Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chieftain is the first throttle by wire fuel injected fancy pants bike I'll own so I wonder to myself....self is there a petcock to trip over to my reserve.....seems like a valid question but then I think I've never had a bike with a working fuel gauge for that matter just the cough sputter and flip the switch. So I downloaded the 2014 Owners manual and answered my question. Pg 125 in the specifications chart it says the tank is 5.5 gallons and the FUEL LIGHT comes on at 1,o gallons left in the tank. So the reserve is a light and should my fancy pants electronic dodad go out for some reason there is a taletell way to know how much fuel is left. Directions might help for this complex task: 1) Turn off your scooter. 2) Straddle the seat with your legs while standing firmly on the ground. 3) Place hands on handlebars firmly. 4) Shake that bad boy side to side while lowering your head to confirm the splish splash. 4) Do this with some frequency to perfect your audiological skills. Best of luck monitoring the air temperature and tire pressure radio station. Got to love modern man. Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
FYI I have chieftain and have been pushing how many miles to panic. The other day the light came on and if knew I had 48 miles home.... I started to panic when the gauge wouldn't move any lower but when I filled it up I still hade .8 gals left so it appears all the indicators are to tell us plenty of time before we run out.... I admit it was nice with my triumphs to reset odometer and then when I run out look at mileage as I turn to reserve....indian assumes we don't push it to that point....

·
Founding member
564 Posts
When you put your head down and shake it side to side, could you record that and put it on youtube. With an 800 pound bike, I'd like to watch that.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
FYI I have chieftain and have been pushing how many miles to panic. The other day the light came on and if knew I had 48 miles home.... I started to panic when the gauge wouldn't move any lower but when I filled it up I still hade .8 gals left so it appears all the indicators are to tell us plenty of time before we run out.... I admit it was nice with my triumphs to reset odometer and then when I run out look at mileage as I turn to reserve....indian assumes we don't push it to that point....
Only had it come on once but I was on the hiway in traffic. just took the next exit cause I did not want to find out. I probably could have got the 20 km home.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So you're saying no petcock?

How does that work for storing the bike?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It's fuel injected....there has to be a constant supply of gas or you'd have to re-prime the pump / system. There's a procedure for doing this in our owner's manuals...at least in the Roadmaster Manual. So...that means no petcock to interrupt the flow of fuel.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
So you're saying no petcock?

How does that work for storing the bike?
The petcock is right next to there kick starter.

my damn cell phone

Reactions: Dirtygss

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well, I live in the middle of no where... everything is a far distance.. many towns don't have gas stations.. unless you have the local coop card..

I watch for the idiot light most of the times.. And have yet to put more then 3.5 gallons in right after the light comes on.. and the most I have ever put in is 4.6 gallons.. so I'm thinking I still had a gallon seeing how it says 5.5 gallons..

My Victory's gas gauge went south after 6 yrs.. and they wanted over $350 to fix it.. I felt that was money better spent on performance parts, dancing ladies or single moms trying to make a living.. I learnt to carry a gatoraid bottle of gas when I rode to the east coast or texas.. (cops hate gas cans on motorcycles.. but they never question gatoraid bottles) I just hope my Indian doesn't have a gas gauge issue after 5 yrs.. ?

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,808 Posts
That's the one thing that concerns me on modern bikes is all the electronic gizmos. A darn large solar flare might make these bikes nothing more than paper weights.[stop]

Reactions: DanielJ

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have never has any issues with any fuel injected bike with concerns to the low fuel light.
For the first few times when the light comes on, try and fill right away to see how much gas it actually will take. If you know you are getting 35-40mpg regularly then you know about how you can go before you run out. I always err on the side of caution and lower what I think I can go by 10 miles just to be safe.

Know your bike and it's mileage, that way you hopefully won't have any tales of gasoline woes.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
One irritating thing is when your getting low and your magic gas light goes on, the remaining miles indicator goes away and says your low on gas. Hell ! I know I am low but how many miles are left? [shifty]

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had the Low Fuel light a few times. I start to panic when I'm going uphill and the fuel gauge reads zero. Then I go over the top of the hill and the gauge shows some fuel going downhill.PHEW! Same problem with on/off the sidestand, the gauge reads much lower on the sidestand than straight up. I always reset my trip meter to zero when I fill up. Then when the light comes on and the "remaining miles" just says LO FUEL, I still have some idea how far I can go.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
One irritating thing is when your getting low and your magic gas light goes on, the remaining miles indicator goes away and says your low on gas. Hell ! I know I am low but how many miles are left? [shifty]
I hope Indian is reading this and takes note..

Picture of V92c that Almost made it to the gas pump on a 3,500 mile ride..

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts