Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Mesh Jacket recommendations please?

6K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  av8r000 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a V-TWIN styled mesh jacket for summer riding. I was hoping some of you have had some success with this. Thanks!

Reactions: Geoff-3
#8 · (Edited)
I would suggest looking at the Held 2 in one jackets ,they are not the cheapest but work so well and have the advantage of cooling along with the warmth when needed plus the universality of having a rain jacket included without the weight. they are expensive but great jackets. I have just purchased one then today went out and bought the bottoms /pants to match. They are so well designed and thought out but as I mentioned expensive. I would have laughed if anyone told me I would spend that much on a jacket and pants till I bought these Held is quality ,if you do nothing else look them up on you tube and see what I am talking about. Then again it comes back to what you want and price you are prepared to pay .They are so light made from Cordura that gives to the lights factor, they also include Cool Max ,the armour does not feel uncomfortable and thats the first thing that really annoys me in past clothing.Then include a life time warranty.

#9 ·
I don a Rev’It mesh jacket with level 2 shoulder elbow and back protection. It’s cool up to 90-deg riding. It’s tolerable stopped. Air flow is great. It actually cools you more than just a t-shirt. Magitistical scientological secret properties. I didn’t believe it until I took it off on a hot ride a few weeks ago. Riding, I was cooler with it on. Quality is top. Price is $200. Style... works with cruiser look. Back protector was added.

Clothing Jacket Outerwear Black Sleeve

#11 ·
I have the Indian mesh... first mesh I have owned... haven't needed it for the heat just yet and in the cool mornings (38) riding to work I just wear a sweatshirt underneath it... it works good for that so when it gets hot I'll expect the same... alibi without the sweatshirt..

#12 ·
What do you mean by "V-TWIN styled" exactly? I was unaware that there were styles associated with different engine configurations. Are there also "transverse 4", "vertical twin", "opposed twin", "opposed 4 or 6", "inline 3", or "transverse v-twin" styles also? I'm not always the most attentive to styles so maybe this is something I've missed.

Or are you just talking "pirate style" that will allow you to fit in at the bike nights without getting laughed at?

#16 ·
What do you mean by "V-TWIN styled" exactly? I was unaware that there were styles associated with different engine configurations. Are there also "transverse 4", "vertical twin", "opposed twin", "opposed 4 or 6", "inline 3", or "transverse v-twin" styles also? I'm not always the most attentive to styles so maybe this is something I've missed.

Or are you just talking "pirate style" that will allow you to fit in at the bike nights without getting laughed at?
The OP has a point. Some of the jackets on the market are cut for a upright or sportbike position. For example, my jacket (Rev'It Sand 3) is more of a sport-touring jacket, and the vents open better and flow more air when you are in that type of riding position rather than a cruiser style riding position. Had I know that, I would have bought a different jacket, as I was looking for a 4-season jacket. Once the temps get above 85 or so, I switch to my old eXelement mesh jacket.

#21 ·
I've got an Icon Contra that is a good summer mesh jacket. They are pretty reasonably priced, too. I think they are well under $150.

#25 ·
Olympia Airglide 5 Jacket - RevZilla
Comes with 2 liners, one for rain and one for cold. Very versatile and a year rounder for me, even in hot Texas sun.
If you are in Idaho and see a black Roadmaster running around with a guy wearing a red/white/black Shoei helmet with the white/black/red Olympia jacket that is me. (It did match my BMW S1000XR better). I love that jacket.

#27 ·
I have the Indian mesh and love it. I had a Joe Rocket mesh prior. They seem to be almost the same jacket imo. I also loved the Joe Rocket.
I learned the hard way about wearing all protection all the time. Got hit at 50. Mph wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt. I did wear my full face helmet that day. I took off my oversized jeans as I had stopped at my dads. He kept the house hot as Haiti!

Tons of right side road rash, three surgeries and blood clot later—- I ride for the slide now! As they say. But damn it’s hot here in humid S Ga.

Reactions: sverduzco
#28 ·
I like most of the olympia jackets, but I'm probably going to the Klim Induction or Rev'IT Tornado 2 before too long (2 of the most protective mesh jackets around, but not cheap)

I'm going to catch flak for this, but I had an indian mesh jacket. The $190 you pay breaks down to a $100 jacket with an extra $90 in style and up charge for the Indian logo. Spend the $190-$200 on a jacket without Indian branding and your skin will remain attached better if you ever go for a slide. They were made to look good, not much else.

Always be leery of a motorcycle jacket that won't tell you how thick the protective areas are. 500D is the minimum, over 800D is pretty damn good. There should be slide areas for forearms up to the elbow, shoulders, and across the back at shoulder level. Those are the most common impact and slide areas. Mesh in those areas will tear and most likely make you tumble.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.