Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say you had a fair quantity of cash to spend at the Indian dealership. It’s my birthday and I have a referral gift card. What’s the best bang for your buck goodies on a 19 rm? Stage one, stage two? Stage 3 bbk? Maybe some other option that I have completely overlooked?

·
Bronze member
2,322 Posts
Bang for buck at a Indian Dealership..... On a '19 RM... Huh... That's an interesting equation... Let me think out loud....

With the Stage 1 air cleaner and slipons - along with a Fuel Moto PV3 (mandatory, not optional) - you can go directly to 80+hp / 110 Trq at the rear wheel. BUT, the same can be done with just a S&S (or similar) air cleaner, punched plugs, and of course the FM PV3.. The change in the power curves provides credence to rider reports that this mod combo creates "a whole new bike" power-wise.... NOTE: The lndian Stage 1 (with the Indian Stage 1 tune) does not make any significant power increases - As Polaris admitted, it's just for making more noise..

If using a PV3 to flash performance tunes, onto your '19 RM, is not an option, the Indian Stage II package does create noticeable power increases - along with a saweet lumpy idle..

If the dealership will sell you "aftermarket" components, you could go directly to "wild" performance recipes:
Venom Plenum w it's optional 60mm throttle body, Lloydz 585 cams (which your '19 is ready for), punched plugs on the stock slipons OR the Indian Stage I slipons, a Fuel Moto PV3 with the FM ARTS (Advanced Remote Tuning Service). With a WOT AFR of 12.6 : 1 and a mild increase in ignition advance (only at WOT), expect well over 100 hp / 125 Trq AND a very wild ride... If they are "cool" the dealership will install everything (but will not be able to tune with the PV3)..

Ok, brain's tired... And I have to type on the guards' laptop through the bars..

Just kidding....

My brain wasn't tired..

Reactions: Cameroni79

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is exactly the kind of thought process I was looking for. So a stage 1 setup and a real tune might just be the ticket.

Bang for buck at a Indian Dealership..... On a '19 RM... Huh... That's an interesting equation... Let me think out loud....

With the Stage 1 air cleaner and slipons - along with a Fuel Moto PV3 (mandatory, not optional) - you can go directly to 80+hp / 110 Trq at the rear wheel. BUT, the same can be done with just a S&S (or similar) air cleaner, punched plugs, and of course the FM PV3.. The change in the power curves provides credence to rider reports that this mod combo creates "a whole new bike" power-wise.... NOTE: The lndian Stage 1 (with the Indian Stage 1 tune) does not make any significant power increases - As Polaris admitted, it's just for making more noise..

If using a PV3 to flash performance tunes, onto your '19 RM, is not an option, the Indian Stage II package does create noticeable power increases - along with a saweet lumpy idle..

If the dealership will sell you "aftermarket" components, you could go directly to "wild" performance recipes:
Venom Plenum w it's optional 60mm throttle body, Lloydz 585 cams (which your '19 is ready for), punched plugs on the stock slipons OR the Indian Stage I slipons, a Fuel Moto PV3 with the FM ARTS (Advanced Remote Tuning Service). With a WOT AFR of 12.6 : 1 and a mild increase in ignition advance (only at WOT), expect well over 100 hp / 125 Trq AND a very wild ride... If they are "cool" the dealership will install everything (but will not be able to tune with the PV3)..

Ok, brain's tired... And I have to type on the guards' laptop through the bars..

Just kidding....
My brain wasn't tired..

·
Bronze member
2,322 Posts
This is exactly the kind of thought process I was looking for. So a stage 1 setup and a real tune might just be the ticket.
Well yes, but there is, at present, very few ways to get a "real tune" on an Indian Stage 1 package. If you don't live close to the one of the few PV3 capable tuning shops (which are mostly in Wisconsin) a Fuel Moto PV3 is the only way to do it - and do it cost effectively..

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck... I’d have expected a pretty good canned tuna from fuel moto would have been readily available for the Indian junk. That puts me back to my original dilemma, if I buy aftermarket goodies like lloyd’z, what do I do with Indian money?

Well yes, but there is, at present, very few ways to get a "real tune" on an Indian Stage 1 package. If you don't live close to the one of the few PV3 capable tuning shops (which are mostly in Wisconsin) a Fuel Moto PV3 is the only way to do it - and do it cost effectively..

·
Bronze member
1,831 Posts
Sorry, but in my opinion "Bang for your Buck" & Indian pricing don't necessarily go hand in hand.

·
Bronze member
2,322 Posts
Fuel Moto does have good canned tuna !

With standard Indian Stage I on your bike, just go out and flash-up the appropriate FM tuna..

Don't get this stuff all confused - when you mod "outside the envelope of available FM canned tuna", like using Lloydz 585's, you gotta use FM ARTS..

You need to talk to the can'r of the FM tuna - @CraigB1960 ...

Hey Craig... help this guy out, aye ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes indeed, but when you’ve only got the option to spend it at the dealership, what else are you going to do?

Sorry, but in my opinion "Bang for your Buck" & Indian pricing don't necessarily go hand in hand.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lovely! That’s great to know. Anyone heard the stage one pipes? Are they decent sounding or weak like the stockers?

Stage one with canned tuna is looking like a cheap and desirable path.

Fuel Moto does have good canned tuna !

With standard Indian Stage I on your bike, just go out and flash-up the appropriate FM tuna..

Don't get this stuff all confused - when you mod "outside the envelope of available FM canned tuna", like using Lloydz 585's, you gotta use FM ARTS..

You need to talk to the can'r of the FM tuna - @CraigB1960 ...

Hey Craig... help this guy out, aye ?

·
Bronze member
1,831 Posts
Yes indeed, but when you’ve only got the option to spend it at the dealership, what else are you going to do?
No worries, If I had a $250 credit, hmmm. I'd probably nab some riding gloves, maybe some swag for me and my lady. Then call it a day. Have fun, cheers.

·
Bronze member
2,322 Posts
Oh, hey.. @Flashman raised a good point.. There is a great "bang for buck" decathlon you can run. And you can run it best while "packing" Indian Stage I slipons and FM canned tuna - It's the Rhinehart "slim line" header.. Once you're slim lined, and slipped into stage I mufflers, you're absolutely DONE with exhaust - no matter what thunderbolt-grease-slapper you might build your engine into some day..

P.S. Seriously ..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lovely! That’s great to know. Anyone heard the stage one pipes? Are they decent sounding or weak like the stockers?
I had stage 1 done to my Roadmaster at the dealer when I bought it. I knew the first clutch release when I took off outta there that the stage 1s were not gonna cut it. Not loud enough for me. So I went and got Tabs with Zombies. Now those I like.

I think the stage 1s have an ok low sound, but you can only really hear it on a cold start, and when you rap the throttle or are accelerating quickly. Otherwise, not loud enough for me. Exhaust sound is different for everyone, and those were just woefully inadequate.

I did make a video after my first 1000 miles on my RM. Maybe you have seen it around, but I did similar comparison with the Stage 1s and the Zombies. Here's a link, time stamps in the description to ff to it. Just on my phone, so FWIW audio and sound-wise.

And now I have 2 stage 1 slip ons with no tips that are just taking up unnecessary space in my garage lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know how much money you have (or had) to spend, but it's kind of a moot point. You're gonna have to go stage 1 first regardless of what else you do from there, whether it's just stage 2 cams or the BBK. Stage 1, whether the parts are from Indian or aftermarket, is gonna net you about the same performance gains. But everyone is right; whatever you do, to make the most of it, you're gonna need a PV3.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have 250 from an Indian referral, and another 500 in birthday money that all has to be spent at Indian. I also just snaked a set of stage one pipes with 6 shooter tips for an unbelievable price. So it looks like the decision is made. Stage one air cleaner.

I don't know how much money you have (or had) to spend, but it's kind of a moot point. You're gonna have to go stage 1 first regardless of what else you do from there, whether it's just stage 2 cams or the BBK. Stage 1, whether the parts are from Indian or aftermarket, is gonna net you about the same performance gains. But everyone is right; whatever you do, to make the most of it, you're gonna need a PV3.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Stage 2 cam and airfilter, remove cat from stock exhaust, Fuelmoto and a backrest. Thats what I did and I am VERY happy with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts