Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how this is possible but I just completed the 3rd oil change on my 2018 RM. Drained the oil by removing both drain plugs and removed the oil filter, let it sit for well over an hour. Put the plugs on and the oil filter, added the 4.5qts, started her up as per the manual brought her to 2500 TPMS etc then added the additional quart. Went to place the waste oil in the empty containers and all I got was 4 qts:oops:, WTF is going on. The bike is not burning oil and the oil change was done in the exact same spot in my garage with the same procedure. The last 2 oil changes were pretty much bang on, 5.5 out, 5.5 in. I did just come off a 2000+ km ride where I was riding for almost 20hrs straight, 10hrs per day at 124 kph two consecutive days in 30 plus degree Celsius. The first two oil changes I noted what seemed to be about a tea spoon of oil on the inside of the sir filter cover. Anyone, how is this possible and what should I do or look for

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have to agree with Corey on this one...one question tho-are you using the same brand and weight oil? Also,you have to consider how many engine revolutions took place in those 10 hr a day rides.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skidmore 111, I use the TS 111 kits from Indian, so there's no if and or buts when it comes to the correct amount and endorsed by Indian. It's unfortunate these bikes are so hard to get an accurate reading if you want to check the oil, like many others have mentioned, if it isn't burning or leaking oil, then don't worry about it. Probably a good thing I changed the oil 900kms earlier. You would think there would have been some sort of warning when you're down 1.5qts of oil!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with ya! my main gripe is the inconsistent reading and method for checking oil.I am probably gonna bite the bullet and get an aftermarket dipstick soon as I dont like taking chances,and I dont necessarily agree with folks that say if its not burning or leaking dont worry about it.If I have an engine failure due to low oil level are they gonna pay for it? LOL!

·
Rider
1,830 Posts
So I’ve got just under seven thousand miles on my 2018 Vintage 111. One thing that I’ve not had to do with this motor I had to do with my 14 HD with a 103 is constantly add oil about every week. The oil pumps on these bikes are set up differently that that of the older HD twin cams and M8 motor. Out off the 2-3 oil changes I have had not once was I advised that their was a problem with oil consumption. Monitor it for leaks and check and see about the oil level next oil change. Also smell the oil and make sure it doesn’t have a gasoline smell and you’re not seeing smoke out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A bit of oil in the air cleaner housing is normal. Oil doesn't evaporate into the ether. It's possible you did burn/use it but the catastrophic converter masked the smoke assuming your's is still in the exhaust system. I've seen this on cars with converters. You just don't see the oil smoke that much. I'd keep an eye on it, though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
it’s normal for some engines to burn a little oil. I wouldn’t worry about it just check it from time to time. You can use oil and not have any sign of leaks or exhaust smoke or oil. This proves it’s important to check your oil regularly. I can’t understand how people think it’s ok to fill up the oil when you service your bike and ignore it until the next service. My scout has used a little bit of oil in the 1200 miles since the last oil change not enough to add any back right now but there is no way it will make it to the next service with out being topped off once or twice if it continues with it’s current oil consumption.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rides in the rain, it's unfortunate as mentioned earlier that trying to get an accurate oil reading on the TS111 is almost a crap shot. So if it registers low, is it actually low or was the reading done incorrectly, do you add, if so how much. I've gone over the bike completely, as mentioned there are no leaks, no smell in the old oil, no blue smoke and no smell of burning oil in the exhaust. I guess I got complacent as the first 2 oil changes were bang on, I have the same trip coming up next wknd but the difference in temps will be 9-13 degrees Celsius cooler. Even riding this week to work, morning temps were hovering at 7-8 degrees Celsius. Time will tell, I'm inclined to simply change out the oil after the trip just to see if I get 5.5 qts out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rides in the rain, it's unfortunate as mentioned earlier that trying to get an accurate oil reading on the TS111 is almost a crap shot. So if it registers low, is it actually low or was the reading done incorrectly, do you add, if so how much. I've gone over the bike completely, as mentioned there are no leaks, no smell in the old oil, no blue smoke and no smell of burning oil in the exhaust. I guess I got complacent as the first 2 oil changes were bang on, I have the same trip coming up next wknd but the difference in temps will be 9-13 degrees Celsius cooler. Even riding this week to work, morning temps were hovering at 7-8 degrees Celsius. Time will tell, I'm inclined to simply change out the oil after the trip just to see if I get 5.5 qts out.
I don’t own a 111 but I understand it’s difficult to get a good reading . What I would recommend people try to do is to get a routine for checking the oil. Park it in the same spot each time and repeat the same Procedure each time . Also don’t get concerned with it being exactly on the full mark. If it’s in the cold range when cold leave it alone. I think what may confuse people is the cold and hot range on the stick. If they run the engine for 3 minutes that is still cold oil and should be at the bottom of the range. Don’t get me wrong I don’t check my oil every day but I do every few hundred miles. I hope my comment above didn’t come out wrong I’m not blasting you for not checking the oil as it sounds like that’s the acceptable practice with these engines. I just wanted to state that some engines use a little oil and it doesn’t mean there is anything wrong.

·
Bronze member
3,561 Posts
I just changed the oil in my SDH again this afternoon putting "5 1/2 qts." back in it..After running it for a bit,then letting it set for an hour or so,,the oil level was right on the low oil mark which is where it's supposed to be when it is cold or has set for awhile.The book also gives ya a procedure to check it when the bike is shut off hot,then checked right away and the oil should be on the full mark.

·
Rider
946 Posts
If it’s in the cold range when cold leave it alone. I think what may confuse people is the cold and hot range on the stick.
Not every TS111 and 116 have a cold range on the dipstick. Mine a 2018 when cold on the stand doesn't show oil on the stick as there is no cold area. Checking it the way Indian says to it is only on the stick 1/4" and nowhere near the low mark on the stick. In fact the last time I changed the oil I put the 4.5 qts in and ran the bike for the 3 minutes then checked the oil as instructed in the manual and it shows the same amount as when there are 5.5 qts in there. You could put 3 qts and run the engine and it would read the same as 5.5 qts because it reading in the scavenger port of the oil system. If you wait more than 3 minutes after shutting off the bike you get no oil on the stick sitting upright.

That's why if you search the forums people say and so does Indian mothership that if you put in the required amount of oil and it does not blow or leak oil don't check the oil and don't worry about and drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts