Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing Indian Mid rise bars, is it necessary to change the clutch cable. Will the stock clutch cable work? Has anyone installed mid rise on a 2019/20 Chieftain and not had to change the clutch cable?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
222 Posts
When I was contemplating Indian mid rise bars I spoke with my local dealership and was informed that an extended clutch cable was absolutely necessary, it even comes with the bars when you buy them. I went with KST customs bars and did not have to replace the clutch cable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
even if stock cable is re routed the bars have to be rotated to the rider so far back that they will hit on the console. I know I bought a bike that was that way. the clutch cable isn't that hard to change out and you will be happy in the long run.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
even if stock cable is re routed the bars have to be rotated to the rider so far back that they will hit on the console. I know I bought a bike that was that way. the clutch cable isn't that hard to change out and you will be happy in the long run.
No, they don't. I have KST Apache bars, with 2" Rox Risers, on my '17 RM. All I had to do with the clutch cable was route it under the handlebar instead of over the top of it, and adjust the tension at the adjuster a bit. While I do have my bars rotated further down than most people would, it is because I am 5'7" with T-Rex arms.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, they don't. I have KST Apache bars, with 2" Rox Risers, on my '17 RM. All I had to do with the clutch cable was route it under the handlebar instead of over the top of it, and adjust the tension at the adjuster a bit. While I do have my bars rotated further down than most people would, it is because I am 5'7" with T-Rex arms.
one thing I don't think the KST bars are as wide as the mid rise bars if nit mistakin I think about 2 inch narrower which would help he wasn't talking kst bars he was talkin indian mid rise bars if you wanted to see pics of where the mid rise bars hit on my console with the cable routed behind the tree I could do that but don't see the need. I know how it was on my bike with mid rise, I know what had to be done to fix it I know when I put the rox risers on with the mid rise bars I had to run the extended cable behind the tree and it still is on the tight side

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just installed the Indian Mid-rise. Glad they come with a new clutch cable. I just cut the end of the old cable, if you don't it's a real Bi&#H to remove, and the pulled the cut cable right out. Slightly rerouted the new cable, easiest part of the job. With help of a friend, this is a 3 hour job, there are no short cuts to make it quicker.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just installed the Indian Mid-rise. Glad they come with a new clutch cable. I just cut the end of the old cable, if you don't it's a real Bi&#H to remove, and the pulled the cut cable right out. Slightly rerouted the new cable, easiest part of the job. With help of a friend, this is a 3 hour job, there are no short cuts to make it quicker.
Wmoore14 nailed it for OEM bars. There are some bars out there that do not require a new clutch cable so always check with the manufacturer prior to purchase.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm installing Indian Mid rise bars, is it necessary to change the clutch cable. Will the stock clutch cable work? Has anyone installed mid rise on a 2019/20 Chieftain and not had to change the clutch cable?

Thanks for your help!
No u do not need cable just remove clamps and u have plenty of cable, mine that came with kit is hanging on wall

·
Registered
76 Posts

Thanks for your help!
I'm sure this has been resolved by now, but I've noticed that there's two different part numbers for the mid rise bars. I'm looking to get them installed and figured out the difference between PN 2884575-266 (w/o extended clutch cable) and PN 2883450-266(w/ extended clutch cable), They're both black and appears to be the same. The description says they fit the chieftain family.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was contemplating Indian mid rise bars I spoke with my local dealership and was informed that an extended clutch cable was absolutely necessary, it even comes with the bars when you buy them. I went with KST customs bars and did not have to replace the clutch cable.
Did you install the kst or did dealer install?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes you will need the longer clutch cable that comes with the bars. Also, be careful when installing it. My son and I got a little too aggressive with it to get it on and after 1-2K miles I started to get cable fraying and had to both buy a new cable AND pay for the dealer to install it because I had it in for service prior to a trip and didn't have the time to try and get it right a second time. Spendy mistake to say the least, but I love the higher, wider bars so it was worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes you will need the longer clutch cable that comes with the bars. Also, be careful when installing it. My son and I got a little too aggressive with it to get it on and after 1-2K miles I started to get cable fraying and had to both buy a new cable AND pay for the dealer to install it because I had it in for service prior to a trip and didn't have the time to try and get it right a second time. Spendy mistake to say the least, but I love the higher, wider bars so it was worth it.
You needed the cable extension for +6?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You needed the cable extension for +6?
Not sure what the +6 is that you're referring to. I was talking about the Indian Mid Rise Handlebars which I believe raises the grips 4" and definitely sets them out higher. FYI: If you go with these bars your hands are going to be set just above the fairing so if you ride in cold weather like I do you will definitely want to go with heated grips. Best decision I made when I had everything apart because I was waffling back & forth on the cost. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you install the kst or did dealer install?
I installed Indian mid rise and you do have to replace the clutch cable. It’s really not hard to do- don’t loosen the frame and all that crap you see on YouTube. Just cut the cable and it will pull through the frame, then you can route the new cable almost exactly like it came stock, but it won’t be pinched by the frame. It’s a 3 hour job, there are no short cuts, and I would suggest getting a friend to help, not that it’s difficult but it makes it easier when you need an extra hand. Doing it your self will save you $350-400.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i guess im not understanding all this if you buy a set of midrise bars they come with a cable if you are mechanically inclined enough to put the bars on you should be able to put the cable on. can u put midrise bars on without changing the cable sure if you dont want the cable to be routed right you can you may not be able to turn all the way but hey thats minor shit. the cable is roughly an hour job give or take. grab a six pack a rainy day gives you a chance to spend time with your sweetheart, give her some lovin for all the lovin she gives you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts