Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Should a midsized Indian cruiser have an air cooled or water cooled motor?

• Water cooled resembling Scout

• Air cooled resembling TS 111

• Water cooled disguised as an air cooled

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so if Indian builds a midsize cruiser should it have an air cooled or water cooled motor?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think we are going to have to get used to motorcycles being water cooled; the EPA regulations are going to force manufacturers to move in that direction

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,311 Posts
Definitely water cooled. Probably another V-twin but a lengthwise inline four would be cool as hell.

·
Bronze member
2,150 Posts
"Chrome wont get you home" as they say.

Liquid all day long

·
Bronze member
3,063 Posts
water cooled... and please spare me the fake air cooled look... I like the look of the Scout motor and what we've seen of the Power Plus 108... isn't bad enough everyone thinks Indian copies Harley... we don't need no faux air cooled bike...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love my Springfield with a couple of exceptions, weight and the heat coming off the engine. A liquid cooled midsize would be great for me. I am thinking something like a liquid cooled HD Softail Slim sized bike.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Triumph got their air-cooled classic look down on a liquid-cooled modern bike. I had to have one just for nostalgia sake. The Indian classic look happens to be air-cooled. Even their inline 4 had lots and lots of fins showing. The classic looks are what first interested me in the modern Indians... It would be a shame to lose that appeal.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to see both a sport oriented watercooled with Scout styled cylinders and heads, and a WC with fins on a more nostalgic mid weight cruiser.

·
Bronze member
3,063 Posts
when the PP 108 comes out... they'll have 6 yes that's right SIX motors... guess which one will be on the losing end in a few years... no company that has 4 lines (FTR, Scout, Chief, Challenger) can make it...

·
Bronze member
3,063 Posts
?? I'd argue that no motorcycle company that has only 4 lines can make it.
IMO not making six motors... 4 lines no problem... keeping up with six different motors financially stupid

·
Silver member
3,326 Posts
IMO not making six motors... 4 lines no problem... keeping up with six different motors financially stupid
Well it's really four motors for the four lines. Sure two of them have two sizes at the moment but it's really four engines matched to the four lines and two of the lines have two engine sizes. And surely Indian will introduce more engine sizes on these four basic motors.

·
Silver member
4,834 Posts
Yep, they are missing the boat on that one and we all know it. A retro Indian 4 would be a game changer. Give it that old school look and a canted tail pipe and holy shit they will sell 50,000 units the first year. But they should make it a water cooled 4 with old school fins and "look out Mama there is white dove floating up the river..."

·
Bronze member
1,305 Posts
Question: Do any of you guys believe a Sport-Touring model (and yes, this would mean discarding almost all "retro" or "heritage" Indian styling cues) and regardless the type or arrangement or configuration of its engine, would sell if Indian produced it?

OR, do you think Indians primarily sell because of their "retro" or "heritage" qualities and appearances?

(...jus' wonderin')

·
Bronze member
1,132 Posts
Yep, they are missing the boat on that one and we all know it. A retro Indian 4 would be a game changer. Give it that old school look and a canted tail pipe and holy shit they will sell 50,000 units the first year. But they should make it a water cooled 4 with old school fins and "look out Mama there is white dove floating up the river..."
Nope.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts