Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking on changing my seating position for extra comfort (I like to ride with my legs extended) as well as changing the stock handlebars to reposition the upper controls (I find I'm a little too far forward).

Has anyone combined the Mini-Ape Handlebars (Item #2880904-410) - http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/accessories/ape-handlebar/pid-2880904-410 with the Extended Reach Foot Controls (Item #2880238-650) - http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/accessories/extended-reach-controls/pid-2880238-650?

All comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I think, and sometimes people don't like the things I say. So here is what I think about the riding position on my Scout. It is a sport bike with a image of a cruiser. To really enjoy the best features of the bike, which is the great handling through the curves and the powerful engine the rider needs to have a aggressive riding position. If you want a laid back straight line machine you should buy a HD Sporster.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tend to disagree, I have mini apes that are very close together (28" end to end), I find the taller bars make it a much more fun ride through the twisties.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you want a laid back straight line machine you should buy a HD Sporster.
Nonesense. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Dealer in El Cajon had one setup with extended pegs and apes, it felt awesome. I never went to extended reach pegs, but they definitely felt comfortable.
upload_2015-9-24_12-6-30.jpeg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few pictures my dealer (Peak Powersports - Oshawa, Ontario Canada) sent me showing the OEM Mini-Ape Handlebars (Item #2880904-410) installed on a 2016 Black Scout
IMG_20150918_133429.jpg
IMG_20150918_133438.jpg
IMG_20150918_133501.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
To really enjoy the best features of the bike, which is the great handling through the curves and the powerful engine the rider needs to have a aggressive riding position.
Which the Scout does not have. There's nothing 'aggressive' about it. The Scout has a compromised riding position at best. The pegs/controls are too far forward and too high. They position your knees at an awkward angle. The seat is pure sculpted cruiser and locks you into one spot. The bars, with the stock seat/pegs do fall in the right place but changes to the seat or pegs could make them an awkward reach.

I'm also firmly in the camp that wants higher bars, a higher, more comfortable seat and straighter legs.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I think, and sometimes people don't like the things I say. So here is what I think about the riding position on my Scout. It is a sport bike with a image of a cruiser. To really enjoy the best features of the bike, which is the great handling through the curves and the powerful engine the rider needs to have a aggressive riding position. If you want a laid back straight line machine you should buy a HD Sporster.
Oh Taboothe , you're the one! It's not that I don't like what you say, it's just that I disagree. My VS800 Intruder has pull back bars with forward controls, my Road King had reduced reach bars and an altered seat to give me that laid back position. And you could hammer both those bikes through the twisters with gay abandon. It's also what I am aiming to do with the Red Bullet. I have got a frame seat and a set of helibars to suit the Scout are on the way.

My damaged back requires me to ride in a laid back position or get off every 30 miles for a stretch.

PS forgot to mention I have extended reach controls fitted which I like very much and I also agree with some of @sledsnaxes comments in the previous post.

Reactions: TNTXjones

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Well well my old pal Al. I see why you want, need the bike set up that way and you should do anything you want to make it ride better. I don't care one way or the other what any ot the rest of you folks do to yours. If ape hangers and wayward pegs are your cup of tea then do it. But there is no way a bike handles better with your legs sticking out straight and your hands hanging up above you shoulders, looking like a big kite catching all the wind. You can paint the gas tank red white and blue, put a sissy bar on and stick feathers in both exhaust if it tickles you fancy. I'm done.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Well well my old pal Al. I see why you want, need the bike set up that way and you should do anything you want to make it ride better. I don't care one way or the other what any ot the rest of you folks do to yours. If ape hangers and wayward pegs are your cup of tea then do it. But there is no way a bike handles better with your legs sticking out straight and your hands hanging up above you shoulders, looking like a big kite catching all the wind. You can paint the gas tank red white and blue, put a sissy bar on and stick feathers in both exhaust if it tickles you fancy. I'm done.
Once I get the Helibars I will be setting them up so they are much like the Standard Intruder pull back bars. My hands will be just below elbow height and with the extra two inches reduced reach my back will be at 90 degrees or more which will alleviate the pain I currently get in my lower back. Yes, you picked it, the easy rider seating position. With that type of setup I can and have ridden all day for four days on the Intruder on one trip around the coast line of the North Island from Napier all the way up to the Cape at the top and then down the West Coast to New Plymouth and then inland home to Marton. So no, I won't be turning myself into a sail. Had two of those "sails" pass me today while heading to the supermarket on the Scout. One on the outside, one on the inside, both had a good look and then revved up and shot through. And I'm done too Buddy, time for a nanna nap.

TTFN,

Alpal

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I gotta believe if you take same bike, rider, twisty road and do two separate runs on a Scout with stock bars and foot control position versus mini apes/forward controls, the stock Scout would be both quicker and easier to complete.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your comments and suggestions - I really appreciate it. Based on this and numerous other posts on this forum I've decided to go with the Pullback Bars - Item #2880153-410 to start with and then decide what I want after that

Reactions: DarkScout

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heres mine - I'm 5' 8 and found the mini apes to be a huge improvement in comfort. Hands no longer falling asleep/cramping Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, I'm kicking around the idea of mini apes also. I had intended to go with a low profile bar, mini fairing, 2 into 1 exhaust...kind of a vintage racer look. But, man...the more I think about it, this bike just screams to have the vintage bobber treatment. I'm only 5'5", so think I'll leave the controls where they're at. Definitely going with the mini apes though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have mini apes and love them. I don't think my bike looks any less aggressive either. I felt uncomfortable reaching for the stock bars, and I'm sure it looked that way too. At 5'4", I was thrilled to have that be my only necessary upgrade to properly fit my bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love the way the bike looks with mini apes. I bought some and switched from the reduced reach bar.

I took the mini apes off after one day. I felt like I was reaching forward too much, it was killing my bad shoulder so I went back to the reduced reach. I may put the apes up for sale shortly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love the way the bike looks with mini apes. I bought some and switched from the reduced reach bar.

I took the mini apes off after one day. I felt like I was reaching forward too much, it was killing my bad shoulder so I went back to the reduced reach. I may put the apes up for sale shortly.
Did you angle them back to not reach so far forward? That's precisely the reason I bought mine. I'm surprised they didn't work for you. Hope your reduced reach doesn't irritate your shoulder though!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts