Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Retailing at $850 USD, this is an expensive jacket, up there with some of the best. How does it compare? I don't know, because I'd never pay the price for a Langlitz or Lost Worlds, Aero, or whatever. This is more in the range of Schott and Vanson stuff, and is made in the USA, like Hillside Leathers or Fox Creek's stuff.

This is my second one, since I returned the first one for being way too big. They recently updated their sizing chart to be more accurate, but I just guessed with a Large at first, and it was like a XXL on me. I am 6' tall, 185 lbs, 42" chest, 34-36" waist. (I ordered from their site, with expensive shipping fees, with a slight discount,) I exchanged the initial size Large for a Medium, and it took more than a week to realize it was going to work for me.

The embroidery in the leather is REALLY NICE. I'm not sure how it affects the durability of the leather there, with all those holes... even with the "stiffener" or whatever they put behind the leather to reinforce it... probably not as strong as virgin horsehide, but I'm just guessing here.

When my replacement Size Medium finally arrived, I was super excited. I noticed some areas where the leather seems much thinner right away, especially on my left arm. The built-in armor was atrocious, and quickly become unbearable to wear. The armor felt all in the wrong spots, the elbow armor riding up on my triceps and the left shoulder armor digging into my shoulder badly. I removed all of it. Much better, but super baggy, and far too big for me once again.

I considered returning it again, and going for a small, but I persisted by ordering all new D-3O armor, including the back-piece. I feel this was a mandatory upgrade. The armor filled up the roominess and now it fits like a glove. The more flexible nature of the D-3O is far more comfortable and even seems like it lines up with my body perfectly now. It's amazing. The ICON D-3O back protector was too small, so I ordered the KLIM level 2, which fits dimensionally, but was too thick, so I put the Level 2 in another mesh KLIM Jacket I have that came with the thinner, Level 1, that is the same shape and size, just thinner. The thinner one works great in the Indian Liberty HorseHide Jacket now. It's perfection.

I love the jacket, but it took some work. I had to trim the new shoulder armor to make it fit right, and all in all, it was about an additional $100 expense to make this Jacket work for me. I slathered the entire thing with Obenauf's Leather Preservative Protectant Stuff. It feels really GOOD.

The hide is much thinner than the Fox Creek cowhides. They advertised 1.2-1.4mm on Indian's site, but it's definitely thinner in my left arm. Overall, the jacket is still super heavy, especially with all its new armor. It's thinner FEEL felt just as substantial in weight as the Fox Creek, yet much horsier.

It was designed to work with armor, and seemed way too baggy without it. It's a riding jacket, through and through. It doesn't have double-stitching where the Fox Creek does though. The thick (ballistic?) nylon lined pockets are much prefered over cotton.

The "insulated" vest-liner is very bad. It LOOKS great and nice materials, but it's like they mislabeled an XL liner because it's way bigger than the jacket. The liner bunches up when you zip up the jacket. Somehow, I'm going to have to get that alterationed correctly.

Even with the zippered-vents closed, they still let some cold air through, but that's to be expected... The lapel and collar are HUGE, compared to other jackets with a similar style. More vintage inspiration, but over twice as big as the Fox Creek's collar and lapel, for example. Looks like a vampire when the collar is standing up, going way up past my cheeks... Totally gets in the way of a full-face helmet when the collar is standing up as well, so there's that too.

It's so black. There is none more black with its murdered-out hardware and zips. I like that. I ride a Springfield Dark Horse, so a dark horsehide jacket seems fitting for the ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just get a Vanson
I'm not into over-spending for jackets made in El Salvador, or Pakistan... Older ones were made in the U.S.A. but I'm also not into used leathers that have been broken into a different body-shape - so Vansons are out. (I just picked up an Aero though, and have an older Vanson, made in the USA)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Looks like a nice jacket. Maybe a little too much tinkering required to get it right? I have a Fox Creek (cowhide). Perfect out of the box and just keeps getting better with age

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Thi
Retailing at $850 USD, this is an expensive jacket, up there with some of the best. How does it compare? I don't know, because I'd never pay the price for a Langlitz or Lost Worlds, Aero, or whatever. This is more in the range of Schott and Vanson stuff, and is made in the USA, like Hillside Leathers or Fox Creek's stuff.

This is my second one, since I returned the first one for being way too big. They recently updated their sizing chart to be more accurate, but I just guessed with a Large at first, and it was like a XXL on me. I am 6' tall, 185 lbs, 42" chest, 34-36" waist. (I ordered from their site, with expensive shipping fees, with a slight discount,) I exchanged the initial size Large for a Medium, and it took more than a week to realize it was going to work for me.

The embroidery in the leather is REALLY NICE. I'm not sure how it affects the durability of the leather there, with all those holes... even with the "stiffener" or whatever they put behind the leather to reinforce it... probably not as strong as virgin horsehide, but I'm just guessing here.

When my replacement Size Medium finally arrived, I was super excited. I noticed some areas where the leather seems much thinner right away, especially on my left arm. The built-in armor was atrocious, and quickly become unbearable to wear. The armor felt all in the wrong spots, the elbow armor riding up on my triceps and the left shoulder armor digging into my shoulder badly. I removed all of it. Much better, but super baggy, and far too big for me once again.

I considered returning it again, and going for a small, but I persisted by ordering all new D-3O armor, including the back-piece. I feel this was a mandatory upgrade. The armor filled up the roominess and now it fits like a glove. The more flexible nature of the D-3O is far more comfortable and even seems like it lines up with my body perfectly now. It's amazing. The ICON D-3O back protector was too small, so I ordered the KLIM level 2, which fits dimensionally, but was too thick, so I put the Level 2 in another mesh KLIM Jacket I have that came with the thinner, Level 1, that is the same shape and size, just thinner. The thinner one works great in the Indian Liberty HorseHide Jacket now. It's perfection.

I love the jacket, but it took some work. I had to trim the new shoulder armor to make it fit right, and all in all, it was about an additional $100 expense to make this Jacket work for me. I slathered the entire thing with Obenauf's Leather Preservative Protectant Stuff. It feels really GOOD.

The hide is much thinner than the Fox Creek cowhides. They advertised 1.2-1.4mm on Indian's site, but it's definitely thinner in my left arm. Overall, the jacket is still super heavy, especially with all its new armor. It's thinner FEEL felt just as substantial in weight as the Fox Creek, yet much horsier.

It was designed to work with armor, and seemed way too baggy without it. It's a riding jacket, through and through. It doesn't have double-stitching where the Fox Creek does though. The thick (ballistic?) nylon lined pockets are much prefered over cotton.

The "insulated" vest-liner is very bad. It LOOKS great and nice materials, but it's like they mislabeled an XL liner because it's way bigger than the jacket. The liner bunches up when you zip up the jacket. Somehow, I'm going to have to get that alterationed correctly.

Even with the zippered-vents closed, they still let some cold air through, but that's to be expected... The lapel and collar are HUGE, compared to other jackets with a similar style. More vintage inspiration, but over twice as big as the Fox Creek's collar and lapel, for example. Looks like a vampire when the collar is standing up, going way up past my cheeks... Totally gets in the way of a full-face helmet when the collar is standing up as well, so there's that too.

It's so black. There is none more black with its murdered-out hardware and zips. I like that. I ride a Springfield Dark Horse, so a dark horsehide jacket seems fitting for the ride.
Thinking about purchasing this jacket. I'm usually large to XL in indian jackets. After reading your review not sure to go with Large or medium. I'm 6'0 , weight 202 with 34' waist. Sounds like I'm about 17 lbs more than you, do you think I'll be fine with Large? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thi

Thinking about purchasing this jacket. I'm usually large to XL in indian jackets. After reading your review not sure to go with Large or medium. I'm 6'0 , weight 202 with 34' waist. Sounds like I'm about 17 lbs more than you, do you think I'll be fine with Large? Thanks in advance.
I'd say Medium for you. How big is your chest? I'm 42" and it's still a little baggy on me, but allows me to layer up underneath, even with all the new upgraded armors. It's breaking in SO NICELY, and I LOVE the jacket. The sleeves are also a bit too long for me, but I make it work. I bet Medium would fit you like a glove.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did try on some Indian jackets in the store, the ones NOT made in USA - they were sized way smaller - This was my experience, anyway. I ordered the Large in the Liberty at first, and this was all within the last 8 months or so, so I don't think their sizing has changed, but I don't want to be held responsible if they updated anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a Liberty; it's one of my favorites for cool weather. Thankfully I picked it up in the forum classified section for $350 last year. I'm 6' 0", 220 lbs, 44L jacket and 36 waist in most pants. My large (L) jacket works perfect.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, let me revisit this review: OMG! BEST EVER! WOW! I've had time to put around 5,000 riding miles on this jacket, and it has broken in to be the softest, most luxurious piece of garment I have ever known! It's unreal, but yes, this is my first experience with new horsehide (made in the USA). I'm so glad I made this (lifelong?) investment! My medium still feels just barely baggy with just a t-shirt, but it's perfection with a hoodie, and I've been wearing it in all conditions. Vents well (NOTHING like MESH though!), and zips the wind out well too. When rocks hit me, it does NOT Feel as substantial as a thick cowhide for deflecting the sting, but it's a close second. I think because it's so soft now. Unbelievably soft.

It's made so well, and my upgraded armor is comfortable, albeit very heavy with the jacket. I'll weigh it. 7 lbs and 9 ounces! (just weighed right now on Park Tools Bicycle digital hanging scale). It's getting better and better. It gets a 10 out of 10 score from me, after the upgraded armor of course.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One year ago I ordered a new Langlitz Jacket custom made for me... This would be my fourth jacket bought and fitted here in Portland Oregon... the cost was about 1,400.00..... I took my old jacket in and requested a exact copy except for a color change... I nearly died when they told me the jacket was ready.... I got my first Langlitz in 1973, Cow hide, measured by Ross Langlitz himself... this new one, is CRAP, you can get a better fitting better made jacket from any motorcycle shop for around 350 bucks... This new crew running the shop has found a supplier who sells ( leather ? ) that looks and feels like Faux leather, just call it Naugahyde, stiff smells stinky like plastic, probably made from recycled plastic shopping bags in China... I am PISSED.... I will continue to wear my old jacket... I would not have given 25 dollars for the current jacket if I found it at the Goodwill... jp

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
One year ago I ordered a new Langlitz Jacket custom made for me... This would be my fourth jacket bought and fitted here in Portland Oregon... the cost was about 1,400.00..... I took my old jacket in and requested a exact copy except for a color change... I nearly died when they told me the jacket was ready.... I got my first Langlitz in 1973, Cow hide, measured by Ross Langlitz himself... this new one, is CRAP, you can get a better fitting better made jacket from any motorcycle shop for around 350 bucks... This new crew running the shop has found a supplier who sells ( leather ? ) that looks and feels like Faux leather, just call it Naugahyde, stiff smells stinky like plastic, probably made from recycled plastic shopping bags in China... I am PISSED.... I will continue to wear my old jacket... I would not have given 25 dollars for the current jacket if I found it at the Goodwill... jp
Hope they gave you a refund!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
485 Posts
Okay, let me revisit this review: OMG! BEST EVER! WOW! I've had time to put around 5,000 riding miles on this jacket, and it has broken in to be the softest, most luxurious piece of garment I have ever known! It's unreal, but yes, this is my first experience with new horsehide (made in the USA). I'm so glad I made this (lifelong?) investment! My medium still feels just barely baggy with just a t-shirt, but it's perfection with a hoodie, and I've been wearing it in all conditions. Vents well (NOTHING like MESH though!), and zips the wind out well too. When rocks hit me, it does NOT Feel as substantial as a thick cowhide for deflecting the sting, but it's a close second. I think because it's so soft now. Unbelievably soft.

It's made so well, and my upgraded armor is comfortable, albeit very heavy with the jacket. I'll weigh it. 7 lbs and 9 ounces! (just weighed right now on Park Tools Bicycle digital hanging scale). It's getting better and better. It gets a 10 out of 10 score from me, after the upgraded armor of course.
It states it is 1.2-1.4mm thick Horsehide leather. So, it is not too bulky or heavy? That is my concern for comfort.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They seem to start off life that way but will quickly break into something you recognize, especially if you wear it in the rain. I have a heavy cowhide jacket that started off exactly the same way… it’s a beauty now.

As to the fit, if they got that wrong they will fix it. It’s pretty hard to find anyone with harsh words about Langlitz customer service. In truth though, I can only speak to the cowhide… I think they sell a lot of goat skin now.

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
Well, very very sorry to hear about this. I have a Langlitz I had made about 12 years ago and it is at the upper end of still fitting but does and it is so comfortable that I hardly wear the nice Indian Racer jacket I have.

Things do change when businesses change hands, I think Ross' family sold the biz and now things are different (I guess).

I had a custom set (jacket/pants) made decades back by (Ray?) Tauber (he was the son of the original Tauber) and it was the nicest leather I had ever seen up till then. But the Langlitz was even a bit nicer.

Even back then Tauber said he was getting out of the business because it was getting so hard to get the big pieces of chrome tanned black leather that he used.

The difference between high end leather and cheaper leather is whether there are any seams in the big pieces (like the legs on a pair of pants).

I bought an Indian perforated jacket and was very impressed with the quality. I have a Racer jacket and it is excellent for the price.

All in all I have found the Indian garments to be excellent value for the price.

HTH.

WD./

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not into over-spending for jackets made in El Salvador, or Pakistan... Older ones were made in the U.S.A. but I'm also not into used leathers that have been broken into a different body-shape - so Vansons are out. (I just picked up an Aero though, and have an older Vanson, made in the USA)
Vanson has pulled all their production back to the USA. I have been there twice in the past year. Their stuff is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rothco jacket is exactly what I hoped for in a tactical jacket. It is warm, lightweight for its design and has excellent fit. For the price and alteration cost it is still a great value and performs as expected. I wore it all winter with either a long sleeve underneath or a sweatshirt and it kept me plenty warm. I have not tested the water-resistance, but based on my experience with shell fabrics, I believe it will do fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts