Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody want to talk about gas mileage??? NOT impressed at 1000 miles. But, it really doesn't matter, it's averg. at 34 now, I look for that to improve. Some feed back would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first 14 was getting 29.1 at 1000 miles at 70 mph in cruise. Ended with average today at around 500 miles on my new one with average right around 35MPG during initial breakin. I only see it getting better as it loosens up. Much better than 29 on my first one. I know on my Cross Country started in 30's and today with the wife riding it, she got over 47 with 15,000 on the clock. My poor mileage may be related to my big butt and wrist angle on throttle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
First ride home was ten daze and a tad over 3k smiles. Avg mpg is 43 and change. Saw 50s tooling the blue ridge. Beating feet on the super slab cuts it bak in the mid low 40s. So far have racked up 4k, avg is still hangin at 43. poncho

·
Registered
4 Posts
First ride home was ten daze and a tad over 3k smiles. Avg mpg is 43 and change. Saw 50s tooling the blue ridge. Beating feet on the super slab cuts it bak in the mid low 40s. So far have racked up 4k, avg is still hangin at 43. poncho
What octane do you run? With or w/o ethanol?

·
Registered
57 Posts
93'ish, which ever is at the pump. havent tried else, as the promos made a big stink about this motor havin to have this slo-mo juice.. none my other sleds, all of em run 87 fine its a better fuel.
Ethyl nol? yeah your govmint shuving this gunk down our or is up our? probly both. havent seen noplace that is govmint free.. yet. this stuff is gonna ruin our motors. theyr banking on it... no, I mean theyr b.a.n.k.i.n.g. on it. making bank.

I havent read figured out how to reset the avg mpg setting yet. 43 is the accumulative of 4500 smiles. but I do also calculate each fill up, miles/gal. 43 is the number. hoping it gets better. read others tell it does. poncho

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm at 2300 miles and averaging 38 MPG's riding at around 70 MPH. The gas mileage is improving but more importantly the bike is as smooth as silk and a complete joy to ride.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just did a 400 mile highway trip. Speeds between 64-70. Got 43.7 average for the trip. I have a Chieftan with 2,400 miles Found that mileage drops off at speeds over 70 MPH.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Just made it to 5K miles on my Chieftain #610. Averaging 40+ MPG. Last tank covered the trip from Reno to Santa Rosa. 216 miles using 4.6 gallons = 46.9 MPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I now have 4163 miles and the mpg have gone up. At an avg. of 38.9. I'm happy, it's going up all the time.....looking for that 40 avg. Riding on the Natchez Trace at 50mph, getting a good 48 - 50 miles to gal. No worries, we're going to be fine, after all, it is a BIG BIKE and has muscle in the closet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anybody want to talk about gas mileage??? NOT impressed at 1000 miles. But, it really doesn't matter, it's averg. at 34 now, I look for that to improve. Some feed back would be appreciated.
I don't really remember what I got before I finished breakin. But I got around 40 mpg average on a 6,000 mile trip out west. Of course in Wyoming, cruising at 80 on the freewayI only got 35 mpg. On a day ride recently, riding slower, and lugging it down some, I got 50 mpg. There is hope.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My fuel economy really depends on how much I play with low end grunt. If I kick it hard, I get about 36.5 MPG. When I take off and accelerate like a human.... I get 42 MPG. I get about 45 - 47 MPG on a flat road...at a legal speed.

HOWEVER.... I got the 42 as well as the 45 - 47 as a test. Quite happy with my 36.5!!!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Early joiner
190 Posts
Road Master with 1350 miles and avg is 39.7 mix of highway and back roads to work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first 14 was getting 29.1 at 1000 miles at 70 mph in cruise. Ended with average today at around 500 miles on my new one with average right around 35MPG during initial breakin. I only see it getting better as it loosens up. Much better than 29 on my first one. I know on my Cross Country started in 30's and today with the wife riding it, she got over 47 with 15,000 on the clock. My poor mileage may be related to my big butt and wrist angle on throttle.
10000 miles 2015 RM - 40 mpg average

1 - 20 of 26 Posts