Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being of a 'wider' persuasion then most I have problems seeing anything around my shoulders in the mirrors. Here is a picture of an extension I have used in the past that works well.
mirror extension.jpg
They are installed on a 2010 Honda Phantom chopper and will soon migrate to the new Indian Scout.

I will show pictures soon! In the mean time this is where you can find one that fits your bike.
Mirror Accessories | Custom Motorcycle Parts & Accessories

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I'm going to cut out the end holes of the grips and use bar end mirrors. I bought a couple of styles :)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
I have a set of those for my marauder. I probably won't use them for the scout, as I found the mirror set up to be quite visible for me. One thing I found with those adapters is that the bolt rusts after a while. I painted them with rust proof black paint.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to cut out the end holes of the grips and use bar end mirrors. I bought a couple of styles :)
I have a set of those for my marauder. I probably won't use them for the scout, as I found the mirror set up to be quite visible for me. One thing I found with those adapters is that the bolt rusts after a while. I painted them with rust proof black paint.
Trying to kill two birds with one stone, I will try answering both Mack and Troop in the same post. :)

Mack first, the extenders that I ordered and put on the Phantom had stainless steel bolts in the package I bought and no rust since 2010!

Now Troop.... I have tried to use bar-end mirrors several times with some awkward results, among these are they seem never to quit vibrating enough to see behind you very clearly and some have hit the tank when the handlebars are turned in when parked.

Turned up or turned down on the bar ends they are just plain ugly (to me) when you walk up to the bike and they make the bike look exaggeratedly wider. (I hate losing that 'wasp waist' look!) LOL!

Of course I've never tried it on a new Scout so I will try a pair held up against the bike for its visual compatibility.

Of course I would NEVER try to change your vision of your bike, I can only speak for myself.

I may change my mind... once again! <VBG>

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Could someone who has a Scout to look at please look at the mirror mount and see if the mount hole goes all the way through the mount.
Thanks.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could someone who has a Scout to look at please look at the mirror mount and see if the mount hole goes all the way through the mount.
Thanks.
No they do not go all the way through!

It would have been nice to do them like the HD Sportster does theirs and screw mirrors in on the bottom side.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That is what I was thinking. I just rode a Street Bob setup that way. It wasn't the best but I wasn't looking at my shoulder.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
These are the Ones I ordered in Chrome ...

This is what i am using now.. Cheap Honda Mirrors but at least can see well what's behind me ..

·
Registered
738 Posts
Being of a 'wider' persuasion then most I have problems seeing anything around my shoulders in the mirrors. Here is a picture of an extension I have used in the past that works well.
View attachment 4126 They are installed on a 2010 Honda Phantom chopper and will soon migrate to the new Indian Scout.
I will show pictures soon! In the mean time this is where you can find one that fits your bike.
Mirror Accessories | Custom Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
Hi RB, what a timely topic to bring up. I just picked up my Scout today and while it was a blast to ride, I noticed immediatley that something was going to have to be done about the mirrors. I don't considered my overly wide at all, but I'm not a tiny person either - but I had to use my old trick of crossing my left arm across my chest to see what was behind me in the left mirror.
The hardware pictured in your post looked very high quality so I'm very anxious to see the pics of your Scout with the new mountings,

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or you can just bent the Mirror arms to 90 degrees.

I do believe there are just thin wall tubing.
If I had even the slightest thought that it could be done without kinking, bent equally between the two arms or that the chrome/nickle (?) plating wouldn't chip, peel or flake off I would try it!

But with my luck...... I stole a hog one time and lost $7.00 on the deal! LOL! (Joke)

·
5,337 Posts
These are where Ordered Mine From are the same ones I got for my Victory Cross Country and worked perfectly Not trying to compete here RB's Idea Looks Great I just want to Stick with Chrome on mine and know from experience these will do the trick ..

2 Chrome 10mm Mirror Riser Extender Standard Thread motorbike Motorcycle Scooter | eBay

Just Got them in the Mail and will be Installing today will show pics of it finished up when done ..

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how they look, think they will be added to mine also.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are where Ordered Mine From are the same ones I got for my Victory Cross Country and worked perfectly Not trying to compete here RB's Idea Looks Great I just want to Stick with Chrome on mine and know from experience these will do the trick ..

2 Chrome 10mm Mirror Riser Extender Standard Thread motorbike Motorcycle Scooter | eBay

Just Got them in the Mail and will be Installing today will show pics of it finished up when done ..

Actually, a thought crossed my mind that I would probably be better off using the chrome ones myself.
I had thought about using the ones from the Phantom bike that has all powder coated black bars and such and the extensions were black too.

To match the Scout bars and mirror shafts it could make better sense to use the chrome ones?
But since the place where the mirrors attach are black, it could make as much sense to use the black ones.

I will ponder this later after you post your pictures of the chrome ones on your bike and make a decision! :)
015.jpg

·
5,337 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned it helped yes .. No More Seeing my Shoulders in the Mirrors now nice clear line of sight on what's behind me ..

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned it helped yes .. No More Seeing my Shoulders in the Mirrors now nice clear line of sight on what's behind me ..
Excellent, they look good.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Looks like a purchase is in the future. Thanks.

Reactions: JayFL459
1 - 20 of 85 Posts