Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been absolutely curious since the day I bought my Bobber on what she would look like with a short slash style exhaust. Months of blaten curiosity finally came to a culmination.

This will be a series of posts as I continue to go through this until she is done or needs to be scrapped and aftermarket ones bought.

And before you all say " why didnt you just buy a set of slip ons", I am attempting to keep with the built not bought heritage of the bobber culture.

I snatched my stock slip ons off my bike and drove up to a buddies house and we chatted for a bit. He not being a bike guy but rather a car guy still had some knowledge and at minimum a helping hand. We dawned a few power tools and a roll of pin stripe tap and we started playing around with angles until I found what I liked.

Then the moment of truth.
I made the first cut.
No turning back now.

This was just the first step, the second a bit of welding to fill some gaps, the third paint.

Mind you I did this not knowing how the inner structure of these pipes where constructed. So this was a well educated guess. All I know is I wanted to not cut into the cats ( just so it wasnt to " straight piped " )

I will try and keep photos coming and if anyone else is interested I can see if I can work up a sketch on how the factory pipes are from the inside.

No I have not fired her up yet to see how she sounds. I started this at 7 PM and it's now 11pm after the hour drive home from my buddies house. But I will be cranking her over tomorrow for sure ! And hopefully riding her back to my buddies for the welding work.

I am attaching just one photo this evening. If there is interested I will take more as I go on.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire

·
Bronze member
2018 Scout Bobber and Scout 60
1,272 Posts
I have been absolutely curious since the day I bought my Bobber on what she would look like with a short slash style exhaust. Months of research and and blaten curiosity finally came to a culmination.

This will be a series of posts as I continue to go through this until she is done or needs to be scrapped and aftermarket ones bought.

And before you all say " why didnt you just buy a set of slip ons", I am attempting to keep with the built not bought heritage of the bobber culture.

I snatched my stock slip ons off my bike and drove up to a buddies house and we chatted for a bit. He not being a bike guy but rather a car guy still had some knowledge and at minimum a helping hand. We dawned a few power tools and a roll of pin stripe tap and we started playing around with angles until I found what I liked.

Then the moment of truth.
I made the first cut.
No turning back now.

This was just the first step, the second a bit of welding to fill some gaps, the third paint.

Mind you I did this not knowing how the inner structure of these pipes where constructed. So this was a well educated guess. All I know is I wanted to not cut into the cats ( just so it wasnt to " straight piped " )

I will try and keep photos coming and if anyone else is interested I can see if I can work up a sketch on how the factory pipes are from the inside.

No I have not fired her up yet to see how she sounds. I started this at 7 PM and it's now 11pm after the hour drive home from my buddies house. But I will be cranking her over tomorrow for sure ! And hopefully riding her back to my buddies for the welding work.

I am attaching just one photo this evening. If there is interested I will take more as I go on. View attachment 490184
That’s pretty badass. Is the bottom muffler shorter than the top or is it just the angle the photo was taken? Nicely done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sound clips on both sets of modded pipes would be awesome!

Reactions: Tank

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I like the process and your initiative! They look pretty custom to me. I think much of the aftermarket stuff is overpriced for what you get and you will end up with a unique build with your own design and modifications. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
863 Posts
That’s pretty badass. Is the bottom muffler shorter than the top or is it just the angle the photo was taken? Nicely done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering that too. I didn’t see a response from the OP. One being shorter makes me wonder about the overall effect to the bikes tune.

·
Rider
1,408 Posts
If anyone wants to know about sound, watch my 3 videos above....

·
Registered
582 Posts
If anyone wants to know about sound, watch my 3 videos above....
Curious if the “process.” Did you just cut off the unwanted length and put the end cap on? Still have the cat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both bikes look nice. A buddy of mine keeps bugging me to go for the baffle removal. Anyone know of the sound improvement? Is it louder or richer and lower too?
I just converted my stock mufflers to a straight pipe. Sound is improved, but not by a lot. Little deeper, little louder. Nothing like what Litos video clips above sound like.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts