Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my thinking... I love the way that the bike is set up, but I don't think that it is "my style." I like an aggressive stance on a motorcycle.

I have been thinking about aftermarket bars and how that is going to change the riding stance, body position, and controllability. Aggressive drag bars with the stock foot pegs will make a rider feel like a clam (feet forward and hands forward) and ultimately not very comfy. Now don't read that and assume that I want a comfy cruiser. That is not the idea at all.

I am all about the less is more principle when it comes to motorcycles which is what drew me to the Scout in the first place. There are no covers, and extra weight on there really at all.

I know that there is already a bar thread on here, so I am anxious to see what you all think about relocating the controls. Will the "reduced reach" control kit get the feet far enough back that aggressive bars wont bind you up, or do you guys think this is going to be something for the aftermarket to solve?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Sign me up. I want an upright cruising position, which for me means mid-controls, high and forward tractor seat and beach bars. I ordered he reduced reach accessories for now, and maybe those control are back enough. Plan is to get the custom seat made, find appropriate beach bars (suggestions anyone?), then see whether we need to move the controls back further. On other bikes, that's a pretty easy mod even if there isn't an aftermarket solution. Similar stance to this 1920 Scout (and I am not comparing the two, but if I had posted what I did to my Sporty this thread will go into one of those tea-party/NRA rants).

Indian 1920 Scout.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am right with you on the mid controls Nick. I can't see Indian not coming out with a Scout model with mid controls. The bike looks like it would be tons of fun with them, time will tell.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Once Indian takes hold of a greater market share, I believe there will be many aftermarket accesories to add and change. One thing that made H-D so popular, was the parts interchange ability for so many years.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sign me up. I want an upright cruising position, which for me means mid-controls, high and forward tractor seat and beach bars. I ordered he reduced reach accessories for now, and maybe those control are back enough. Plan is to get the custom seat made, find appropriate beach bars (suggestions anyone?), then see whether we need to move the controls back further. On other bikes, that's a pretty easy mod even if there isn't an aftermarket solution. Similar stance to this 1920 Scout (and I am not comparing the two, but if I had posted what I did to my Sporty this thread will go into one of those tea-party/NRA rants).

View attachment 3861
Now I just want to know what you did to your Sporty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reduced reach controls are two inches back, but one inch lower. Lower is not better for agressive riding.

I'm coming from Triumphs and BMW's, so when I took a demo ride I almost couldn't find the controls, they're so far forward. But to really bring them back, the seat height has to come up to keep the leg cramps at bay.

I ordered the taller (2") seat, but waited on the reduced controls. Want some quality time on the bike before making any other changes.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reduced reach controls are two inches back, but one inch lower.
This may come from a preliminary misprint on the Indian website. Actually, the reduced reach controls on my wife's bike raise the controls; they don't lower them. Coming from a mid control bike I was thinking maybe the reduced reach would be a possible solution for me, but when I sit on my wife's bike my knees are too high. It's far more distracting than the forward control set up.

I am right with you on the mid controls Nick. I can't see Indian not coming out with a Scout model with mid controls. The bike looks like it would be tons of fun with them, time will tell.
I asked my dealer about this last week. He said Indian will definitely NOT be coming up with a mid control setup for the Scout. Something about difficulty with placement of the controls on the frame.

I'm hoping he's wrong, but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Reactions: ChC and NickJ

·
Registered
318 Posts
The problems I see with mid control on a cruiser is that's it built to low.
It's a problem especially if you're a tall person. You have to rase the seat way up to sit comfortable!
It's built for a more lade back style in my opinion!
It's not built to be a sportsbike!

/Ken

·
Registered
107 Posts
That Japanese one looks good, just need to translate......... It appears to be about £450 which looks like a good price Kotakoko can you put some more information up?
I went to have the Scout serviced at Krazy Horse (England) and they had Guy Martins record Scout there, the had a good solution custom built, I asked if they were thinking about making a run, but the say too dear as they are CNC, however if they had enough enquirers I think they could be cast............ No pictures sorry but Google Guy Martin Indian scout record holder and it should come up

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Since buying the Dyna with Mid Controls forgot how much I preferred the Stance of Mid Controls so will be watching this and long as doesn't affect the lean angle with scraping earlier .. Am already scraping the scout when get a bit aggressive .. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
That Japanese one looks good, just need to translate......... It appears to be about £450 which looks like a good price Kotakoko can you put some more information up?
I went to have the Scout serviced at Krazy Horse (England) and they had Guy Martins record Scout there, the had a good solution custom built, I asked if they were thinking about making a run, but the say too dear as they are CNC, however if they had enough enquirers I think they could be cast............ No pictures sorry but Google Guy Martin Indian scout record holder and it should come up
It is a kind of relocation kit. Still needs original lever and pegs. Approximately US$600.
They have a good reputation of mid control for V-ROD priced US$1200.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is a kind of relocation kit. Still needs original lever and pegs. Approximately US$600.
They have a good reputation of mid control for V-ROD priced US$1200.
Hi can you help? Looked on the website and can't find email address can you help?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi can you help? Looked on the website and can't find email address can you help?
Maybe if there is enough interest someone like Xchoppers could buy a few and sell them here.

I'd be very interested, it looks like it's actually very well placed and wouldn't sacrifice any lean angle.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
I am very interested in mid controls if someone finds a way to import the ones pictured or make similar ones. I also have the 1920s solo saddle, which seats you significantly higher. I would recommend it or similar if you want to do this mod.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts