Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Indian riders,
Has anyone other than me having issues with moisture in the fuel gauge, I own a 2016 Vintage, about a month ago I got caught is the rain, I ride home, towel dried the bike, the next morning I was riding an noticed my fuel gauge was not working and loaded with moisture. I contacted the dealer in Highland Park, Il, very nice people there, they squeezed me in and replaced the fuel gauge, Yesterday I go caught in the rain and this morning I have moisture in the fuel gauge, I contacted Indian customer support and obviously talked to a person who does not know the product, her advice to me was to try to avoid riding in the rain, can you believe that! There is something going on with the fuel gauges, at the time of the first replacement, the dealer said he has plenty in stock, I was surprised My roadking fuel gauge lasted over 11 years until I traded it on the Indian. please let me know if anyone else is having fuel gauge issues.
Ed

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,222 Posts
Try to avoid riding in the rain, damn that's funny! And really sad

·
Registered
395 Posts
Had my original one replaced, no problem with the new one, and I've been in some long hard rains. Good luck...don't give up, get it replaced again. I'm also on my 3rd windshield...finally not cracking. All issues handled through warranty.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hmm, been through a few storms here lately and my gauge looked a bit foggy coming home today. I thought it was just some road crud on the glass, but nowI think I'd better check.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
I went through a fuel gauge on my '16 Vintage for the same reason, got it replaced. Replaced bike with a '17 Vintage, haven't had problem as of yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello fellow Indian riders,
Has anyone other than me having issues with moisture in the fuel gauge, I own a 2016 Vintage, about a month ago I got caught is the rain, I ride home, towel dried the bike, the next morning I was riding an noticed my fuel gauge was not working and loaded with moisture. I contacted the dealer in Highland Park, Il, very nice people there, they squeezed me in and replaced the fuel gauge, Yesterday I go caught in the rain and this morning I have moisture in the fuel gauge, I contacted Indian customer support and obviously talked to a person who does not know the product, her advice to me was to try to avoid riding in the rain, can you believe that! There is something going on with the fuel gauges, at the time of the first replacement, the dealer said he has plenty in stock, I was surprised My roadking fuel gauge lasted over 11 years until I traded it on the Indian. please let me know if anyone else is having fuel gauge issues.
Ed
My 2017 Springfield developed the same problem last week. I haven't called the dealer yet I was hoping it would clear up. But it looks like I'll have to go in. I hate it because it's 60 miles to the dealer. My Victory is 12 years old without any problems.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
I just think there was a bad batch of fuel gauges. I haven't had an issue with my '17 in nearly 2 years. The needle faded which I thought was funny that would happen on a garage kept bike.

·
Bronze member
2,819 Posts
I think there’s a ( well hidden) service bulletin
Regarding the fuel gauge failure, I will try to find the details and post them.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I find that hilarious in 86 I bought my first new Electra Glide with the same issue on a couple of gauges. I brought it back to the dealer and showed them. Typical Harley answer “ YEAH THEY WILL DO THAT” LOL I said no shit there not supposed to !

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Is this happening on 18 models or just 17 and back? Definitely something to watch out for on my bike though. Most of my Harleys had that issue after a few years.

Bubba

·
Registered
610 Posts
I find that hilarious in 86 I bought my first new Electra Glide with the same issue on a couple of gauges. I brought it back to the dealer and showed them. Typical Harley answer “ YEAH THEY WILL DO THAT” LOL I said no shit there not supposed to !
I had the same issue with condensation in the fuel gauge of my 2017 Road King. Harley replaced it under warranty on the day before my 2 year warranty was to expire. No hassle, they just replaced it. That was 3 months ago and so far no more condensation. On my 2014 Indian Vintage, the gas gauge needle faded to white although the speedometer needle which was also red was still as bright red as when new. Indian replaced the gas gauge under warranty although the Service Manager had to but down that the gauge was not working. Three months later the gas gauge needle was fading again.

·
Bronze member
2,819 Posts
I think there’s a ( well hidden) service bulletin
Regarding the fuel gauge failure, I will try to find the details and post them.
The service bulletin for the fuel gauge is
I’15’02A - for inspection
I’15’02B- for replace
But I think this is for gauge failures and not seal failure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts