Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change out tires on my 2014 Chieftain and I noticed that the Michelin rear would be a 180 65R 16 rather than a 180 60 R16 Dunlap that came on it. Will this throw off the speedometer/odometer?

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
nope ... the speedo will still be on the "happy" side. Just not as much as it was before.

The Chiefs with spoked wheels all come with 180 65 B16 tires from factory. I assume the 180 65 R16 will be the same size.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,628 Posts
I'm about to change out tires on my 2014 Chieftain and I noticed that the Michelin rear would be a 180 65R 16 rather than a 180 60 R16 Dunlap that came on it. Will this throw off the speedometer/odometer?
I Put Michelin C2s on my RM and the speedo is fine. With original Dunlop’s my speedo showed 3 miles faster than my Garmin GPS. The Michelins may actually help correct the dispariety between my speedo and GPS.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
I just put on my second 180/65B/16,[bias,not radial],and found that I got better tire mileage,a better ride,an accurate speedometor reading,and the best part,it was less money then the radial tire that came on it from the factory!! So it's a win,win for me.But,each to his own! Dave!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

• I just put on my second 180/65B/16,[bias,not radial],and found that I got better tire mileage,a better ride,an accurate speedometor reading,and the best part,it was less money then the radial tire that came on it from the factory!! So it's a win,win for me.But,each to his own! Dave!!!
    Your new tire was it a Michelin ? and did you replace the front with a Michelin Bias? Thanks

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
Both replacement tires, front and rear,are Dunlop American Elite's,and both are bias,NOT RADIALS.The last bike I owned ,a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird, used radials on both ends and neither one lasted worth a sh**,no matter which brand I used,or what air pressure I put in em.Plus,I never drove that machine hard and always rode one up,no passenger.I changed 33 tires over a six year period and 125,000 miles,and did it myself.[do the math] Just imagine what it would have cost me if I had a stealership or bike shop do it for me. :eek: :mad: And the bad news was,there were NO BIAS tires available or even close to the size tires used on that machine,so I was kinda screwed and had to keep using radials.And then,I NEVER drove that machine hard,plus I experimented with tire pressures,hoping it would correct the rapid tire wear,but it didn't make any difference.And believe it or not,THAT was the main reason I traded that machine in towards the SDH I bought.
Now the Indian came with a bias tire on the front and a radial tire on the rear.When I hit the 15,000 mile mark,the back tire was bald and I mean bald and I was only running one up and using Indians' recommended tire pressure.The replacement tire I put on was a bias tire and lasted me 18,000 miles ,but could have gone longer had I not followed Indians tire pressure recommendation [too low] which I have now adjusted for so it doesn't wear as fast.
The original front tire was a bias and lasted me alittle over 22,000 miles, which is not bad at all considering the size and weight of this machine.
And other then the rapid wear on the rear tire,I have no complaints, what so ever, about this machine. Dave!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts