Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Mileage?..after low fuel light on

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Member2017 
#1 ·
Why is there no display of how many miles are left after low fuel light comes on?

#3 ·
I agree, not advisable to run once low fuel light comes on. Like most, if not all, vehicles the Indian fuel pumps are in the bottom of the fuel tank and need fuel to stay cool. You are protecting your fuel pump by gassing up early. Occasionally it won't hurt but I avoid doing it as much as possible. Indian, like some other manufacturers, has the light come on early to protect the fuel pumps. They don't want to give you a mileage until dry.

#4 ·
Mine comes on right close to 1 gal reserve, so depending on the mileage average at the time it could be anywhere from 34-50 miles left.

#6 ·
Yeah,, the fuel light,,, ( pet cocks worked better). Most scout owners fuel at 100 miles, or so,, my fuel indicator light came on once,, around 110-120 . Then I road another 20 to a fuel stop,, So for me 140 miles sweat-en the whole way.. In 50 years of motorcycles,, ran out once,, and only once. Never again, fuel light, pet cock ,, don’t matter,,, fuel often or forever hold your PET COCK.

#8 ·
depends.......on how you are riding......if you are tearing up the road leaving every traffic light you might get 5 miles...taking it easy....20 or more. I left the house last year on my Roadmaster after having done some yard work, because the better half wanted to go riding. We get about 40 miles away after leaving on a quarter tank, and when we go to get off to get a drink, I realized I had left my wallet in my pants I had on working in the yard...the better half didn't have hers so we rode the 40 miles back on empty. Luckily we had to go past my parents house on the way home and I bummed a twenty off my dad.....man...haven't done that in years. so....it depends.....had I been ripping up the road to get home, I don't think I would have made it. I think I had less than half a gallon left when I filled up.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.