Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Is a mono shock design in the Scout's future
or
is this just a rumor?
I think it's either a rumor, or a misunderstanding, most likely, the later.
I can't think of anyway a mono shock, with its necessary linkages could fit on the Scout. I see no room for it. It's much more likely that what's been heard, is a mono tube style shock is the actuality

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Is a mono shock design in the Scout's future
or
is this just a rumor?
I don't know about a mono shock, but SOMETHING has to be done.
My Scout had the worst rear suspension of any bike I ever owned.... even my '57 Harley with no rear shock.
It had a spring loaded seat post that absorbed more than the OEM shocks on my Scout and rode 100% better.

·
10,006 Posts
The OEM Scout rear shocks were pathetic. Aftermarket shocks have been on the market for the Scout for some time now. I believe the newer 2017 & 2018 Scouts have better shocks than what was previously fitted. You could always upgrade your rear shocks and maybe even go with a sprung saddle.
I spent almost $900.00 on rear shocks on the scout and even some on the front suspension with almost zero improvement.
I have a VERY LONG list of new bikes that I have bought new or owned used, and I have NEVER had to replace the OEM shocks on a single one of them to get a good OEM ride that didn't near destroy my back and tail bone like the Scout.

·
10,006 Posts
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers Ronnie. I can understand how frustrating it must be for you. Maybe the Scout wasn't anywhere near what you needed in a motorcycle. There are definitely better choices out there in regards to suspension compliance and comfort.
Oh, you didn't in any manner! :)
Just frustration talking! :(

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to find the pics I saw of a Scout build using mono shock set up - any body have some?
The new Triumphs and HD's are all sporting mono shocks.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The FTR 1200 has a mono.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The FTR 750 has a mono.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So by extension - I think Polaris Indian - IMO - would by wise to move all the scouts in this same direction - the mono shocks have handled wonderfully on all my big gold wings and my HD Sport Glide.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's either a rumor, or a misunderstanding, most likely, the later.
I can't think of anyway a mono shock, with its necessary linkages could fit on the Scout. I see no room for it. It's much more likely that what's been heard, is a mono tube style shock is the actuality
@Hatt - see pics - of the tube framed scouts Tat2ace left us.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I'm confused.. the FTR was always coming with a linked mono shock... so, what's the rumor? I didn't realize we were talking about the FTR.....I thought the rumor was pertaining to the Scout.
And yes, a mono link shock is far superior..

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think the styling gurus at Indian looked at this vintage hardtail triangle thing and laid the shocks down too far to be very effective. Couple that with short suspension travel to get the low seat height and the suspension got seriously compromised.
They prolly also figured we would either be a beginner and happy with stock, a hot rodder and add hooligan long-travels, or old school and add rigid struts.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused.. the FTR was always coming with a linked mono shock... so, what's the rumor? I didn't realize we were talking about the FTR.....I thought the rumor was pertaining to the Scout.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Looking at the way HD and Triumph are incorporating a very effective monoshock into a frame that looks hard tail is a sign of things to come if Polaris Indian wants to compete. IMO of course.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As far as I can tell, neither the FTR750 or the FTR1200 has a "linked" monoshock. They have a simple non-linked monoshock similar to the early Yamaha monoshock MX bikes. To achieve the best rear suspension performance one does need to incorporate a rising rate linkage into the design.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
As far as I can tell, neither the FTR750 or the FTR1200 has a "linked" monoshock. They have a simple non-linked monoshock similar to the early Yamaha monoshock MX bikes. To achieve the best rear suspension performance one does need to incorporate a rising rate linkage into the design.
If that's true, I'm very disappointed.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
One of the Reasons finally Traded my Scout in for the Chieftain Dark Horse although took a hell of a loss even after spending Big Bucks on Suspension Improvements , while better no question, still rode like a Lumber Wagon .. Whether a Mono Shock is just Rumor or Fact would be a Fine Improvement ..

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I spent almost $900.00 on rear shocks on the scout and even some on the front suspension with almost zero improvement.
I have a VERY LONG list of new bikes that I have bought new or owned used, and I have NEVER had to replace the OEM shocks on a single one of them to get a good OEM ride that didn't near destroy my back and tail bone like the Scout.
Well, I've replaced the rear shocks on most bikes I've owned, at least relatively early in their life span. But to be fair, I don't think any bike I've owned needed it as bad as the Scout. I will say that the mods I've done did make a substantial difference.

With regard to the FTR pics posted, the FTR750 is a $50K race bike, and the FTR1200 concept bike is just that: a one-off custom built market feeler.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts