "standard" battery tender plug on the bike, it this what yours looks like? If not, what brand of battery tender do you use?

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
2017 scout sixty from the dealer last month. Went out of town and didn't ride it for 7 days and the battery is dead. This seems very unusual for a brand new (from the dealer) bike. I've had bikes sit for months without the battery dieing on me.
I was at my Indian dealer last week, they had 3 bikes on the show room floor hooked up to battery tenders. I pointed to the bikes and asked the Service Manager "what's up" and he said they get turned on, started and off and the batteries never get fully charged, therefore the reason for the battery tenders. Just as @Some guy named Steve pointed out. Also, when I was a kid I worked for a parts store, you probably would be surprised how many new batteries came back bad.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I have seen several threads where folks mentioned their stock Scout battery went dead soon after purchase. It seems that every one I recall the dealer replaced the battery under warranty.

Can you post a pic of your battery tender connection on the bike? The one pictured above in post #8 (on the left end of the wire) is the standard. I'm wondering if you're not looking at a different kind of connector other than battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts