Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although many and varied experiences have been reported about how much fuel is left after the light comes on, I thought I'd share a bit of a 'wake-up' call I had today.

I usually use my trip when refueling, but at present I'm using it to count miles since I got my bike back from the dealer, so I'm generally filling up every 100 miles or so, as that's easy to remember.

However, last time I filled up it wasn't at a nice round figure, and so I lost track of how many miles I'd done. I figured it didn't matter because the fuel light would come on, and I've sometimes been surprised at how far I can go after that happens (having been caught out once early on). That said, I was in some rather remote countryside today, so it was on my mind.

Anyway, the light came on and that was fine because I saw from my sat-nav/gps that it was only 6.5 miles to the next gas stand. I pulled in there and filled up; it took 12.42 litres. When I got home I checked the capacity of the tank and it's 12.5 litres, according to the hand-book. So I had 0.08 of a litre left, assuming the tank is capable of using absolutely all the fuel left in it; that amounts to about 0.9 miles. That's a bit too close for my liking!

A helpful reminder to keep a note of mileage since refueling and not rely on the fuel light - it just might be that bit further to the next gas stand!

·
Rider
313 Posts
The most I ever went with the fuel light on was 10 miles, but that was doing between 45 & 55 mph. On an expressway I would start looking for something right away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I gas up at 100 and reset the trip odometer. I'm also getting in the habit of switching my display to the trip odometer every time I shut it down...I figure I'm less likely to forget if the mileage hits me in the face when I start the bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
I too reset my trip, I try to fill around 170 miles. Which leaves about a quarter of a tank. Since the fuel pump is in the tank, and is cooled by the fuel. Same as with my truck. The pump gets hot and as we all know, heat kills. So why burn it out any sooner then need be. 170 miles straight, is a good point to get off and walk around

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
I too reset my trip, I try to fill around 170 miles. Which leaves about a quarter of a tank. Since the fuel pump is in the tank, and is cooled by the fuel. Same as with my truck. The pump gets hot and as we all know, heat kills. So why burn it out any sooner then need be. 170 miles straight, is a good point to get off and walk around
170 miles!?

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
I went crazy trying to figure out a similar scenario with a carbureted softail. I managed to put 5.5 gallons into a 5 gallon tank. I thought the pump was wrong. I finally called HD customer service. The stated fuel capacity of this particular model was based on the fuel level of bike upright and the fuel 1" below the bottom of the fuel neck to prevent the vent being blocked which I've witnessed as well. Short answer, the capacity is based on the definition of full in that particular tank.

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
Oh I was thinking it was a scout 60

·
Administrator
18,409 Posts
Whoa. MSR makes fuel containers?! I have a ton of REI "dividends" I know what I'm doing with... ;)
That's what I use, too! Wrap it in a shop towel and put it at the bottom of your saddlebag. You'll probly never use it but it is great peace of mind.

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
You could always buy the engineered fuel from Lowes. Comes in a can. Is sealed. Ethanol free 90 octane

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's what I use, too! Wrap it in a shop towel and put it at the bottom of your saddlebag. You'll probly never use it but it is great peace of mind.
Yup, carry two myself, when running a backwoods route. Carried them on our last trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the backroads of N.C. and Tenn.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You could always buy the engineered fuel from Lowes. Comes in a can. Is sealed. Ethanol free 90 octane
That takes all of the fun out of it, you would be surprised how many ask if it is a Nitrous bottle. it is more fun to make them turn as red as the bottle, when you tell them all that they had to do was read the bottle.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That takes all of the fun out of it, you would be surprised how many ask if it is a Nitrous bottle. it is more fun to make them turn as red as the bottle, when you tell them all that they had to do was read the bottle.
It would be more fun, if you keep an empty/never used one just above or below the exhaust pipes lol

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
When the Fuel Light comes on , I have over 1 gallon of fuel left, so I have about another 40 miles to ride safely on my Chieftain.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
When the Fuel Light comes on , I have over 1 gallon of fuel left, so I have about another 40 miles to ride safely.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

1 - 20 of 36 Posts