Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rider
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anybody tired the new commander 3’s. I know a 180 rear commander 2’s would fit on a bobber I’m wondering if the new commander 3’s will fit as well. They should right? Also I would get the lighter version, as the new commander III have to versions now. 1 for heavier cruisers and a second for lighter cruisers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Got a set put on yesterday. So far I like them, but haven’t tried them in the rain yet. Got the normal size rear, which only comes in the cruiser version.
The two versions aren’t necessarily weight, but riding style. The cruisers are more rounded for better handling in curves and the touring are less rounded with more siping for water handling.

·
Rider
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a set put on yesterday. So far I like them, but haven’t tried them in the rain yet. Got the normal size rear, which only comes in the cruiser version.
The two versions aren’t necessarily weight, but riding style. The cruisers are more rounded for better handling in curves and the touring are less rounded with more siping for water handling.
You put on a 180?

·
Rider
680 Posts
Thanks... good to know for next time. My Commander II's are about 10k old now and still looking great tread-wise. I'll be looking at the the III's next time for sure!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hmmm. I have the commander II and the grip in the rain sucks. Hopefully someone with the III will be able to let us know. If I could go back in time I’d had gotten the night dragons. I have Michelin road pilot 4s though on my CBR and they are the best tire ever. Handles rain like a champ. So sad the commanders are not comparable.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The IIIs are a different compound that’s supposed to be better in the rain. I’ve had mine wet a few times. They aren’t slick, but I also ride more conservative in water.

·
Rider
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I wonder what would be the better option the commands II’s or the III’s in the touring option. Almost tempted to get Perelli‘s but then I’d have to change the front as well cuz it’d bug me having missed matched but II’s in the front and III’s in the back wouldn’t bug me so much till the front wore out. It’d make it so much easier if they had 180 III’s in the cruiser option.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So I wonder what would be the better option the commands II’s or the III’s in the touring option. Almost tempted to get Perelli‘s but then I’d have to change the front as well cuz it’d bug me having missed matched but II’s in the front and III’s in the back wouldn’t bug me so much till the front wore out. It’d make it so much easier if they had 180 III’s in the cruiser option.
I doubt you would be happy with the IIIs in the touring profile if you spend much time in the curves. I put the IIIs on my scout, but when I change tires on the bobber, I will do the rear 180 with the Night Dragon GT.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have Metzeler Cruisetec's on my bike. Rear tire is 180 wide on OEM wheel. Works great in both dry and wet conditions.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hmmm. I have the commander II and the grip in the rain sucks. Hopefully someone with the III will be able to let us know. If I could go back in time I’d had gotten the night dragons. I have Michelin road pilot 4s though on my CBR and they are the best tire ever. Handles rain like a champ. So sad the commanders are not comparable.
I agree. The Commanders have long tread life, but I do not feel as if they have good cornering and rain grip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts