Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Kendas changed for Michelin Commander 2s at the 500 mile service. When I got home and inspected them, I noticed that on the sidewall of the front tyre it stated 'Rear', but with the arrow pointing in the reverse direction. I rang the dealer who told me that the front tyre is the same as the rear, simply used the other way round. Is that true, or am I being misled? I'd assumed the tread was a little different.

·
Founding member
1,760 Posts
That sounds strange. I looked it up on Revzilla and all the Michelin Command 2s have different manufacturer part numbers for the front and rear. I sense something fishy is going on here.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,247 Posts
Yup, that sounds squirrly to me too. I think the tread patterns do run in opposite directions, but swapping a rear to a front! Not sure about that one.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Very weird, take care. I might be wrong but I thought MC tires were directional

Reactions: TN1WR

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,091 Posts
The arrow should be pointing in the direction of rotation no matter if they're on the front or back.

JP cycle lists a front and rear tire as well.

Michelin 2015 Indian Scout Tires | J&P Cycles

I'd be calling BS

One thing to note though is the tire tread on the front goes from center outwards as you go down the tire but the rear goes from the edge inwards. Still sounds fishy though.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch. I had a nasty feeling that might be the case. Thanks for the advice. Obviously, I'll have to go back to the dealer next week and persuade him he was wrong.

·
Registered
955 Posts
something wrong there Graham.
You need to get the correct specs and rotation as per info on the sidewall.
See below, extracted from Michelin UK website (I've copied in just the relevant info)

MICHELIN Commander II
Width Height Type Diameter M/C (Load / Speed Index) Tubes

Front
130 90 B 16 M/C 73 H TL/TT

Rear

150 80 B 16 M/C 77 H TL/TT

·
Registered
955 Posts
ps. I'd even say you'd be better off with the Kenda front and Commander II rear, at least the sizes and structure would be the right way round (and you'd have got rid of your rear tyre that slides!)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Graham, bearing in mind time of year and new tyres anyway, I'd stay off the bike until you get it sorted. The place that put your tyres on has got it wrong.

·
Founding member
1,760 Posts
Also, once they have it sorted, I would avoid doing business with them in the future. They are either painfully ignorant when they are supposed to be experts, or swindlers trying to save a buck at the expense of your safety.

Reactions: dregol

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, once they have it sorted, I would avoid doing business with them in the future. They are either painfully ignorant when they are supposed to be experts, or swindlers trying to save a buck at the expense of your safety.
Normally I would, but it's the Indian dealer I bought the bike from, and there aren't many Indian dealers around. I suspect they were misled themselves by the company that supplied them with the tire.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
something wrong there Graham.
You need to get the correct specs and rotation as per info on the sidewall.
See below, extracted from Michelin UK website (I've copied in just the relevant info)

MICHELIN Commander II
Width Height Type Diameter M/C (Load / Speed Index) Tubes

Front
130 90 B 16 M/C 73 H TL/TT

Rear

150 80 B 16 M/C 77 H TL/TT
The thing is that Michelin also do a rear with exactly the same spec as the front - except it turns out that even put on backwards it's not a front.

·
Founding member
1,760 Posts
Normally I would, but it's the Indian dealer I bought the bike from, and there aren't many Indian dealers around. I suspect they were misled themselves by the company that supplied them with the tire.
Perhaps you are just more forgiving than I am, but for me that would be a deal breaker. The Internet says there are 12 Indian dealers in the UK. How far away is the next closest one? An extra 12 kilometers?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
My (guess) is that indicates the direction of tire rotation, regardless if it is on the front or rear.
The key to that picture is that it says "Front" and the arrow of rotation, appears that this picture was taken from the right side of the bike.
The front and rear tires on the Scout are different sizes and not the same front and rear.

Sounds like the dealer got some wrong info and is passing it on to the OP.
Take the bike back and get the proper front tire.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rang my Indian dealer again this morning to explain that I am now certain that the tire he fitted to the front is incorrect. He again tried to brush that off on the basis that he had rung the supplier who'd assured him it was correct. However, when I explained that I was scared because the handling at the front didn't seem right on the way home, and that it seemed to me that there was a slight weave (which at the time I'd tried to tell myself was the new tires settling in), he said he'd contact the supplier and get the correct tire and let me know when it is in so that he can change it.
I just hope and pray he does. This is a somewhat dubious start to a new relationship with a dealer.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Graham, Look up Mickys for the Scout on the Internet to the same sizes of the Kendas. They exist. That is what I got and have no problems. Make do certainly is not the answer. When you have the exact tyre tell him that is what you want, your the customer! By the way I live in France and Mickys are french so no excuses for them not being available in Europe.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts