Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit here anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Scout the thought of a throatier exhaust note makes me happy. As most already know, a common mod on the larger air cooled Indians is to punch out the exhaust plugs which allegedly results in a lower toned exhaust, slightly more performance? and better fuel economy. All this without refllashing the computer. The Scout has three fasteners on the exhaust end cap that just begs to be explored further. If anyone who is lucky enough to have their Scout and has explored any of this, please let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I haven't but now you have my curiosity going. :D

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
DSC00904.JPG DSC00905.JPG
Looks like the black ends are just decorative

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,070 Posts
I've been wondering this also. I wonder if drillng a few holes would give that extra sound, and save the 800 plus for the stage 1?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Guess I could have gotten a better shot of down the tube
I've been wondering this also. I wonder if drillng a few holes would give that extra sound, and save the 800 plus for the stage 1?
Try it and let us know :rolleyes:

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I'm confused when I read about changing out the pipes so soon. I don't see the need replace new exhaust pipes because they aren't loud enough. The noise level will increase anyway as more hours are put on the bike. I just can't see spending a grand to replace something that's brand new. There will be plenty of money spent to keep up the repair and maintenance of the machine anyway. Then the same person will raise hell about the expense to maintain the bike. Just my opinion not trying to convince anyone.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
While have an interest here in what some find .. Pretty Sure will wait for a good 2:1 With the Right Sound and Looks to make me feel the Money may be worth it .. The Factory Stage 1 just does not do it for me ..

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm confused when I read about changing out the pipes so soon. I don't see the need replace new exhaust pipes because they aren't loud enough. The noise level will increase anyway as more hours are put on the bike. I just can't see spending a grand to replace something that's brand new. There will be plenty of money spent to keep up the repair and maintenance of the machine anyway. Then the same person will raise hell about the expense to maintain the bike. Just my opinion not trying to convince anyone.
Its more about the looks than the sound to me, look like to big cannons sticking out back. Will go for a swept exhaust if I every get the bike.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
For me when the dyno results are in will be change time if any.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,752 Posts
I can see all sides of this. More power, better sound, better fuel economy and also why replace what works?
I've decided to spend money on new gadgets instead of replacing working components such as exhaust and intakes.
I've also decided to get a Scout in the future and I'm thinking that it will be my hotrod and the Chieftain my nice, quiet, comfy cruiser...

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
As most already know, a common mod on the larger air cooled Indians is to punch out the exhaust plugs which allegedly results in a lower toned exhaust, slightly more performance? and better fuel economy. All this without refllashing the computer.
I will be the first to admit that I have done this to a lot more than one of my bikes in the past.

Some of the questions I've heard in the past. "How many holes?", "How big should they be?", "Should I just go through the first baffle or should I go through the second baffle too?"

Everyone should know up front that any mod's to the intake or the exhaust systems on ANY bike is making changes to the very delicate balance of the intake and exhaust of an original setup of both carburetor and injected bikes selected after maybe as many as hundreds of factory dyno tests.

As far as most experts claim, none of these user modifications can be marked down in the "good for the bike" column without making computer changes or re-jetting carburetors after you have altered the original equipment by replacement or modifications!
Once you make that first step to compensate for modifications you need to find a good person to start running dyno tests!

Without it your just shooting a shotgun in the dark. (Making a lot of noise without knowing if your hitting your target!)

Opening up the exhaust without compensating the carb's or computers in nearly every application results in deceleration 'popping' or 'backfiring' usually resulting in poorer performance, worse gas mileage and mixed emotions on the sound!

Popping and backfiring on deceleration is very detrimental to the engine.

In my opinion from being there more than once, I would suggest unless you are prepared to go all the way with any intake or exhaust modifications, I wouldn't do it again, knowing what I know now!

Remember some of these mod's if found out will/could void that warranty we all like!

For now go with the factory kits or wait a while and people like Cobra will come up with Dyno tested pipes and computer chips that will have the correct exhaust backpressure and intake balances that will work on the Scout.

And in all likelihood sound MUCH better than drilling out your brand new exhausts! :D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Fuel injection and computers can't be a hit and miss. That blip at the traffic light that some riders like could be the death of an engine on that long ride. Knocking the plugs out of a factory pipe may sound better and give a psychological speed boost but when run on a dyno shows the engine is worse off.
Manufacturers need to meet strict EPA guidelines so you can bet that the factory setup meets that criteria. The reason engines are Stage mapped is to meet the new engine requirements you introduced with changes to intake and/or exhaust. Change the air in you have to give it a place to go- change the air out. When you buy Vance & Hines products they can tell you the mapping changes because they have tested them. All this will come pretty quick for the Scout.
One of the problems Harley has had is that the intake and exhaust noise can be on one side of the bike. When they do a noise check the bike can be too loud. The use of exhaust pipes from the manufacturer with a crossover pipe came from this. It balances the pressure wave.
The Scout with the intake under the tank will sound different when it is opened up.
A year from now when you look in this forum you'll see a number of regrets for not waiting for the choice that works.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
With great hope and a T30 bit I approached the muffler. Alas, the baffle is welded behind the black tip. Fuckers. I could easily take a grinder to it, but with no backup plan, I dunno.

The plan is to wait until someone comes out with acceptable aftermarket slip-ons or better yet, a 2-into-1 full system, as well as a new A/C, then let competent shop reflash and dyno. I will THEN take said grinder to stock mufflers and perform some scientific experiments.

IMG_20141225_145813.jpg
IMG_20141225_151108.jpg

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With great hope and a T30 bit I approached the muffler. Alas, the baffle is welded behind the black tip. Fuckers. I could easily take a grinder to it, but with no backup plan, I dunno.

The plan is to wait until someone comes out with acceptable aftermarket slip-ons or better yet, a 2-into-1 full system, as well as a new A/C, then let competent shop reflash and dyno. I will THEN take said grinder to stock mufflers and perform some scientific experiments.

View attachment 4431 View attachment 4432
Just think. With that black plate off some semblance of a fish tail could screwed right on.;)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

View attachment 4431 View attachment 4432
The black covers look better on the standard mufflers

·
Registered
430 Posts
Didn't want to highjack the Bassani thread, so here's the appropriate thread...

Anyone thought of just doing the Stage 1 download from Indian and doing small slip-ons like these? Few things, does anyone know the diameter of the stock pipe? Do you think with the stock header that we'd still be running too lean? Does anyone think they would be too loud for your neighborhood?

Biltwell Mini Mufflers

Reactions: thekid
1 - 20 of 75 Posts