Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's an Indian Chieftain and Vintage plus the Scout just came out. I wss wondering if Indian is planning to come out with a Mid Size Cruiser. Vintage and the Chieftain are over 800 pounds and the Scout is 550 pounds. Before seeing the Scout I wss looking at the V Star 1300 which is 100 pounds heavier then the Scout and my present bike 2003 Suzuki Volusia VL800. I love my bike but I'm ready for a little bigger bike. Not much bigger but just a little. Don't want to go big yet.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing. I'm getting "older" and really don't want to be dealing with an 800+ pound bike much longer. Given all the fine design and engineering I've seen from Indian so far (I ordered a new Scout), I'm sure they are capable of coming out with the perfect mid-sizer.

How about it Indian?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Been pondering the same thing. Something in the Dyna size would be good for women or men who want the comfort of a big bike minus the weight of a Sherman tank. I suppose they need to get their act together on their current line up first. The dealerships and parts supply are still in novice mode.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,119 Posts
Personally I'm surprised they came out with the Scout. I came off a Victory and there were some over there who saw leaked pre-production pictures. Everyone belive the Scout was going to be released as a Victory. If Polaris follows the same business practise with Indian the use with Victory then I think the Scout is the smallest bike they will put out.

That said, I rode a V Star 1300 and moved up to the Victory Cross Roads with zero problems. It's about 30-40 lbs lighter than the Vintage but basically the same handling characteristics. Just ride it around the parking lot for a while and take side streets until you get the feel of the bike. Just remember, at the basic level, all bikes are controlled the same way. If you can handle the V Star you can handle the Scout, the Vintage, the Chieftain, heck you can even handle a Boss Hoss... once you get use to the different weight and feel. The big difference between a small bike and a big bike is how much it hurst when you make a mistake :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes something in the Dyna size but alot better looking. Ha I don't want them to have a big selection of bike like other the other manufacturer has. Just keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
"Scuttle" from the Polaris reps was that Polaris applied for the Scout/motor patent as a Victory to throw off competitors. Who knows? Their was a Spirit model?? Maybe in 2016?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have the Chieftain and while it is not a small bike....it certainly doesn't feel as big as it is. Now....when we are talking about age... I am one of the 50s children....VERY EARLY 50s children and I find these bikes very comfortable and they don't have the heavy feel of the HD equivalent. I was amazed when I pulled up the Classic and the Vintage....they both felt heavier than my Chieftain. I guess it is the 29 degree rake vs the 25 degree rake of mine. I don't know but something is very different in the feel. I have now seen the Scout in person but it is way too small for me and is certainly not the proper bike for any distance touring.

If you have not tried the bigger bikes.... you might want to try them out. You might surprise yourself.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts