Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought all you guys with Challengers would like to know that Ret at KST kustoms has midrise bars available for order now. He did tell me via email that they won't ship till the 10th or 11th of Feb.

Here is a link to the page. Check them out. From talking with Ret, he seems like a real hard working guy. He responded to emails in a very timely manner and even shared a prototype picture with me.
I did have a set of the apache bars on my chieftain and loved the look of them. Available in black or polished.

Just a heads up I am not being paid to advertise for KST or receiving a discount. I ordered mine at list price like everyone else. I really enjoyed the ergo of the apache bars and thats why I decided to get these for my Challenger.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My stock bars are turned up now and almost right. I need a set of bars that co up about 2-3" more.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Just thought all you guys with Challengers would like to know that Ret at KST kustoms has midrise bars available for order now. He did tell me via email that they won't ship till the 10th or 11th of Feb.

Here is a link to the page. Check them out. From talking with Ret, he seems like a real hard working guy. He responded to emails in a very timely manner and even shared a prototype picture with me.
I did have a set of the apache bars on my chieftain and loved the look of them. Available in black or polished.

Just a heads up I am not being paid to advertise for KST or receiving a discount. I ordered mine at list price like everyone else. I really enjoyed the ergo of the apache bars and thats why I decided to get these for my Challenger.

Now those are some really nice looking handlebars but I have to agree, after turning my OEM bars up as high as they can go without hitting the fairing on L/R turns the height and position (distance for reach) is almost perfect for me. I guess someone could adjust the KST Kustom midrise bar down/back from the clamp a little to help lower them and/or shorten the reach distance from the seat to the bars if this condition is necessary for a particular rider. Rule of thumb for raised handle bars height for best comfort, especially for long rides/touring - hands should not be higher than shoulder(s).

If you look close at the photos of the black bars they are adjusted back & are slighty lower. You can toggle back and fourth with the chrome & black set of handle bar photos to get an idea or see the difference you can create by moving the bars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Now those are some really nice looking handlebars but I have to agree, after turning my OEM bars up as high as they can go without hitting the fairing on L/R turns the height and position (distance for reach) is almost perfect for me. I guess someone could adjust the KST Kustom midrise bar down/back from the clamp a little to help lower them and/or shorten the reach distance from the seat to the bars if this condition is necessary for a particular rider. Rule of thumb for raised handle bars height for best comfort, especially for long rides/touring - hands should not be higher than shoulder(s).

If you look close at the photos of the black bars they are adjusted back & are slighty lower. You can toggle back and fourth with the chrome & black set of handle bar photos to get an idea or see the difference you can create by moving the bars.
that’s what I was thinking, if I put the KSTs in the lowest position, should make them a 12” rise and closer to me.
I have my stock in highest position (1/4” clearance) and I still feel like I’m leaning forward .

·
Registered
261 Posts
that’s what I was thinking, if I put the KSTs in the lowest position, should make them a 12” rise and closer to me.
I have my stock in highest position (1/4” clearance) and I still feel like I’m leaning forward .
I agree about leaning forward but to be honest I think it's just me. I constantly catch myself leaning forward, then sit back and I'm still comfortable. I guess the bars are at the tipover point that actually makes me feel like I need to lean forward even though I don't have to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from KST as the bars they sent me don't fit the clutch or brake control assembly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a video on utube about this. There is an Indexing pin in the control cluster. You will have to drill a hole in the bars for it or take a dremel tool and remove the pin.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is a video on utube about this. There is an Indexing pin in the control cluster. You will have to drill a hole in the bars for it or take a dremel tool and remove the pin.
I think you were replying to me, if that's the case, it's the lever assemblies that don't fit the bar. The switch clusters fit fine, as they do have the hole for the index pin.

I asked Ret about this and his suggestion was..

That is not an uncommon issue. The way the bar is tapered causes it to not nest perfectly in together. What I usually recommend people to do if it is bothering them is the feather the edges of the perch collar where it is touching the bar. The collar is soft aluminum so it won’t take much to get it done. You will never see this part of the collar
Does that sound right? I'm just a tad nervous about modifying hardware on my bike in this fashion. What if I don't like the bars, then I'd have to buy a new clutch and brake lever assembly, not to mention all the work involved with replacing those. It's bad enough that my new left heated grip is now firmly cemented in place and there's no way that's coming off. That's alot of "feathering", or whatever that means to make one side even remotely fit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My apologies as i did not thoroughly read your post. That’s a bit of a situation you have there. Haven’t heard of anyone have to mod their lever mounts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My stock bars are turned up now and almost right. I need a set of bars that co up about 2-3" more.
I'd like to adjust my bars up too. What did you have to do to get access? And what size Allen head or torx is the bolt needing loosened? Thanks for your time and effort,
Rayray

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, after some jiggery pokery, the bars are on. They look and feel good.
They look good. What did you do to get the fit right? I just got my KST bars in the mail yesterday. I'll probably do the install next weekend. Those look like the OEM grips. Did you reuse them or buy new ones?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had to trim some metal off the collar for the clutch and brake assemblies. Something to do with the reducer they're using doesn't quite reduce to the size need. It may or may not be necessary for yours.

I installed the Indian heated grips at the same time.

The hardest part of the whole process was dealing with those two damn long bolts that hold the handlebar assembly on the bike. The ones that are torqued to 60ftlb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you were replying to me, if that's the case, it's the lever assemblies that don't fit the bar. The switch clusters fit fine, as they do have the hole for the index pin.

I asked Ret about this and his suggestion was..

Does that sound right? I'm just a tad nervous about modifying hardware on my bike in this fashion. What if I don't like the bars, then I'd have to buy a new clutch and brake lever assembly, not to mention all the work involved with replacing those. It's bad enough that my new left heated grip is now firmly cemented in place and there's no way that's coming off. That's alot of "feathering", or whatever that means to make one side even remotely fit.
Did you ever make any moves on this? I just got the KST bars as well and love them but I have that same gap you do (mines even wider unfortunately). I have a dremel tool and could probably do what he suggests but I have the same concerns you do. Although at the same time I realistically don’t see myself switching out these bars for a long time. Curious how you ended up handling this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, after some jiggery pokery, the bars are on. They look and feel good.

View attachment 590107 View attachment 590108
Hey. The bars look great. Do you have any problem leaning back in your seat, cruising along and racking up the miles with you hands comfortably on the bars? I bought a 2021 a few weeks ago and had them install Torch Rival bars and unfortunately I can not lean back in my seat and wrap both hands around the grips. Now I need to find a replacement to get the comfort I need for touring. Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd like to adjust my bars up too. What did you have to do to get access? And what size Allen head or torx is the bolt needing loosened? Thanks for your time and effort,
Rayray
You can access the bottom clamp bolt easily once the bars are cranked left or right. It’s a 6mm hex. Just loosen the bottom two (one on each side) and the bars will adjust. Just be sure to check your clearance while in full lock before torquing the 6mm bolts back to 18ft pounds (thanks again Herk). I adjusted mine today and my arms are almost perpendicular to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts